Ideal setup for my hardware, DAC and 2 Amps
Jul 7, 2015 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

andlight91

New Head-Fier
Hello All,
I currently have an Audinst Hud-MX1 as my primary DAC/Amp for my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT990 600 OHM), and I have an SMSL SA50 amp for my Audio Engine P4 bookshelf speakers.
I am looking into getting a dedicated Tube Amp for my headphones, but I am running into a serious problem.  As my current AMP/Dac only have two outputs, one headphone and one rca.  I might be interested in getting a new dac.

The issue that I am wondering is if I bought the Schiit Valhalla 2, which has an extra RCA output, would there be problems with it running into the SMSL amplifier for my speakers?
Thanks

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hello All,
I currently have an Audinst Hud-MX1 as my primary DAC/Amp for my headphones (Beyerdynamic DT990 600 OHM), and I have an SMSL SA50 amp for my Audio Engine P4 bookshelf speakers.
I am looking into getting a dedicated Tube Amp for my headphones, but I am running into a serious problem.  As my current AMP/Dac only have two outputs, one headphone and one rca.  I might be interested in getting a new dac.

The issue that I am wondering is if I bought the Schiit Valhalla 2, which has an extra RCA output, would there be problems with it running into the SMSL amplifier for my speakers?
Thanks

That should work.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Is there any danger to my speakers by running them through two different amplifiers?

The RCA line-outputs on the Valhalla 2 is not an "amplifier" signal, like the one that comes out the headphone jack
I would assume the RCA outputs function more like something on a pre-amplifier.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 8
So basically it just acts like a pass through for the signal

Yep, basically acts like a pass through.
I'm assuming the Schiit volume knob works for both the headphone and line-output (RCA).
But you might email Schiit directly, they know their product way better them my little brain does.
But yea. it's a pass though (I checked their web site).
http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 8

Yep, basically acts like a pass through.
I'm assuming the Schiit volume knob works for both the headphone and line-output (RCA).
But you might email Schiit directly, they know their product way better them my little brain does.
But yea. it's a pass though (I checked their web site).
http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2

Well the issue that I'm wondering is that my speakers are not powered.  I have a separate amp for them in the way of the SMSL SA50.  Will passing through the power of a tube amp to that ruin them?

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 8
  Well the issue that I'm wondering is that my speakers are not powered.  I have a separate amp for them in the way of the SMSL SA50.  Will passing through the power of a tube amp to that ruin them?

Nope, will not ruin them, the RCA line-outputs on the Valhalla are really expected to be connected to a speaker amplifier or other amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back