- no radio support
- no video support
- no apps support
- no camera
- no phone
- no internet browsing
- no syncing crap
- etc.

It's a portable music player, not a portable everything-in-one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!

If these companies are reading this, well I really hope they can stop adding useless features to their MUSIC PLAYERS, and focus on things that matter.

Most people already have cameras in their phones (What??) and of course people who care about taking quality pictures have a REAL camera, so don't add them in our MUSIC PLAYERS too. Same goes with all the rest.

OK, I realize the opposite idea is what sells to teenage girls and idiots all over the planet, but there must be a market for smarter users as well. There must be a market for users who appreciate UNIX, who appreciate the best tools for 1 task rather than tools that do 20 tasks crappy, powerful rather than looking pretty.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 43
There are quite a few examples of your ideal PMP out there, yet the device you describe is pretty rare. There are only a couple usable wifi PMPs, one being cancelled (Zune) leaving the iPod Touch and the soon coming Samsung Galaxy PMP as the only 2 choices.

I don't have a smart phone because the data plans and such are prohibitive so the little LG flip-phone I have takes terrible pictures. I'd like a decent camera to have with me all the time. FM radio is hit or miss with most players not supporting it, though if I were building a PMP for audio only I would certainly build it in. Video support I can definitely see as well as the touch screen (adding a significant amount of the cost), but my they are pretty.. Syncing is a nice feature if you manage your content well, and really doesn't add much cost or complexity. I've never seen it be the mandatory way to load music onto a PMP, but I haven't seen every player out there, either. Apps kind of go with the video/touchscreen, but can be handy while on the go (and not owning a smart phone).

I understand what you want, but my needs are almost polar to yours. The market has to serve everyone willing to buy.

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 43

Quote:
- small physical size
- small screen
- simple interface
- higher focus on audio quality

- no touch screen
- no radio support
- no video support
- no apps support
- no camera
- no phone
- no internet browsing
- no syncing crap
- etc.

It's a portable music player, not a portable everything-in-one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!

If these companies are reading this, well I really hope they can stop adding useless features to their MUSIC PLAYERS, and focus on things that matter.

Most people already have cameras in their phones (What??) and of course people who care about taking quality pictures have a REAL camera, so don't add them in our MUSIC PLAYERS too. Same goes with all the rest.

OK, I realize the opposite idea is what sells to teenage girls and idiots all over the planet, but there must be a market for smarter users as well. There must be a market for users who appreciate UNIX, who appreciate the best tools for 1 task rather than tools that do 20 tasks crappy, powerful rather than looking pretty​

There's tons of options available, and most include various combos of the feature you DON'T want on a DAP. Give a few examples of players you like, then we can help w/your choosing 1.

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 43
no they dont.  i dont see any reasonn why someone shouldnt want a dedicated device than something trynig to be "pretty, shiney" so tards who dont give a crap about how it sounds will buy it.  personally i do not and nor can i see me ever wanting a pmp that is touch screen is so i can look like a cock showing it off to the world.  "oooh look every one i have a iCrap, that makes me better than you"

i want to be able to play music, and i want real buttons so i can use it without having to look it. 

well that was quite an edit, but i dont care im leaving my rant in

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 43
To me it looks like t the OP has not really checked all the stuff that is out there and the purist he wants to be is just the result of no research in this field. 

Why the heck would it mean that a device with a radio is worse at playing music than one without it? And so on and so forth.

Give some real requirements so people know what you are after and we can help, do not exclude features that have nothing to do with actual audio quality.

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 43
If money is spent on including a radio circuit and a video circuit, less money is spent on the quality of the audio circuitry. That's simple.

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 43

Quote:
If money is spent on including a radio circuit and a video circuit, less money is spent on the quality of the audio circuitry. That's simple.

Not necessarily....it'll just mean a little more is spent overall in development. Good luck finding a player that has neither radio or video on it, unless you buy an older model or an iPod shuffle!
wink_face.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 43

Quote:

True. Actually having a radio wouldn't be horrible for me since it's still part of music, it's just completely unnecessary for me (and most people). Radio broadcast is such low quality, I'm shocked that anyone on head-fi would listen to it! :wink:

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:
If it has everything you want, and more.. how is it a bad thing?

Ahh, well, because having "more" generally comes with a reduced quality of the overall product as well as a reduced quality of "everything I want", and an inflated price. Also: more ways to break, more ways to take up useless space, more low quality features that overlap with my other devices, more ways to constantly annoy me, etc.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 43

Quote:
Radio broadcast is such low quality, I'm shocked that anyone on head-fi would listen to it! :wink:

Listen to the news is so shocking ?
tongue.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #14 of 43

Quote:
Ahh, well, because having "more" generally comes with a reduced quality of the overall product as well as a reduced quality of "everything I want", and an inflated price. Also: more ways to break, more ways to take up useless space, more low quality features that overlap with my other devices, more ways to constantly annoy me, etc.

Manufacturers use chips with many integrated functions to lower the costs.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
no they dont.  i dont see any reasonn why someone shouldnt want a dedicated device than something trynig to be "pretty, shiney" so tards who dont give a crap about how it sounds will buy it.  personally i do not and nor can i see me ever wanting a pmp that is touch screen is so i can look like a cock showing it off to the world.  "oooh look every one i have a iCrap, that makes me better than you"

i want to be able to play music, and i want real buttons so i can use it without having to look it. 

well that was quite an edit, but i dont care im leaving my rant in

Agreed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back