ideal IEM @ a budget cost
Dec 4, 2008 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jrazmar

500+ Head-Fier
i have been reading reviews, comments and views from this forum since the time i discovered that this forum "shapens" or somehow greatly influences the mind of those audiophiles out there craving to satisfy their sonic desires. i am not an audiophile (i don't know if i am ) but i have a critical ear for music. each time i heard someone says something good or even bad about a certain IEM/earphones for that matter, some kind of light bulb appears above my head
ksc75smile.gif
to cut the crap, i have enlisted here some potential earphones in my wish list for christmas. Would anybody rate them according to which sounds best or ideal in general. an ideal IEM for me may not mean the same to everybody here. so to "universalize" the term, let's mean ideal as balanced, natural-sounding, undistorted highs, nice mids (not forward nor recessed) & clean bass (not overwhelming nor lacking) plus with a very good soundstage and detail-revealing for an IEM
darthsmile.gif
you may add some comments also. appreciate your feedback.
  1. pl30
  2. ne-7m
  3. er6i
  4. super.fi 3 studio
  5. re-2
  6. iM716
  7. se210
  8. um1
  9. c551
  10. cx95
  11. Jbuds J2
  12. lenntek sonnix
  13. apple iem
  14. phonak audeo
  15. uhp336
  16. ksc75

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 6
If u want to fulfill all those requirements, not many IEM will suit that. Maybe UE10, UE11 etc will do but not budget IEM, for sure...

Even top universal IEM are not perfect, this includes W3, TF10P, SE530, IE8, etc

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 6
I'd say you'd get the most "balanced" sound from the ER6i, likely (Most reliable, proven bet here). The Super.fi 3 Studio and UHP336 are the same, just rebranded.

If you believe anythingbutipod.com, the Phonak Audeo IEMs are supposed to be a bit more bassy than the ER6i (which are anemic) with about the same or slightly better audio quality.

HeadphoneAddict and tstarn06 rate the NE-7M up there with or even better than ~$150 IEMs. The NE-8 is supposed to sound even better, but no conclusive reviews have been seen yet.

@quanganh101090: The Denon C551 or C751 is likely your best cheap bass IEM option.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 6
I have small ear canals and I don't like IEMs too much but I don't have a choice to use one for my workout / jogging sessions. It would be silly to run with a full size headphone
biggrin.gif

I bought recently a pair of Denon AH-C551 from eBay for 55$us
I cannot comment on the sound quality for the moment because I haven't received it yet eheh. The price difference between the C551 and C751 is pretty huge (55$ vs 105$) and the C751 stick out a bit too much for my taste.

I was hesitating between the Denon C551 or ER6i. If I don't like the Denon I will order a pair of ER6i for sure

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 6
I got the Denon C551 from ebay (use the 20-25% cashback!) awhile ago. So far so good; it like it better than my e2c. I think the bass is a tad too much with the black olive sleeve, so I use the shure foamie which to me sounds balance and I'm happy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back