Ideal Entry Level Setup.
Mar 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

heavyecho

New Head-Fier
New to the site & also higher-end audio concepts as well...

Just looking for some input about a good USB DAC as well as head phone amp.  I was looking at the Maverick Audio products as well as products from Nuforce.  Budget would be ideally around $500 for both. Not going to be hooking anything up to a sound card, just going from USB to whatever DAC I choose.  I appreciate any advice in advance.

~HE

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 8
I currently use the CEntrance DACPort for that purpose.      http://centrance.com/products/dacport/

I have also used the Ray Samuels Audio Predator.    http://raysamuelsaudio.com/products/predator

DACPort = 299    Predator = 475

Predator is a better amp to be sure, and has the RSA house sound, and will work as a regular portable amp as well.  The DACPort has no battery, and will only work when connected to USB.  Two downsides to the Predator to me are that the battery for the amp has to be charged via its own wall wart, the DAC part runs from the USB.  The second is that the Predator uses the more common USB 1.0 (Adaptive) where the CEntrance USB implementation is much better regarded, while still not asynchronous. 

These are the 2 that I have used.  I think you are at a decent budget level to get a nice sound, and it is my recommended method to start audiophile listening.  Just get a nice pair of headphones that match your music taste, and away you go.

I tend to take my DACPort with me for laptop use mostly, as I find it a pain to keep the Predator charged.  As a stay at your desk device, that might not make as much difference, since the wallwart would be there for use.

A bit higher in the budget there are some really nice units - the CEntrance unit is 800 or so, and there are more.  Also a great duo at Headroom for less than 700  http://www.headphone.com/packages/headroom-micro-amp--micro-dac-package.php

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 8
How about a DAC with a good headphone amp? NuForce HD is about $350; I've only tried the HDP but the only difference is the preamp. The amp isn't the most powerful out there but it's transparent*, this way you can hear the DAC more than the amp, as far as tonality is concerned. With my HD600 it's very good at my regular listening level - bass is forceful, mids are warm and detailed/nuanced, treble is still as detailed but softer for long listening sessions - but pushed beyond that*, at about 1:00 on the dial, the bass distorts, but not when using the preamp with a huge speaker amp. I'd imagine the efficiency of the Sennheiser is offset by the the NuForce's output at that impedance, but I can't be sure about how it does with other cans.

*Tried it with a Plinius dual mono power amplifier on Polk RTi speakers and Paradgims, and the sound is consistent
**Which I do only for those special songs that I really like

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Something like a HRT MS+ and an Objective2 amp and you're set! :)

I appreciate the feedback! Any links to site that sell those products?

Quote:
I currently use the CEntrance DACPort for that purpose.      http://centrance.com/products/dacport/

I have also used the Ray Samuels Audio Predator.    http://raysamuelsaudio.com/products/predator

DACPort = 299    Predator = 475

Predator is a better amp to be sure, and has the RSA house sound, and will work as a regular portable amp as well.  The DACPort has no battery, and will only work when connected to USB.  Two downsides to the Predator to me are that the battery for the amp has to be charged via its own wall wart, the DAC part runs from the USB.  The second is that the Predator uses the more common USB 1.0 (Adaptive) where the CEntrance USB implementation is much better regarded, while still not asynchronous. 

These are the 2 that I have used.  I think you are at a decent budget level to get a nice sound, and it is my recommended method to start audiophile listening.  Just get a nice pair of headphones that match your music taste, and away you go.

I tend to take my DACPort with me for laptop use mostly, as I find it a pain to keep the Predator charged.  As a stay at your desk device, that might not make as much difference, since the wallwart would be there for use.

A bit higher in the budget there are some really nice units - the CEntrance unit is 800 or so, and there are more.  Also a great duo at Headroom for less than 700  http://www.headphone.com/packages/headroom-micro-amp--micro-dac-package.php

Much appreciated! Very detailed feedback and links as well :) Thanks again!

Quote:
How about a DAC with a good headphone amp? NuForce HD is about $350; I've only tried the HDP but the only difference is the preamp. The amp isn't the most powerful out there but it's transparent*, this way you can hear the DAC more than the amp, as far as tonality is concerned. With my HD600 it's very good at my regular listening level - bass is forceful, mids are warm and detailed/nuanced, treble is still as detailed but softer for long listening sessions - but pushed beyond that*, at about 1:00 on the dial, the bass distorts, but not when using the preamp with a huge speaker amp. I'd imagine the efficiency of the Sennheiser is offset by the the NuForce's output at that impedance, but I can't be sure about how it does with other cans.

*Tried it with a Plinius dual mono power amplifier on Polk RTi speakers and Paradgims, and the sound is consistent
**Which I do only for those special songs that I really like

I was really set on the NuForce HDP, but I wanted to grab more opinions since I really have very little as far as knowledge is concerned with higher-grade audio equipment. Headphone budget aside, I think I might start to favor the NuForce a bit more...however, other options also seem so tempting...! Can tell now this is going to be an addicting (and expensive ><) hobby.

Thank you again all for replying - it means a lot :)

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 8
Anyone have any experience with Maverick Audio? Their stuff seems interesting, but I'd be nervous getting and purchasing something overseas (identity theft is a fear of mine) - has anyone dealt with them?  I have seen plenty of positive reviews, and I want to consider all options BEFORE spending the money!

Thanks again all! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back