Idea: Database of subjective tests - headphone to favorite music
Oct 2, 2005 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

patricklang

100+ Head-Fier
Something that I feel is lacking from here is a good way to help people match what phones are subjectively good with their music. The reviews seem to be mainly focused around a balance of musical types, with some notable exceptions such as the groovalizer threads.

I think something people should have at their disposal when seeking advise from us is also a list of the phones people who listen to similar music tend to like. For example, I love 501's for most of my electronic collection and classical for the speed, but can't stand them for rock. Someone who listens primarily to rock may be better served with a Grado, AKG 240, DT770, ...

So, here's my thought:
- Set up a site where you submit the following:
- A song title & artist
- Your personal 3 top phones for that song/artist based on FIRST-HAND listening
- A short comment describing your opinion, equipment used, etc

Once an artist has more than X submissions, it will show up in the rankings for that artist. We will tally the votes together, rank the recommended phones, and present a list with links to the submitted comments.

The next step in searching would be to put in a list of artists or songs that you enjoy, and that will get more datapoints into the list, and hopefully a more accurate ranking.

I have thought long and hard about including more equipment into the ranking to recommend an amp, etc, but I've come to this - the headphones matter more than anything. Once you have leads on what you should listen to and consider for purchase, you can search here for amp recommendations, etc.

What do you guys think?

Oct 2, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd be willing to donate my time and PHP/MySQL skills for this. Might even be able to get free hosting for it too.

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm probably going to develop this in ASP.net, as I prefer it to PHP and already have free web/db hosting. Right now I'm mainly looking for comments around what should be the core features, how many votes it takes before an artist is listed, etc.

I think I'm going to write up a DB schema and post it, and we'll see what other info we would want to track. Too much info = too difficult to post & read, but not enough info = useless.

Also, what tie-ins to other sites would be useful, etc. I'm planning to talk to Commando re: linking to headphonereviews.org full reviews from my listings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back