Idea: CMOY and iPod nano in one tin?
Sep 25, 2005 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

carsncars

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking this could be a reality... I mean, the CMOY I have doesn't reach the lid of the tin, and with a little modification I'm sure I could fit a nano in there, either layered over the CMOY or attached to the lid. This'd be awesome.. like that Kenwood DAP but with a customizable amp!

Gotta try this tomorrow... Thoughts?

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 10
It sounds interesting, like a unified-dap/amp within a compact box.

If you can somehow wire it up so there is no "input jack" but rather so that it collects the iPod line-out signal internally = simple, small + good sound.

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm thinking I'll use the extra SiK DiN I have, and take it out of its casing.. that way I could keep it in one tin for all but the volume knob and headphone jack.

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 10
what you might be able to do is just cut the top lid open to expose the lcd screen and the controls. that is if its small enough to fit in the tin itself. then you can use double sided tape, velcro or what not

i dont know much about the ipod nano's

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucifur
what you might be able to do is just cut the top lid open to expose the lcd screen and the controls. that is if its small enough to fit in the tin itself. then you can use double sided tape, velcro or what not

i dont know much about the ipod nano's

Yeah, cut open the top, put in some nice padding and some supports for the nano inside the box, so it can pretty much act as a unified DAP...

...now if you really wanna get techie and complicated, try wiring a dock connector at the bottom, so you can charge and transfer without ever taking it out (you know... those OEM connectors you find online)
evil_smiley.gif

Ah but the imagination runs

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_
Yeah, cut open the top, put in some nice padding and some supports for the nano inside the box, so it can pretty much act as a unified DAP...

...now if you really wanna get techie and complicated, try wiring a dock connector at the bottom, so you can charge and transfer without ever taking it out (you know... those OEM connectors you find online)
evil_smiley.gif

Ah but the imagination runs

well thats only if you can get the nano inside, the battery goes almost right to the top of the tin.

Maybe you could velcro the nano to the tin.
cool.gif

It might fit better if you made some kind of custom case, out of thin wood or something

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, I can't get it to fit with satisfaction. At first I was going to pound out the tin a bit, but then I had another Idea-- I went to Fry's and bought three compact 6v Li-Ion cells, smaller than the 9vs. It now fits perfect in there, with the exception of one component that'll need replacing.. anyhow, it's not much more trouble to plug in two jacks rather than one.

The new rechargeable cells cost me 34$ total, and they supposedly have a higher mAh rating than the normal 9v, but I'll have to test out their battery life. I don't mind recharging them every night, so we'll see...

My only concern is that rechargeable batteries have a more significant slump as their charge wears down, so I'll see how this effects the CMOY's performance. Otherwise I'll try pounding out the tin-- it doesn't need much to fit in there.

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 10
tehre are mip threee players that are smaller than the nano (physical outside dimensions) sadly they are also smaller memory size.

but regardless, getting one of em into a mint tin with a moy should be no trouble. you may even be able to swing a mint...

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 10
this is a super cool idea.  you can look here for a step by step disassembly of the ipod touch nano.  If you can remove the jacks in both the nano and cmoy, and directly connect the line out wire to the cmoy input, you can create a apple driven DAP with superior sound.  Another idea to add, if the amp could be turned on when the nano is turned on instead of having an external switch (I don't know if that overly complicates things).  I like the idea of have a connector in the bottom of the cmoy tin, you could sink and charge like a normal apple device.  Another idea would be to somehow incorporate an ipod classic into this whole setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back