Id3 tag organization
Jan 20, 2006 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hhenryks

Head-Fier
I am basically looking to do a complete overhaul of my music orginization from top to bottom. What is the best way to edit ID3 tags. I would like to be able to edit whole albums at a time and such. And iTunes isn't an option, as I uninstalled it today after becoming fed up with it, and in combination with the fact that I have a Zen MicroPhoto now. Also, how do all you guys organize your music. I'm trying to find a new way to do it and keep it neat, and what program do you use to listen to music with.

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 6
There are a number of programs that can do 'mass-tagging' of whole albums or even whole libraries.

I use JRiver Media Center, it is great for tagging and organizing. It also has some pretty sophisticated features for sorting and displaying your library.
Playback is excellent, ASIO and Direct-X are available. Ripping is by Secure-Rip and their built-in burner works rather well also. There is a good deal of support for portables of various manufacturers, as well as for some PnP devises.

By using the file and folder names as the input, most tags can be filled in automatically. Especially if your file and folder naming is based on Album, Artist, Track #, Name. Any additional fields which may not be provided by the file & folder names can be filled in either using a plug-in they have called aTagger.

People on their message board are really helpful too.

I'd suggest giving the 30-day trail a go.
[size=xx-small](http://www.jrmediacenter.com/) [/size]

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I use media monkey for all my tagging needs. It's able to use lots of different methods to tag as many (or as few) files as you want at a time and is able to search through amazon to find stuff that you've not got tags/filenames for already.

Then it has a nifty move function that I use to move my tagged music so that it's all in a Artist\Album\track_number - track_name.mp3 format so that I know how it all goes very easily. I would say that the help for it isn't that easy (though I never tried anything but using it straight off as I've done with any software that I use) but it's not that hard to pick up.

Worth looking at if your interested. I think it also uses LAME to rip files (not too sure though) but I tend to stick with EAC for ripping anyway.

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
I use media monkey for all my tagging needs. It's able to use lots of different methods to tag as many (or as few) files as you want at a time and is able to search through amazon to find stuff that you've not got tags/filenames for already.

Then it has a nifty move function that I use to move my tagged music so that it's all in a Artist\Album\track_number - track_name.mp3 format so that I know how it all goes very easily. I would say that the help for it isn't that easy (though I never tried anything but using it straight off as I've done with any software that I use) but it's not that hard to pick up.

Worth looking at if your interested. I think it also uses LAME to rip files (not too sure though) but I tend to stick with EAC for ripping anyway.

Files stored like above mentioned (bolded text) + MP3TagEditor.

MP3TagEditor
is an intuitive audio utility that helps you to manage your MP3s. By means of MP3TagEditor you can easily edit ID3 tags, create MP3 filenames and MP3 directories using ID3 tag information, retrieve the album information using the FreeDB function.

MP3TagEditor gives you a possibility of playlist and report creation and much more. For example, you can create any mask for new filenames using the information from ID3 tags (number, name, artist, album, year, etc.) and also rename either single ID3 tag or your entire musical collection.

Friendly, easy-to-use interface makes your work with MP3TagEditor enjoyable and efficient. MP3TagEditor is an ideal solution for those who deal with MP3 files and want to keep their musical collection in order.

Short features:

edits ID3 tags
creates filename from ID3 tag
filename for tag converting
tagging files
plays files

jiitee

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Tag & Rename is one of THE best tag editing progs i've ever used. It's VERY versatile, and customizable. It also includes a search thing that lets you add album art to your collection, very handy if you have an Ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back