i'd like to upgrade my marantz, any good cd-players within $1000?
Oct 19, 2002 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

4ever_HD-600

New Head-Fier
i am using marantz cd-19a, seductive sound, but not very transparent and bright, could u give me some ideas if there're more choice within $1000 out of marantz cd-17 ?

i usually listen to classical music, jazz..

cd-19 can't perform good violin sound(compare with cd-17, not bright enough).. that's the main reason i wanna do upgrade..

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 33
In that case I'd probably try to compare Arcam, Marantz (the new CD-17 MkII M has just appeared on the market), Rega and one of Sony's SACD-players... On the other hand it might make sense to check for available mods for your old Marantz first.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 33
If possible, give a listen to an Arcam CD72T. I am using one through a Bel Canto DAC. "Seductive" is a good general description of what I hear.

Oct 20, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 33
Early this week I got a Philips SACD1000 from Oade Bros. $820.00 delivered to Seattle area. This is an outstanding CDP, both SACD and Redbook sound fantastic.
I'm at around 50 hours on the SACD laser now. SRV Texas Flood SACD track 8, Dirty Pool playing now........ this song ROCKS!

Oct 20, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan H

I'm at around 50 hours on the SACD laser now. SRV Texas Flood SACD track 8, Dirty Pool playing now........ this song ROCKS!

hahahaha
biggrin.gif

enjoy ur listening..
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan H
Early this week I got a Philips SACD1000 from Oade Bros. $820.00 delivered to Seattle area. This is an outstanding CDP, both SACD and Redbook sound fantastic.

I have this player too, and while it is sonically a great player, a good number of users have reported loud and coarse running transports. Indeed, mine is one of them. In my case it only happens on some redbook discs, but the noise is loud enough to be bothersome at the least, and at other times downright irritating. Luckily, the problem only shows up on a few discs.

Oades has a return policy that includes a hefty restocking fee, and I'm not sure but I believe they are treating this malady as a feature.

Oct 20, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 33
I've actually heared good things about the philips player.

If it were me, I would wait untill the Naim CDS3 CD player comes out.

Honestly... in the 1000$ range, there are quite a few options. Just go to your local dealer and audition some stuff. Seriously... for a player that expensive, i wouldn't buy online even if it is cheaper. You want to be able to get the thing fixed if it breaks down.

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by final-fantasy
our local stores provide musical fidelity.. acram.. marantz.. denon.. cary.. krell

if i purchase one i would choose from these...

I don't think Cary or Krell sell anything for less than US$1K.

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I've actually heared good things about the philips player.

If it were me, I would wait untill the Naim CDS3 CD player comes out.

Honestly... in the 1000$ range, there are quite a few options. Just go to your local dealer and audition some stuff. Seriously... for a player that expensive, i wouldn't buy online even if it is cheaper. You want to be able to get the thing fixed if it breaks down.

The SACD 1000 is now Stan Warren's reference mod machine, fwiw.

I wouldn't count out the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 from Upscale Audio. A great player with great dealer support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back