I'd like to upgrade my AD-900s to something with some more bass for dance music.
May 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HelloMelly

New Head-Fier
I've been using the same pair of ATH-AD900s for about 4-6 hours a day, almost every day, for maybe 7 years now. When I bought them I was into more bluesy stuff and indie pop, but now my tastes have shifted and I'm more and more into dance music. This song off the new Martyn album is a good example of what I'm talking about. The bass on the AD-900s is a bit light for that, so I'd like to upgrade them to something with more low end. 

I'd really appreciate some recommendations to that end. My budget can go up to ~$300 for something really good, I don't make much but I'm willing to make headphones  an investment since I use them so much. I do own an amp, but it's a pretty basic O1 DAC/amp combo unit, so I don't know if that's adequate or important. Leaking, size, etc are irrelevant to me, comfort's nice but not vital, I just want good sound. 

I've seen that the A900x and AD900x are now for sale, reportedly with a better low end, and their prices are good. Has anyone used both those and the AD900s, to compare? Is the 900x bass really that noticably different, good enough for heavy dance music? 

May 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 3
  I've been using the same pair of ATH-AD900s for about 4-6 hours a day, almost every day, for maybe 7 years now. When I bought them I was into more bluesy stuff and indie pop, but now my tastes have shifted and I'm more and more into dance music. This song off the new Martyn album is a good example of what I'm talking about. The bass on the AD-900s is a bit light for that, so I'd like to upgrade them to something with more low end. 

I'd really appreciate some recommendations to that end. My budget can go up to ~$300 for something really good, I don't make much but I'm willing to make headphones  an investment since I use them so much. I do own an amp, but it's a pretty basic O1 DAC/amp combo unit, so I don't know if that's adequate or important. Leaking, size, etc are irrelevant to me, comfort's nice but not vital, I just want good sound. 

I've seen that the A900x and AD900x are now for sale, reportedly with a better low end, and their prices are good. Has anyone used both those and the AD900s, to compare? Is the 900x bass really that noticeably different, good enough for heavy dance music? 

I own the ATH-AD700, ATH-A900Xs and ATH-W1000Xs.
I like to think my A900Xs provides a very balanced audio (bass/mids/treble) and the ATH-AD700s are just too bass light to enjoy a lot of audio.
From my understanding the AD900s only offer a little more bass then the AD700s

May 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Dang, man, that's really heavy headphone use, don't you think?  Don't kill your ears.

Give the AKG K545 a go.  If that one doesn't make you happy, try DT770Pro or ATH-M50x.
Q701 with the bass mod might be another possibility.  Some people love DT990Pro.  I think its bass is awful and the mids/treble balance puts me off.
If you save up more, a used or open-box Beyerdynamic T90 is quite incredible.

Give them all a go if you can, but I recommend K545 first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back