I'd like to try my first IEM. Please offer recomendations!
Feb 1, 2010 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
This is fun, I haven't started a recomendation thread in a long time. Recently, I've noticed that in some ways I enjoy my ksc-75 more than any other phones just because they are small, they don't fall off when I walk around, I can lie down however I want, they're light, etc.

I was always scared of how far into the ears you have to put IEM's (or whatever other kinds, I don't know the differences) but I'd like to give it a try. So I was wondering if yall could offer some recommendations. Maybe something that doesn't go too far into the ears.

price range max is the value of HD650, cause I'll be trying to trade them.

I'd like them to be fairly neutral, no harshness at all or even close, sweet mids, no recessed mids, and I like more bass than k701. Here's my thoughts on a few phones:

HD600: nice balance, but a little dull sometimes. I'm not really sure where this comes from, I'm not entirelly conviced it's from "veil" because I don't feel like I'm missing treble specifically

K701: nice airyness, but I think they sound plasticy and too much treble/upper mids, not enough bass or fullness. I prefer K501, which sounds more coherent to me, but still not enough bass/lowermids/fullness

HF2: nice, but the mids seemed slightly recessed

every other John Grado w/bowl pads: way too much treble, it hurts my ears

K240 Sextett: wonderful mids, great seperation, tone is amazing- instruments sound just like they should, very lifelike. but bass is bloated, and treble is grainy and maybe recessed

every audio technica except for the ATH-M50 has too much treble for me, as do all the ultrasones.

HP1000: perfect headphone

I was thinking of the RE0, but read reports of recessed mids, so I backed away slowly. Recently I've been thinking SE530, but read someone say they are harsh. But to be fair, I've read the exact opposite a lot too.

thanks! I know nothing about these little buggers and have no idea where to start.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 18
The RE0 has slightly recessed mids, but they can be "fixed" with the de-foam mod (I haven't tried this yet myself, but I probably will soon). Also, the RE0 mids become a lot fuller with amping; it really is noticeable even with a Fiio.

If you've kept your phones in good condition you might want to sell them and get the TF10 and then customize it. Or maybe that CK10, which is often compared to the RE0 favorably.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 18
My first IEM's and so far only IEM's have been the SE530's. I absolutely love them and would recommend them especially if you want to have some sweet mids.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 18
I don't find the mids of the HF2 to be at all recessed, which makes me think that a balanced armature earphone like the SE530 may be a good choice for you because it has lush, forward mids. It is not a harsh sounding earphone overall. However, its highs are slightly rolled-off and lack the finesse of some other earphones. Its bass presentation is tight. This earphone penetrates the ear more deeply than the IE8 or the TF10.

The IE8 is another earphone worth considering as its presentation reminds me of full-sized dynamic driver headphones. It is a warm phone, with nice treble extension and midrange. It has a large soundstage for an earphone and an airy presentation. But it is a bassy phone. Despite this, it's wonderfully engaging and I do prefer its sound signature to the SE530.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 18
Some people seem to think the IE8 sounds similar to the HD650. I have never heard the HD650 though so you'll have to see if one of the people who has owned both can chime in.

The UM3X is very balanced. The mids and just about everything else about it is smooth.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 18
Another thing, none of my earphones hold a candle to the HF2. It has superior clarity, detail and highs. It also presents music with verve. You've listed some impressive headphones, and I think that you should be prepared for a trade-off in sound quality for the convenience and portability that universal earphones offer. Although custom IEMs such as the JH13 PRO are a very different proposition.

I have owned the UM3X and although it is a balanced earphone as Zalithian describes, I found it to be a dull listen. It also had the most constricted presentation of any earphone that I've heard. I would recommend the SE530 over it. All in my opinion of course.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the responses

I'll have to look up the TF10 and IE8. How far does the SE530 go into the ear? Further than the Ety musician earplugs?

I doubt it but I'm not sure. The TF10 and the IE8 are shallow fitting earphones, whereas the SE530 inserts more deeply. The advantage of this is that the SE530 provides excellent noise attenuation, that is more effective than the other two. I don't find it at all uncomfortable to wear for extended listening periods.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 18
E-Q7, ATH_CK100, UM3x and W3...........

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing, none of my earphones hold a candle to the HF2. It has superior clarity, detail and highs. It also presents music with verve. You've listed some impressive headphones, and I think that you should be prepared for a trade-off in sound quality for the convenience and portability that universal earphones offer. Although custom IEMs such as the JH13 PRO are a very different proposition.

I have owned the UM3X and although it is a balanced earphone as Zalithian describes, I found it to be a dull listen. It also had the most constricted presentation of any earphone that I've heard. I would recommend the SE530 over it. All in my opinion of course.

I recently gave up on my UM3X and went back to the REO because I find it more transparent and open sounding. I also removed the foam inside which does help them a little, but to me the mids are already quite nice. For the money they are a great IEM and probably a good way to try IEMs out to see if you even like something stuck in your ear.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Am a user of tf10 here, it sure doesn't fit all the way in so it's good but the reccessed mids is a bother to me...

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 18
a head-fi friend of mine whom I trust says the SE-530 has sizzling harsh treble even though it is rolled off, and he recommended a 100$ pair of Denons- the CK-710 or something like that- likening them to vintage AKG and Fostex.

anyone have any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back