I'd like more forward mids than sennheiser hd595 but similar sound.
May 10, 2005 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

taymat

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like slightly brighter, more forward mids, but with no harshness or sibilance and keeping a similar treble/bass response to the 595s. I still don't like my sr-325i (I've got a cmoy like amp and audiophile usb coming so we'll see if they make a difference) and the only real fault with the 595s is the hole at 4-5khz. I can definately hear it because when I tried the 595s on my bros rio karma I tried lots of eq settings, and the one that put the drive and snap back was about +4db at 4khz/5khz.
I'd like opinions on the beyerdynamic dt-880/990, newer akg 501 and other headphones you think I'd like (assume they're amped-suggestions for synergistic amps would be helpful) compared to the 595, thanks.

May 10, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 13
Sounds like Beyerdynamic's DT880 should fit your bill. DT880 has more forward upper midrange and low high frequency. Although I haven't done side-by-side comparison, I highly recommend DT880. It's one smooth sounding pair of cans.
icon10.gif

May 10, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 13
You won't get more forward mids from beyer, if anything, they have slightly recessed mids. k501 has more forward guitars than 595 but less forward vocals. You can try downgrading to sr225 (from 325i) which has less peak at upper mids (according to graph)

May 10, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 13
What you're hearing from your 595 should be the natural sense of distance and proportion of instruments - at least, such is the reason of being of the dip at 4-5 Khz. It's part of the designing guidelines/philosophy of sennheiser, in fact, as you may notice, it's common to all their higher end phones.

May 10, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
What you're hearing from your 595 should be the natural sense of distance and proportion of instruments - at least, such is the reason of being of the dip at 4-5 Khz. It's part of the designing guidelines/philosophy of sennheiser, in fact, as you may notice, it's common to all their higher end phones.

Except the orpheus.
wink.gif
Well maybe I just don't want the dip because its there, but I would like a midrange with more drum snap and guitar presence. Maybe it's not the dip that's the problem, maybe it's the slight lack of lower treble.

May 10, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 13
If you're considering the the Beyer 880s and AKG 501 (haven't heard the Beyer 990s myself), you're looking in the right direction. I really liked the Beyer 880s when I heard them and the AKG 501 has excellent mids. The only real complaint I have with the AKG 501 is that they're a tad bass shy, but I still enjoy them very much.

May 10, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
If you're considering the the Beyer 880s and AKG 501 (haven't heard the Beyer 990s myself), you're looking in the right direction. I really liked the Beyer 880s when I heard them and the AKG 501 has excellent mids. The only real complaint I have with the AKG 501 is that they're a tad bass shy, but I still enjoy them very much.

That's the one thing that puts me off the akg 501's, because even the newer ones are supposed to be like that but less so. The beyer 880's seem to be liked as a brighter alternative to the hd600, but the 990's no one seems to know much about. There are only two decent reviews I've found on here, I guess they're too old to be favourites anymore.
The only other can I've thought about is the mdr(shudder!)sa5000. It's expensive but two people here said it was like 'a 595 on steroids.' That got me interested but the sudden amount of sa5000's in the 'For sale' section has put me off, as well as the love/hate relationship people seem to have with them. I mean are they just FOTM analytical cans, or is there more to them than that? I'm confused! The only thing I don't want is another grado or another sennheiser, there has to be a middle ground, a can that is lively or can rock without excessive brightness.

May 11, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
Except the orpheus.
wink.gif
Well maybe I just don't want the dip because its there, but I would like a midrange with more drum snap and guitar presence. Maybe it's not the dip that's the problem, maybe it's the slight lack of lower treble.

Well, there's the hd650 for that. (it has all the desireable bass & guitar snap for me)

The Orpheus is an older design.
wink.gif

May 11, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 13
try a tamer grado, like sr225 with senn pads.btw i am refering to taymat since he wants more forward mids

May 11, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 13
No thanks. I'm afraid of tinnitus.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
Seriously, I don't need to.

May 11, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 13
i have no tinnitus after months of sr225. well when i got tired of sr225 i switch to hd595 ,vice versa.
evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 13
hentai, sorry for the misunderstanding in my previous post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
i have no tinnitus after months of sr225. well when i got tired of sr225 i switch to hd595 ,vice versa.
evil_smiley.gif

Sounds fine. I guess they're rather complementary phones.

May 11, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
hentai, sorry for the misunderstanding in my previous post.

Sounds fine. I guess they're rather complementary phones.

its alrite. I hope folks who are looking for grado phones , don get freaked out by tinnitus

not only that, hd595 is an excellent gaming phones as well , Call of duty sounds excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back