ID-ing Transformers
Jul 13, 2005 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
Parts Express was selling 14V and 28V CT Toroids of unknown current rating for $5. I picked up one of each, and now need some help in determining what I have exactly.

The secondaries, as you can see in the picture, are attached to a little plug. There are 2 red and 2 orange wires. Is it likely that the red are one set and the orange are the other? If so, would I use one red and one orange for series and connect each orange to one red for parallel? Does anyone have an idea, or a hint on what to measure to figure this out.

Last, does anyone know of a way to guess at the current rating? The outside is about 3.5 inches across, and the inside is about 1.5. So they are way bigger than the 30VAC toroids I have bought from Digikey, but way smaller that the 300VAC's from partsexpress.

Oh, and really last, the little plug is cute. Can anyone tell from the pic wether it is a standard for which I can find a recepticle? It is 1cm across by about .5cm thick.

Thanks,

-d

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Cool. So, what's the conclusion? 1 and 3 are hot? Any sense on the current, other than lower than 4A? I am planning on using the 14V for a NOS-DAC, so I think I am fine with the current rating. The 28 (I think it is also 14 if the secondaries are paralleled?) however, I may use for a tripath based amp (41Hz Amp3) and it sounds like this might be pushing things.

-d

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Actually I think 1 and 4 are hot. Measure to be sure though.

I have only used the transformer for testing small headphone amps. No clue about the current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back