I'd even accept lower quality as long as it's digital and portable.
Apr 23, 2007 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TreAdidas

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy All,

Just sitting down to eat my lunch and clicking through the news as is my daily ritual and came across the news article "High Fidelity Takes Backseat to Portability"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi...ref=rss_latest

Thought it is applicable to life after Head Fi since the folks around here try so hard to make these two worlds of high fidelity and portability hang out together.

Seems the mass media wants us to think we're a dying breed. ::laughs:: I mean honestly, who would lug around those huge ear goggles!? I guess the problem with our bobby is that we are willing to put up with inconvenience/extra cost for the sake of obtaining "mo' bettah," where as the general population will take lower quality as long as it is smaller, faster and cheaper. Shame shame. They don't even know what they're missing!

Anyhoo just thought I'd pass this along.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
128kbs through an unmodified iPod w/ stock buds???

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Ha! I scoff @ the ignorant masses!! Scoff,Scoff!!!

128kbs through an unmodified iPod w/ stock buds???

~shiver~ The Horror.

Really? ... i marvel at them as they must either be half deaf or have incredible tolerance for crap
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Now, remember, these people are the majority, and are thus normal by most definitions.

I often think about my hobby this way: I don't care about lots of things -- like cars, for instance. I enjoy driving cars, yes, and I like mine to look good, but for all intents and purposes my car is running on 87 octane (128 kbps) with the stock engine (unmodified ipod) and commercially available, stock specification tires (stock buds). This does the job awfully well for me, but some people run octane enhanced fuel into finely tuned engines on racing tires. I believe that I could definitely tell the difference between our cars, and I would definitely prefer the well tuned one, but it's not really important to me. Music just isn't very important to most people -- hence, stock.

Just one way of looking at all the areas of our lives in which we aren't as obsessive as sound.

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, remember, these people are the majority, and are thus normal by most definitions.

I often think about my hobby this way: I don't care about lots of things -- like cars, for instance. I enjoy driving cars, yes, and I like mine to look good, but for all intents and purposes my car is running on 87 octane (128 kbps) with the stock engine (unmodified ipod) and commercially available, stock specification tires (stock buds). This does the job awfully well for me, but some people run octane enhanced fuel into finely tuned engines on racing tires. I believe that I could definitely tell the difference between our cars, and I would definitely prefer the well tuned one, but it's not really important to me. Music just isn't very important to most people -- hence, stock.

Just one way of looking at all the areas of our lives in which we aren't as obsessive as sound.

Good analogy there.

Soooo......WE are the freaks.
I'm ok w/ that.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Good analogy there.

Soooo......WE are the freaks.
I'm ok w/ that.

+1

I'd even say this hobby is a sheer bargain when compared with my other ones. My second love (that's distant second after audio gear) is sport bike riding. My friends and I are what you call "trackday junkies." That is we rent out spots at race tracks and go circle around those things all day. It's great fun to go screww off with your buddies at high rates of speed. We're not racing or anything, just open sessions, and you follow around and try to pas syour friends. The problem with that hobby is you need brand new tires everytime, or every other time you go to the track. So here's the problem; when talking about bikes, your personal safety is at risk, so of course you need the absolute best of this or that.

In audio all that is at stake is your sanity, and that's OVERRATED!

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

I'd even say this hobby is a sheer bargain when compared with my other ones. My second love (that's distant second after audio gear) is sport bike riding. My friends and I are what you call "trackday junkies." That is we rent out spots at race tracks and go circle around those things all day. It's great fun to go screww off with your buddies at high rates of speed. We're not racing or anything, just open sessions, and you follow around and try to pas syour friends. The problem with that hobby is you need brand new tires everytime, or every other time you go to the track. So here's the problem; when talking about bikes, your personal safety is at risk, so of course you need the absolute best of this or that.

In audio all that is at stake is your sanity, and that's OVERRATED!

feel ya ...

My last obsession was astronomy. Big Telescopes = Big Bux baby.
And there is ALWAYS a bigger telescope to lust after.
Then the veritable cornucopia of accessories awaits...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back