I'd be Rocking!!
Sep 20, 2002 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a very long daily commute to work and back so this is when I usually relax and listen to music. It's nice to take my shoes off, relax and forget about the ****ing idiots at work. I was listening to one of my portable setups - Sharp 831 MD player, Meta 42, Beyer DT 770, and Kimber Kable last night on my way home and was looking for some music I haven't heard in a while so I checked my MD bag and come across a MD I labeled "Tool - DVD". So I put that on because I couldn't remember what songs were on this MD and it was clear I hadn't heard this MD in a long time because I don't remember recording these songs. I think it wasn't the DVD that I copied but maybe a CD that came with the DVD. Anyway, I ran across a song called "No Quarter" and couldn't stop listening to it. I just kept repeating the song over and over again. This song sounded awesome on this setup. Man, I wanted to stand up and start playing "air drums" but I refrained from that. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing through this tiny setup. The drums were so big and powerful. If I was in a band I think I would be a drummer for sure.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 11
I ordered a pair of DT770 a week ago (have yet to receive them) and have an otherwise decent portable setup (PDCP line out + AirHead combo).

I purchased the 770s mainly because I find what most people describe as "balanced" sound actually way too intense and was looking for a darker headphone. Do the 770s produce head-shaking bass like those cheap force feedback headphones, or is it more of an accoustic sound?

Just wondering. Glad you enjoy your portable setup and Tool's redo of "No Quarter" on the salival tour. I listen to the same music.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 11
The 770 is more on the "dark" side. The bass on this headphone is deep and powerful. If you like bass then this is the headphone for you. I like the 770 for Rock music especially.

Tonight I think I may pick out some Pantera which I haven't heard in a while. A nice soft acoustic set!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Haha, good. I'll be looking forward to experiencing a different type of sound from them than the 250-80.

Probably half of my music is the type that is listened to "casually," for example, experimental techno, liquid trance, rock, hard rock, metal, jazz and blues.

Depending on my budget I am considering the HeadRoom Supreme amp in the near future (I do most of my listening on the go).

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 20, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
If I was in a band I think I would be a drummer for sure.
biggrin.gif

drummers have the most fun. unfortunately, few wear hearing protection and they're the first to lose their hearing.
frown.gif

i just ordered the DT770s myself. tomcat better be right on these phones!
wink.gif

how is the DT770 and moretto combo?

Sep 20, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
........... Anyway, I ran across a song called "No Quarter" and couldn't stop listening to it. I just kept repeating the song over and over again. This song sounded awesome on this setup.

I cannot read the words "Tool-No Quarter" whithout a big grin spreading all over my face...
biggrin.gif
The same happened to me when i heard it the first time...played it over and over and over again... By the way - Do you like Zepp's original more or less than Tool's version?

Sep 21, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 11
acid
I recommend Pantera's live album.

Do those guys get as much airplay in the US as they do in Texas?
smily_headphones1.gif

Some day I will address my portable rig. *sigh*
Home rig is about 60%. Work rig is about 95%.

Sep 21, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos
Do you like Zepp's original more or less than Tool's version?

MORE!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 11
For drums I recommend anything by tool and the new slipknot album. I'm not into metal, but something about those drummers always has me coming back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Sep 21, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
zep vs. copy
MORE!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Tools version is not a "copy" of zep's...even the words are different...and that's one of the things that IMO makes it so good...
biggrin.gif
. I personally like Tool's more but that's a pure question of taste - both are great ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back