IC's and Power cable questions
Mar 18, 2006 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Dear Head-fiers,
I'm thinking about getting new IC's for my setup.
I have focused on two things, the DiMarzio Interconnects, and the Analog Two IC's from Signal Cable with Eichmann Bullets.
From what I have managed to see they are good/best for thier price.
The thing is I'm not a cable beliver, and belives that beyond the basic quality stuff there is no audiobale difference. but I am willing to try anyway, just for the heck of it.
tongue.gif

Tell me what you think about those two, and if there are any other sub 100$ Ic's that worth checking, then they are certainly most welcome.

Furthermore I am thinking about not using stock cord for my upcoming MPX3 Slam and need a good power cord reccommendation, I see that there is a thread about it just now at this section, so answers will be gladly recieved there.

Thanks
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 7
I've owned Signalcable products in the past, and actually have a pair of Analog One's and a Digital Coax on order. Frank is awesome to deal with, and makes great cables that are built solid at good prices. I'd recommend his cables to anyone. There are some pretty good reviews on his site also, I don't think I've seen a bad one yet.

edit: Just realized I messed up Franks name!

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 7
For RCA analog interconnects, Blue Jeans Cable is always the first choice. or Belden, Canare, Mogami.
For XLR interconnects, bulk cable by Belden, Canare, Mogami or Blue Jeans Cable with connectors by Neutrik or Switchcraft.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 7
which is the better power cable the Pangea Audio AC 14 XL MKII or the AudioQuest NRG-Y3.? I’m looking to replace the power cables of my DAC and headphone amp

If you're looking for inexpensive power cables, I would suggest trying Wireworld ones instead of Pangea or Audioquest. I've tried some Pangea and AQ and found that I liked the WW ones better at similar or lower cost. Just had a more open and lively sound. The entry level ones are called Stratus and go for under $100 for 1M. The next model up, the Aurora, has silver coated conductors and sounds a bit smoother and more refined vs Stratus. But cost is double.

They are available in a lot of different connector types as well - eg the usual IEC C15 and even the C7 connectors you find on some other gear.

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Hey Dear Head-fiers,
I'm thinking about getting new IC's for my setup.
I have focused on two things, the DiMarzio Interconnects, and the Analog Two IC's from Signal Cable with Eichmann Bullets.
From what I have managed to see they are good/best for thier price.
The thing is I'm not a cable beliver, and belives that beyond the basic quality stuff there is no audiobale difference. but I am willing to try anyway, just for the heck of it.
tongue.gif

Tell me what you think about those two, and if there are any other sub 100$ Ic's that worth checking, then they are certainly most welcome.

Furthermore I am thinking about not using stock cord for my upcoming MPX3 Slam and need a good power cord reccommendation, I see that there is a thread about it just now at this section, so answers will be gladly recieved there.

Thanks
icon10.gif

Are you up for wiring your own mains cable and or getting a soldering iron out for the interconnects?

I wasnt aware of the interconnects you mention but i see they're made of OFC copper which is fine, but if you want to test your theory of cables not making a difference i strongly recommend trying a cable with OCC (mono crystal copper), because with good connectors like the Eichmans you mention (which i agree are the best value vs performance plugs you can buy) you could make a cable for less then £150 which would cost over double to buy a shop bought version. Neotech make the best OCC cable and theyre also the biggest supplier to the highend hifi makers. They just dont market very hard towards consumers.

I'm recent convert to Neotech's UPOCC wire and i've now sold all of the my shop bought cables from ICs to HP cables, coax and mains cables, which i'm embarrassed to say i'd probably spent the price of small car on to run in both my headfi and 2 channel systems. I was previously a devotee of Tellurium Q's cables but with neotech in their place i have kitted out my set-up for probably a 3rd of the cost with an appreciable improvement in performance across the board.

For your IC's i'd get the best KLE bullet plugs you can afford, they're all good but the KLE pure harnomy versions with solid silver signal pin are incredible for the money. Then i'd get yourself some Neotech NEI-3004 interconnect cable which is about £12 per metre and which offers fantastic value vs performance, especially versus pretty much any OFC cable ive tried.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/neotech-nei-3004-interconnect-cable.html
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/phono_plugs/innovations-pure-harmony-plug.html

Then for power cable i can strongly recommend Neotech's UPOCC copper mains cable with Neotech MS power of furutech plugs or similar. Its not cheap compared to some DIY options but it will give you a noticeable improvements especially in the low end, sound floor darkness and dynamism. I had Tellurium Q blue Ultra Blue II power cables which were about £420 per cable, and i've built cables which easily outperform for less then £200 per cable using the neotech UPOCC.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/neotech-mains-cable-nep-3003-mk3.html
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/power_connectors/neotech-ncp313rh-upocc-plug-rhodium-plated.html
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/power_connectors/neotech-ncp303rh-upocc-plug-rhodium-plated.html (you dont need to spend this much on connectors, prioritise you spend on the wire before the connectors on mains cables. You can get very good copies for £15-20)

Obviously the improvements in performance are more noticeable if the accompanying equipment has capabilities to match but i have made cables for people with systems costing from. That said decent cables can bring noticeable improvements even in modest systems.

Hope that helps a bit :)rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back