iCleaner - iPod Deep Scratch Polish *Review*
Jan 16, 2005 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

IpodSF

100+ Head-Fier
main_01.jpg

I first heard about iCleaner from the iPodLounge and figured I would research more into this interesting iPod cleaning product. I tried iKlear that is found is all Apple Stores however that did next to nothing. I took a look at their website found at www.icleaner.com and then began to wonder if this stuff really works. Well the only way to find out was to make a $35 + $5 Shipping investment ($40 gets you the Ultra Pro Kit) and wait till I got the product.

I sent a check out within a few days. I then contacted iCleaner to see if my check was received and I was told it was and my kit had shipped out the previous day. That actually surprised me because they didn't even wait for my check to clear which seriously sped up the delivery time which was a great plus.

A few days later (today) I received the kit from iCleaner is a sturdy tube in the mail. I opened it up to find my 1oz bottle of Maintenance Polish, 1oz bottle of Scratch Remover, 1/4oz bottle of Deep Scratch Remover & Polish, Micro Fiber Terry cloth (which is also good for just cleaning finger prints off the iPod but itself) and one super cloth along with very neatly typed with directions which can also be found with pictures on their website.

iCleaner_Ultra_Pro_large.jpg

I grabbed the iPod and went to work. I applied the Deep Scratch Remover & Polish first using the super cloth (I notice on the bottles as well as in the instructions they mention that this polish may cause skin irritation however I didn't have any problem.). I applied it using circular motions as mentioned to use it however I found up and down works just as well. The polish began to turn black (as it should) about 20 seconds into the moderate hard rubbing. I then wiped the black away after some more rubbing with the micro fiber terry cloth. It didn't look like it did anything. Well I did it again.... Hmmm I saw a noticeable difference in scratches being removed. I went at it again... Wow this stuff is really working. Then once more and it was complete, my two deepest scratches had been removed. I was impressed! I cleaned it off with the micro fiber terry cloth and it looked almost as good as the day when I got it. I would also like to mention that this polish is completely safe on the click wheel however once you are done and clean it over with the terry cloth I recommend taking just a little bit of water and cleaning it off (Only the click wheel, everything else was perfect). The reason I did this was because my click wheel looked a little "mucky" is the word I think I am looking for a little bit of water and then drying it make it just perfect.

5b.jpg

Now onto the front. I shook up the bottle of Scratch remover, poured a very little amount around the size of a pea onto the super cloth supplied (However you could use a delicate wash cloth or rag. Pretty much anything that is fairly soft as they only supply you with one super cloth even though you can purchase a set of 5 super cloths from their website for an additional $10. You want to through each super cloth away after using it since the super cloths are not machine washable.). I then used a circular motion moving around the face of the iPod. The scratch remover sunk in pretty fast over the surface and I needed to apply another pea sized amount. After rubbing for about a minute I used the terry cloth to clean it off. Then did the process again and then once more. Perfecto. Again, just like the back the majority of the scratches were removed.

6b.jpg

I finished it up using the Maintenance polish the same way I applied the others. It finished off the job leaving that great white apple shine.
smily_headphones1.gif

indexani.gif

I would like to mention more scratches on the screen were removed than anywhere else on the body which is actually best as you look at the screen more often of course. I did see a bigger difference in scratches removed from the back then I did the front however I did have deeper scratches in the back to begin with.

I honestly believe this kit is more for deep scratches and not for the little stuff. It works on the little stuff too but to really get your moneys worth you need to have some deep scratches although I wouldn't recommend to go dunk your iPod onto your driveway, heh.

This is all around a great kit and the best scratch removing kit I have tested to date. I highly recommend this product and the $40 for the Ultra Pro Kit is certainly worth the scratches it removes from your $300+ iPod. Very happy with this product!

ipodsfhighlyrecommendaimage9vk.jpg

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 23
I've had their basic kit (Metal Polish, Plastic Polish, Terry (not micro-fibre) Cloth) for ages now and it really does work!

I have found that if I have a failry deep scratch on the plastic, the Metal Polish brings this out much easier than the Plastic Polish, but leaves the area dull, so you then have to go over the area again with the Plastic Polish... YMMV.

Nice review!
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Thanks for the great review IpodSF.

No problem. Look for many more reviews from me to come on some great products in the near future. Stay tuned....
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
No problem. Look for many more reviews from me to come on some great products in the near future. Stay tuned....
wink.gif

first the Simpl A1 and now the iCleaner. you've sure been busy
tongue.gif

keep up the good work man!

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 23
my metal polishing stuff made my scratches worse. It made hundreds of these scratches. although the plastic stuff works.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
my metal polishing stuff made my scratches worse. It made hundreds of these scratches. although the plastic stuff works.

Your surley not talking about the iCleaner product right? You may be specking about iKlear.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
first the Simpl A1 and now the iCleaner. you've sure been busy
tongue.gif

keep up the good work man!

Heh, that's nothing. I've got over 8 reviews lined up at this point that I am going to write. Look for them soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 23
WOW! For some reason the iPod looks every better now that it has endured a night sleeping in it's iSock.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just took it out to look at it and I'm not sure why but it looks as if even MORE scratches were removed than i initally thought. Now it does look as if it did the day I bought it. Amazing stuff!! The front even cleared up more as well. Just amazing! This iCleaner would be worth it even if they sold it for $60 or more.

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodSF
Your surley not talking about the iCleaner product right? You may be specking about iKlear.
tongue.gif

No its iCleaner. I have the exact same product as u do, except my metal scratch remover stuff leaves millions of tiny scratches.

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 23
For the plastic, I bet Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner and Polish would work great. I use this stuff to buff scratches out of CDs and it works great. A heck of a lot cheaper than the kit you bought too.

(I'm afraid I don't worry that much about cosmetics myself... as long as the darn thing works, I'm happy.)

See ya
Steve

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
No its iCleaner. I have the exact same product as u do, except my metal scratch remover stuff leaves millions of tiny scratches.

You must be using it wrong. It has worked perfect for myself on my 4g iPod as well as a few others I have spoke with.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 23
I'm guessing that I have some car car chemicals in my "arsenal" that would work every bit as well as the stuff from iCleaner, for a whole lot less. I'm sure their stuff works great, but they are charging an outrageous amount of money for a tiny bit of their product.

-Keith

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by meithkiller
I'm guessing that I have some car car chemicals in my "arsenal" that would work every bit as well as the stuff from iCleaner, for a whole lot less. I'm sure their stuff works great, but they are charging an outrageous amount of money for a tiny bit of their product.

-Keith

Meguiar's makes plastic polishes - their #17 is reported to work well, and a bottle can be had for $5-8.

Jan 18, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #15 of 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back