Icemat -> HD595 (?)
Mar 28, 2007 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been using IcematAudio, the Icemat Siberia headset for quite some time now. Mainly aimed at games, music does sound good and I like this headset.
Anyway, I feel like upgrading. Music is becoming more and more important to me.

My eye felt on the Sennheiser HD595.
They're really comfortable (tried them) also for longer periods
Wide soundstage (grill mod any good?)
balanced sound, no muffling sound with great mids

My questions:
Is the bass any good?
Some people talk about a veil? you just nitpicking or real problem?
Maybe another set of cans in this price range? (was also looking into ATH-A900, closed though, opinions?)

I will be driving them through my x-fi Extreme Music. Will they need an amp to really shine?
Also, we got an amp in the living room, but it isn't a hphone amp, problem?

Any help appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using IcematAudio, the Icemat Siberia headset for quite some time now. Mainly aimed at games, music does sound good and I like this headset.

My questions:
Is the bass any good?
Maybe another set of cans in this price range? (was also looking into ATH-A900, closed though, opinions?)

I will be driving them through my x-fi Extreme Music. Will they need an amp to really shine?

Any help appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Simply put: YES.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Any [size=x-large]help[/size] appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simply put: YES.

tbfh..

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

My questions:
Is the bass any good?

Any help appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

the bass is acceptable on the 595's. personally i would go with the 580's with music because the 580's just sound better. however it seems like you are going to be playing games so the 595's will trump the 580's in that area although the 580's trump the 595's in almost all other areas IMO. the 595's are just a great all rounder and just that. there is nothing special about them.

it seems like you want a gaming can and i would suggest to you the dt770/80's. they have GREAT bass and do games very very well, but they do have a fair amoount of mid-range recession. the a900's do games just as well, but they are a more balanced can and have less mid-range recession than the dt770's, but less bass. none of the headphones i mentioned NEED an amp to shine, but they all will fare better with an amp. for gaming i would suggest the a900's over the 595's.

music: 595 > a900
games: a900 > 595

although i could call it a tie between both easily for both categories. it's just a matter of open or closed.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 30
i've heard all 3 of the infamous all-arounders recommended for gaming (dt770, a900, hd595) and i have the a900s currently.

my opinion about the hd595 is it definitely sounds a lot better with an amp. my friend (advil on head-fi) has the 595s and i find them to sound particularly well with the Little Dot 2++ amp. before hearing them amped, i didn't find the hd595s to be very appealing, as they were a little too laid back for my taste and the bass lacked any thump (also keep in mind i had a900s at the time and was lovin them). they did have a nice wide-open soundstage and better mids than my a900s, however.

when they're amped, though, the bass improves quite a bit and has an appreciable quantity, while still being very good quality. it opens them up a bit more and they become a bit more engaging. i still think a900s or dt770s would be more appropriate for gaming, but the 595s work very well with some types of music.

IMO, the a900s are better for gaming and for music that has substantial bass, b/c it actually has a thump that you can feel and it remains very tight and fast... but if you listen to music that has more of a soundstage to it (i.e. classical, jazz, whatever, or a lot of vocals) then i would recommend getting the hd595

you can't really go wrong with either of them.

or... if you're a complete basshead, go with the dt770
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 30
595s have brilliant highs, good bass (bass quality depends mainly on source, but with a good source 595s provide great bass) and incredible soundstage. They don't need amp to sound good (however, amp helps a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
). For this price range they are the best choice.
Quote:

Some people talk about a veil?

What does "veil" mean? Its a thin material to cover face, but what it has to do with headphones?

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does "veil" mean? Its a thin material to cover face, but what it has to do with headphones?

I wasn't sure when I read it aswell, so I decided to interglot.com'em
wink.gif
I'm from Holland, and veil was translated as 'camoufleren' 'maskeren' etc.. Translated that back to english it would be camouflaging, so maybe he meant colouring the music.. unsure

Back on topic:
You recommended:
dt770, retailing at M = 164EU Pro = 139EU
dt880, retailing at 218EU
Clear winner for 595, retailing at 115
smily_headphones1.gif

115 Euros = 77.9703625 British pounds
115 Euros = 153.3755 U.S. dollars

HD580 are 300 ohm.. thats just too much

For gaming I don't need that high quality sound. Not a pro gamer, so just crisp highs will do. The first high quality audio ingame still has got to be made. Plus I still got the IcematAudio which seems to be just fine for gaming. (Fairly good player tho, so getting owned is not an issue as well
wink.gif
)

Well then. Music is better on senns then on A900, beyerdynamic are pricy and 580s are 300OHM..
I made my choice, I'll buy the 595s. One question left: Is there a cheap amp that really improves?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 30
people here say tube amps are good for the hd595... try looking at the Little Dot series, i forget which model it was. but it's still over $100.

i personally use the E-MU 0404USB, but the usb lags me, so i just go the optical route and no problems as of yet.

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people here say tube amps are good for the hd595... try looking at the Little Dot series, i forget which model it was. but it's still over $100.

i personally use the E-MU 0404USB, but the usb lags me, so i just go the optical route and no problems as of yet.

Maybe to buy an amp isn't a good idea at all
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 30
Given your questions I think the Beyer DT 770s would be more of what you're looking for.

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 30
dt770's are more expensive. The only thing I think is better on the 770s is the bass.. Now I'm anything but a basshead. I like smooth and deep bass. Good soundstage and nice mids is more important.

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 30
It seems 595s are retailing at 50OHM, and I always thought they were.. But looking at the Sennheiser site (the .pdf on them) says its 120OHM.. and looking http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...ransid=newHD-3 there is 50OHM..
I really want 50OHM.. are 595s 50 or 120 OHM?

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 30
new hd595's are 50ohm. i think your choices should be the a900 or hd595. the a900 should run fine off of an audigy or x-fi... and so should the hd595 (but it can get a bit better with a decent amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back