iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More Soundstage and More Detail
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #556 of 658
You write an excellent review although I do not agree with your findings.

I much prefer the SE to the normal ican and in particular I think there is a significant difference in having x bass switched off or in position 1.

I have also wound mine up as loud as I dare and not hit any distortion with my beyerdynamic T90's.

I think it is worth the upgrade so I wonder if you have a faulty unit or whether it overdrives your AKG's?

In x-bass 1 on the SE is less noticeable in the bass ican usual.
It is a good amplifier. but so was the old ican.
As usable power I do not see this much more than the old Ican SE.
And the unit was not defective.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #557 of 658
In x-bass 1 on the SE is less noticeable in the bass ican usual.

It is a good amplifier. but so was the old ican.

As usable power I do not see this much more than the old Ican SE.

And the unit was not defective.

Yes I agree the effects are note subtle on the SE but better for it imo.

I think in efficient headphones line the AKG's you wouldn't notice an increase in power either.

And yes the original ican is brilliant, I just think the SE it better still. Subtly so but better and worth the upgrade for me.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #558 of 658
So...my 15v power supply on my Ican SE just crapped out. Im RMA ing it so thats ok but I wonder how often this will happen.

Most people probably have the 9v version. I wonder if any of you have had this problem?

I didnt leave it plugged in all the time. The ican got warm.

it was only plugged in for 6 hours..then nothing :frowning2:

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #559 of 658
So...my 15v power supply on my Ican SE just crapped out. Im RMA ing it so thats ok but I wonder how often this will happen.

Most people probably have the 9v version. I wonder if any of you have had this problem?

I wasn't even aware the iCAN SE Is running on 15V instead of 9V like my iTube until I read your post and looked at the plugs. Otherwise I might have used the power supplies interchangeably and blow one of them up unwittingly.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #560 of 658
My power supply is also defective. My dealer told me that Ifi would send me a new one - but nothing has happened within a month. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #561 of 658

I wasn't even aware the iCAN SE Is running on 15V instead of 9V like my iTube until I read your post and looked at the plugs. Otherwise I might have used the power supplies interchangeably and blow one of them up unwittingly.

That's why the DC lead of the iPower 15V has little red rubber beads :rolleyes:

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #562 of 658
Is that what they're for? And I thought it's some isolation RF EMF removing distance keeping foam gizmo.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #563 of 658
I think we're screwed. The power supplies are faulty and they have no fix for it. Only replacements which do the same thing.
Ifi responds often here but apparenty not on this issue.

My dealer practicaly stuttered trying to tell me theyd never seen the problem before.

I finally found the sound I love..and now it's gone.

I understand how leaving it plugged in all the time (considering the bottom gets warm) is a bad idea...but 6 hours?

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #565 of 658
Yes, it is 15V. Using a good chinese 9V LPS with the iCan SE just now which works fine.

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #566 of 658
My iPower cause some buzzing noises, when changed the hole of the power strip the noises almost disappear. I've tried the power of my ext. HDD and there is no noises...The iPower is 15v, the power of the HDD is 9v. So, this iPower is claimed to be super quiet, but it is a crap and I see many defective units. But iCan SE is great!

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #567 of 658
Anyone set their SE on high for 3D? I tried it for a few nights and now I'm totally enamoured to it. Really fills out the soundstage and envelops me with a full sound. Can't go back to low or zero setting anymore. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #569 of 658
  Anyone set their SE on high for 3D? I tried it for a few nights and now I'm totally enamoured to it. Really fills out the soundstage and envelops me with a full sound. Can't go back to low or zero setting anymore. 

Trying in a few different albums but I'm not sure if I prefer it or not. Which of your many many headphones did you try this with please?

Also I notice you have an Auralic Taurus mk2, Have you compared it to the iCAN SE? 

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #570 of 658
  Trying in a few different albums but I'm not sure if I prefer it or not. Which of your many many headphones did you try this with please?

Also I notice you have an Auralic Taurus mk2, Have you compared it to the iCAN SE? 

My preference is actually the SE over the Taurus for nearly all the phones I have. The Taurus is unforgivingly transparent to the point of being clinical unless you have a tube stage in your dac or between the chain. Its forte is pinsharp accuracy and soundstage which casts a massive space that's wide and very deep, with instruments etched cleanly within that space. The SE soundstage is nearer to you and less deep (doubt many can be as deep as the Taurus). Width wise it feels wider when 3D is set to high. But the key reason I prefer it is because its very musical and enjoyable to listen to. So I'd say Taurus for critical listening and SE for music listening.

Pairing wise, HD800S is heavenly with the SE and dry with the Taurus. Difference is less for the LCD3 which comes with its own sonic fullness. My duoza (IEM) prefers the SE too cuz its more sensitive and dead quiet. The Grado, well, sounds like Grado cuz it's Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back