iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More Soundstage and More Detail
Apr 26, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #601 of 658
Do try the SE with the iTube. It's heavenly. And I hope it's what the Pro delivers except more.

Some say  Tube amps are better with HD 800. I intend to either get the Elise from Feliks Audio or get the Ray Samuels Raptor.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #602 of 658
I am not sure it is as simple as that. I have 2 headphone amps and they are both solid state but more importantly class A. I also have a main stereo integrated amp which is both valve and also class A. I haven't been afflicted by the so called unlistenable HD800 6KHz spike although I also have the HD800S and love them in balanced mode a fraction above the HD800.

So, I wonder if it is class A headphone amps with their even order harmonics that work best with the HD800 family and not necessarily valves over solid state???

In any event the iCAN SE paired with the HD800 is a truly delightful combination and I'm not sure how you could better this for the same money with alternative components.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #603 of 658
  I am not sure it is as simple as that. I have 2 headphone amps and they are both solid state but more importantly class A. I also have a main stereo integrated amp which is both valve and also class A. I haven't been afflicted by the so called unlistenable HD800 6KHz spike although I also have the HD800S and love them in balanced mode a fraction above the HD800.

So, I wonder if it is class A headphone amps with their even order harmonics that work best with the HD800 family and not necessarily valves over solid state???

In any event the iCAN SE paired with the HD800 is a truly delightful combination and I'm not sure how you could better this for the same money with alternative components.

I will take your advice. My going for Tube amp is a long term though haha. I am expecting my iCan SE today to be delivered. I tested my Standard Ican Micro with Mojo & Hd 800 and it sounded wonderful and sweet. So I guess the SE will add more balance and delight like you said. I agree I too have not been affected by the 6KHz spike so far.
I guess it depends upon individual to individual listening .
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #604 of 658
Five days, guys and the replacement 15v iPower burned...What's wrong with this? In the same power strip are connected my ext. 4TB HDD with 9v PSU, my computer, my LED monitor. My old Aune T1 worked more than two years with no problems in the same power strip...

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #605 of 658
  Five days, guys and the replacement 15v iPower burned...What's wrong with this? In the same power strip are connected my ext. 4TB HDD with 9v PSU, my computer, my LED monitor. My old Aune T1 worked more than two years with no problems in the same power strip...

I'm afraid I just joined your club. Mine just burned out too. Doesn't look like it's your power strip. It's the iPower. Contacting Tech support. Will give updates soon.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #606 of 658
Lol, we're all screwed. Eventually all the 15v psu's will die. Im still waiting for my 15v replacement to come in....but for what? It will die too.

Ive been running off a 9v ipower i actualy bought to tide me over but it isnt the same :frowning2:

The SE truly is something amazing....but im afraid it's not meant to be. After a full year warranty is up, we will have to actually pay for more 15v ipowers

May 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #610 of 658
Update:

For those with wonderfully working ican SE's this topic must be annoying.

For the rest of us.. IFI has contacted me and have acknowdeldged an issue with some of the 15v ipowers. For me this is enough. Having some support in case this happens again is a big relief. Hopefully get my ipower this week and go back to that happy place between my ears! :)

May 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #611 of 658
Update:

For the rest of us.. IFI has contacted me and have acknowdeldged an issue with some of the 15v ipowers. For me this is enough. Having some support in case this happens again is a big relief. Hopefully get my ipower this week and go back to that happy place between my ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

I will send my two faulty iPower's to Germany (I bought SE from Germany, no iFi audio seller in Bulgaria) and they will send me a new one...number 3. Hope number 3 will be a lucky, working number.

May 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #612 of 658
I'm debating to get the iCAN SE for my HD800. I already have the iDSD Micro and as well the bottlehead crack + speedball w/ TS5998 and CBS/Hytron 5814A, but still curious how much solid state can get with the HD800. Will I find the iCAN SE to be a worthy investment even having those amps already? How does it compare to the Liquid Carbon using single ended output?

May 12, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #613 of 658
I'm debating to get the iCAN SE for my HD800. I already have the iDSD Micro and as well the bottlehead crack + speedball w/ TS5998 and CBS/Hytron 5814A, but still curious how much solid state can get with the HD800. Will I find the iCAN SE to be a worthy investment even having those amps already? How does it compare to the Liquid Carbon using single ended output?

I have an iDSD stack with iUSB and iCAN SE which I now use with HD800s and it is a highly compelling system. The SE adds more than I expected over the amp in the iDSD. I can't tell you how it performs against the other amp you mention but at the very least I would suggest you compare them.

May 12, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #614 of 658
Update:

For the rest of us.. IFI has contacted me and have acknowdeldged an issue with some of the 15v ipowers. For me this is enough. Having some support in case this happens again is a big relief. Hopefully get my ipower this week and go back to that happy place between my ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,

The nano iCAN here uses the 9v iPOWER.

The micro iCAN SE uses a 15v iPOWER. Some of these saw over zealous application of silicone which covered a resistor and reduced its cooling abilities. As a result, some of these cease to work. For anyone who has this, they have opened a support ticket and we have sent replacements out! 
normal_smile .gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 12, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #615 of 658
I got my iPower replacement despite the team being busy at the Munich show. Complete with follow up mail and tracking details etc. TOP notch support. Replacement is working fine and as far as my IR thermometer can attest, temperature seems to be under control not like the earlier faulty version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back