IC testing with the MG Head OTL?
Oct 17, 2003 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

merc

100+ Head-Fier
I want to do some single blind testing of some RCA interconnects using my CD player and MG Head OTL (last version before the Mk II).

Do I need to power down the Head before changing ICs between my CD Player and the amp?

Of course, I'd turn down the volume on the Head before messing with the ICs.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 10
You don't need to turn off the amp if you want to change ICs.

Oct 17, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 10
BTW what ICs are you comparing?

Let us know how it goes.

Oct 17, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

BTW what ICs are you comparing?

Well, I have some BC Silver Serpents, Outlaw PCAs, RS Golds, AR Pro, and an IC which is supposed to be equal to the BC, but has the name hidden, and a unlabeled DIY(not by me) pure Silver IC with Eichmann bullet connectors.?

This should be fun.

Oct 17, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Hi yidi!

The primary problem I see with my test is the one which requires a single blind testing procedure. The Manley does not remove this requirement, since someone has to still hook up the ICs two at a time.

Therefore, I'd prefer to spend the bucks on a few more Silver IC pairs... if I could afford that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks anyway.

Oct 17, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, it's pretty costly. I think it will come with a remote so that you can A/B at the flick of the switch with the same song playing. You can blind fold yourself, spin around until you are dizzy and then press A or B. If the remote is symmetrical there would be no way you would know if it is the A IC or the B IC that you're listening to.

Oct 18, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 10
come over to CA, and i'd be happy to set up a blind-fold test for you! heh he...

but um, i think the best thing to do is just get a friend to come over and have him do the blind testing for you.

please let me know if you can hear the differences. remember that in order to get accurate results, you cannot know in any way which cable you are listening to. also, you need to do this enough to make the results statistically relevent... maybe 50-100 times or so? don't do this like 10 times and expect useful results. i know there's a statistics formula to figure out the chance of a result representing good sampling.... but i forgot how to do it. but 10 times definitely is not enough. and ONLY compare two cables at a time. doing more than a set of 2 cables guarantees invalid results in such a small sampling pool.

but you know, i HIGHLY recommend against pulling ICs in and out of the MG Head. those things are built REALLY badly. many people have loose jacks on their MG Heads, including me. so, if you do this that many times, i guarantee that you will at least have to retighten those jacks, and at worst, you can break off the wire inside. ASL construction sucks.

Oct 18, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I'll vouch for that! Be easy when pulling the rca's off the jacks of the mg head... It doesnt take much. My top (red) jack is loose.. and its a BITCH to tighten!

I finally found a guy who builds amps to help me fix it (odd story on how I found him.. he is a wax carver for the jewelry store i work for.. took some diamonds over to him so he could carve the wax around the diamonds (cant leave the diamonds of course)... So while sitting around waiting I got to audition his speaker setup. Which my headphone setup total blows away... but still... hes got skillz to build and fix stuff!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back