IC: Minneapolis / Twin Cities meet
Apr 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mister Crash

100+ Head-Fier
It looks like it's been a while since the last meet here in the Twin Cities, so I was checking to see if there would be any interest in getting a meet set up here sometime during the summer (say, late June to mid-July).

Here's what I was thinking. I spoke to someone at one of the local libraries about the possibility of reserving one of their meeting rooms for a whole Saturday (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.). The library has two meeting rooms; one with a capacity of 40 and one with a capacity of 100 (these are seating capacities only with no tables; with tables, the capacity would probably be half of the above numbers). There would be tables for our gear, chairs to sit in, and plenty of outlets. Best of all, it would be free. We'd just have to bring our equipment and make sure to clean up afterwards.

My first suggestion for a date would be June 27, but that can be changed if it doesn't work for a lot of people. It's also possible that the rooms will already be booked on that date, in which case we would need to come up with another date. The booking period for the summer starts on May 4th, so if we can solidify a date in the next week or so, we'd stand the best chance of being able to reserve a room.

So, I'm checking to see if anyone would be interested in having a meet in the Twin Cities this summer. If you're interested, please respond with your name, the gear you could bring, and whether or not June 27 would work for you (and if the date doesn't work, what other dates would work).

Just to get things started, here is the gear I could bring:

Headphones:
Stax SR-007 Mk. 2
Audio-Technica W5000
Audio-Technica W11jpn
Audio-Technica ESW10jpn

Amps:
Stax SRM-727 II
Audio-Technica AT-HA5000

Sources:
Wadia 781i CD player/DAC
Eastern Electric Minimax CD player
CI Audio VDA-2 DAC

May 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 11
I am still pretty new to the hi-fi world, and it looks like a meet would be a great way to test out some higher-end equipment before I consider buying. Unfortunately I don't have much to bring except some decent (and likely common) headphones.

Sennheiser HD-555
Grado SR60i
Vic Firth stereo isolation headphones
Sennheiser HD-201 (not sure if either of those last two would be very useful)

June 27th would be fine with me, but if the date is changed for whatever reason, July 18th-25th won't work.

May 5, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 11
I would also be interested in joining. I don't yet have much equipment:

Grado SR-325i
Little Dot I+

May 7, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 11
A meet would be great - but not at all sure if I could attend.
If yesterday's job interview went as well as I hope it did, I could have a new job (out of state) by then...

If able to attend, I don't have a lot, but could bring:
Grado SR-225, Senn HD-25-1, Ety ER-4P (and P --> S cable), PINT amp

May 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm in the process of preparing to move to NY, so it's hard for me to say if I'll even be in town then-- but, if I am I might be able to make it. That's a lot of ifs, and why I haven't responded till now.

May 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Meet would be a great idea.

Mister Crash, how far is the meet plan coming.

I am not sure if I will be in MN by that time, but if I am in MN I can come.

If my Eddie Current Balancing Act amp is delivered by that time, I can bring it. I still don't know what source and headphones I will have by that time.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 11
OK. I tried calling today to reserve the room, and it looks like June 27th is no longer available. The two Saturdays that the room is available are June 13th and July 11th. For now, I have reserved the room from 12-5 p.m. on both dates, with the intention of canceling one of these reservations, based on feedback from those who want to attend.

For those of you who are interested in going, does June 13th or July 11th work better? I realize that June 13th is a little short notice at this point, but hopefully it won't be too short.

Incidentally, the room is at the Ridgedale library in Minnetonka (right by the Ridgedale mall). The meeting rooms are separated from the library proper, so noise won't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back