iBud soundstage better than Triple.Fi??? Am I going nuts?
Oct 17, 2007 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

IPodPJ

MOT: Bellatone Audio
Caution: Incomplete customer orders
I have moved on from IEMs to full-size cans. But I just felt like trying out the iPod earbuds that come with the Classic. They are better than the ones that came with the 5g. Their sound quality is nothing special at all obviously, extremely subpar. The bass is present, but everything is muddy. The Triple.Fi blew them to pieces SQ wise. HOWEVER, the actual soundstage of these cheapo earbuds is much better than the soundstage of the Triple.Fi. But you have to push them in a ways to achieve this effect, but not too much or you lose it. Is this just an inherent property of most earbuds since they reflect off the pinnea more?? Or am I going nuts here? I might actually have to pick up a pair of Yuin PK1.
blink.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 10
i suspect the ibuds will just sound airy simply because of air access to inner ear, maybe giving the effect of soundstage but in reality its just poor all round ennit

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 10
The Yuins' have more soundstage than the Triple.fi's and so do the Super.fi 3's with the Westone cable. The Triples don't really have that big a soundstage though it is better than many other IEMs. The Westone cable could improve it though I sold my Triples before I ever bought the Westone cable. The 3 Studio with the Westone cable/S adapter is better than the Triple IMO; more forward mids, more detail, more bass and soundstage.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 10
Is the S adaptor the 75 ohm adaptor?

Also, how does each (westone cable and s adaptor separately, then together) affect the sound on the sf.3?

TIA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Yuins' have more soundstage than the Triple.fi's and so do the Super.fi 3's with the Westone cable. The Triples don't really have that big a soundstage though it is better than many other IEMs. The Westone cable could improve it though I sold my Triples before I ever bought the Westone cable. The 3 Studio with the Westone cable/S adapter is better than the Triple IMO; more forward mids, more detail, more bass and soundstage.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 10
I think all earbuds have much better soundstage than IEMs, except maybe for the E500/SE530 compared to the Creative earbuds.

If you're suprised by iBud soundstage, you should try out the Yuin. Extraoridnary width, but you choose if it sounds natural.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 10
Might have something to do with the larger resonating chamber of the earbuds compared to armatures.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 10
It doesn't do wonders for them considering how bad the SQ is to begin with, and this mod ended up messing up the diaphragm on the iBuds (no big loss) but if you pop the casing off the back of the iBud with your finger nail they end up sounding much better. (But they also fall out of your ear really easily.)

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 3 Studio with the Westone cable/S adapter is better than the Triple IMO; more forward mids, more detail, more bass and soundstage.

Interesting statement. Have you tried Super Fi 5.Pro?

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think all earbuds have much better soundstage than IEMs, except maybe for the E500/SE530 compared to the Creative earbuds.

If you're suprised by iBud soundstage, you should try out the Yuin. Extraoridnary width, but you choose if it sounds natural.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting the PK1 just in case I decide to travel anywhere, since I no longer have any IEMs except the iBuds and cheapo Apple In-Ear phones. Putting the money towards the Opera was a much more important investment for me which is why I sold them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back