iBook as a source
Sep 14, 2006 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

watchluvr4ever

500+ Head-Fier
I have been using my iBook G4 as a source since March of this year and I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this? If I were to keep using my iBook as a source how can I make it better? Should I just buy a standalone CD player paired with an amp? Thanks.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 11
IMHO, if you've ripped the CDs with no errors, into a lossless format, and you run it through a good DAC with jitter correction, you've eliminated the major reasons for a $2K+ CD player.

I'll probably upgrade to a better DAC one of these days, but to be honest, I don't hear any obvious jitter problems with my current setup.

iBook through Airport Express + DAC is a very nice solution, which is why I went that route myself. Don't worry so much about the components (which way too many people here focus on), and just enjoy the music.

Sep 15, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 11
You're good....as nospam said, as long as you've ripped correctly to a no loss format, the computer will not be a bottleneck.
I use a Twindac Plus for d/a conversion, but you have many options.
Enjoy,
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 11
You can click on my link in my sig to see my iBook transportable rig.

iBook---> USB Cable ---> DAC ---> 1/8 mini to 1/8 min--> Amp/earphones

or

iBook --> Wireless via AirPort Express ---> optical cable---> DAC

(My DAC the MicroDAC can use multiple inputs: optical, 1/8, or coax)

The AirPort Express is really nice: No power/ground hum noises that I've experienced with the USB (depends on your rig if you get noise or not).

USB is really nice if you can get the noise out.

I'd love to get a new MacBook or MacBook Pro: they have built-in optical out, but I'm more than happy with what I have.

You have lots of choices in budget, sound characteristics, transportability.

Have fun.

Here's a good USB DAC link:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=lapfi

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Another vote for Airport Express. The only problem with Airport Express (as well as iBook) is you need the special M-T optical cable. (mini-to-toslink)

Andrew suggests two cables for this type of setup
Quote:

oslink to Mini
The budget answer to your prayers
http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_inf...roducts_id=219
Works like a charm with my MicroDAC

Of course there is always something more expensive
http://www.vandenhul-usa.com/catalog...ll_4306847.htm

If you end of using iBook or AE, I strongly suggest avoid using the adapter. I had bad experience with the M-T adapter. (the PureAV optical link from local apple store. it is a T-T optical cable plus M-T adapter)

The disadvantage for using USB convetor is as RockinOut suggest. However if you using the USB convetor, you have varity of cable to select from.

Caution: AE won't play music files other than the one send by iTunes. Although you can get third party software like Airfoil, that will play anything, the sound from movie clip won't sync with the picture. (which is the reason I didn't buy Airfoil) If you want to use the adapter other than music, forget about AE and go for USB solution.

Oct 5, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 11
And yet another vote for the APX. I use the following and it works well:
Music
iBook -> APX -> Glass TOS cable -> Scott Nixon TD+ with 3XAC PSU

Movies
iBook -> M-audio Transit -> Glass TOS cable - Scott Nixon TD+ with 3XAC PSU

As was previously said there is significant delay with the APX so movies are not possible.

The APX is really nice if you want to move it around and using WDS I can link my
upstairs network with my down stairs AP base sation.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Is a Sqeezebox a suitable alternative to APX

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 11
Is there such a thing as a good USB cable? What USB DAC's are affordable? I was originally looking at an Entech 203.2 on eBay which is cheap but then I would also have to buy an Airport Express. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back