IBasso T5 mini review
Jul 8, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
I think if you have iems that expensive you might want to invest in a more spacious and dynamic sounding portable amplifier, something again more along the lines of the D2 Boa or something ( if you want to stick to Ibasso ).  That's just my recommendation, the Boa is the same price as the T5, last thing I want to do is recommend something more expensive but I think that would be the wiser way to go.  It is bigger of course but I just wouldn't be using any of the smaller slim amps on something like that.

But to answer your question, it would depend on your source.  If the source player is weak you will hear a difference, if it is something like the J3 or a nicer portable player you might not hear so much of a difference.  Just my two cents.  Best of luck :)

You are really suggesting the boa over the T5?

:S

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:
so wht would u recommend as a portable amp for the ultrasone 900's?
thanks for the reply!!

i'll be trying the T5 with some beyer DT1350(80ohm) over the next week, but seeing as your 900's are only 40ohm and the power output of the t5 is quite respectable, i just dont see how it couldnt drive them well.

Hell, the fiio E5 can drive that kind of ohmage.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #20 of 20
Right, recieved my T5 from ibasso today.

I put a good 4 hours on the unit before even listening to it properly, i have tested it with the beyer DT1350(80ohms), and it drives them really well. DT1350 scale up really well, and they really sound lovely out of the T5.

I get all the positive impressions from the reviews i have read... textured, spacious sound, with good authority.

For me this means the unit is fine for small DJ type headphones too. I read the review that refers to it as a pocket rocket, and really for its size its quite true.

My only quibble about the T5 is the finish, the cap that covers the usb is annoying, the rubberised edges will scratch very easily, and the top and bottom panels are rather unimaginative. Gone are the trademark fancy lettering.

But as for sound, its already nice, and this thing apparently needs 100 hours+ to get anywhere near its best.

EDIT @ 20 hours:

This thing sounds brilliant with the DT1350 from an ipod 5.5g. At first it was good, but after 20 hours of burn in it has started to evolve into something much better, the seperation first and foremost is really superb, and the imaging has suddenly taken on quite a bit of width.....which with closed back dj's/monitors like the DT1350 is a real nice bonus.

Just waiting for the range to balance out a little and it will be the perfect portable amp for anything up to around 100ohms imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back