IBasso T5 , C421, Headstage Arrow which one to choose ?
Sep 23, 2012 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jxhyde

Head-Fier
Hello 

i am looking for a small amp to drive on my Ipod 5G HD25, Hifiman RE262 and ATH ESW9 

today i have a PA2V2 (i have also used an Ibasso D-zero but i prefer the prat of the pa2V2) but is formfactor is not really fair for my pocket , so i want change it for a less thick one who can have better sound with also a good life battery. 

Reading a lot of posts i think T5, Arrow or C421 would be a good choice 

I like warm and sweet sound and i listen a lot of Country rock , blues, like lucinda williams or tony joe white for example 

can you help me for that  ?
smily_headphones1.gif

sorry for my english it is not really easy to me to write in this language
smile_phones.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 13
thanks for your answer 
smily_headphones1.gif
 do you think it  has  the best power to drive the RE262 ?

with my PA2V2 i think the power is not efficient to drive it so i will be carefull in my choice : i have a better sound (not a good sound but a better sound) with my ipod alone 
confused.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Well, ClieOS tried both RE272 and RE262 with the T5. The stepdance has more power, and sounds better, according to him but is about twice the price.
I think ClieOS has experience with c421 as well.

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 13
between the two looking about the specifications i see 3 advantages fot the ibasso : a better time with the battery, a smaller formfactor and a better price.

is there any chance that another one from my shortlist will be better, for exemple the leckerton ?

another question is there a bass boost or a level of gain on the ibasso ?

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 13
I have Ibasso T 5 , jds lab C 421 and arrow 4 G

If you like warm sound , I will suggest you the head stage arrow 4 G

First you have long Battery live ca 30 hours , second you have setting like : bass, high ,gain

And cross feed

SQ arrow 4 G in my opinion is the best from these 3 amps above.

More detail and open but not harsh , mid ate sweet and clear , bass impact

Deep and very good impact , has big power to drive LCD 2 and your hd 25 too.

Has wider soundstage between these 3 amps.

C 421 has very big power too but you can not hear to long make your ear a bit fatigue.

This is my personal impression.

The head stage arrow 4 G latest batch has some improvement in the sound quality.

More detail , better separation that you can hear the music instrument more clearly and

Better placement. The soundstage is the widest compare these 3 amps .

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 13
yes i have a big chance 
beerchug.gif
you have three members from my shortlist . Many thanks for your description , but i have another question because the arrow is more expensive than the others : i have seen for sale on the forum an arrow 3G ; is there a big difference between the two ; if there is not i can have it if is allways for sale for the price of the c421

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 13
The different betwee arrow 3 G vs 4 G are :

Arrow 4 G : has more detail and better separation compare to arrow 3 G

Has weider soundstage than arrow 3 G

Arrow 3 G : has better bass impact , but the rest arrow 4 G is better

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 13
many thanks for your answer

now i think i have reduced my choice with your help with only two amps : the Arrow and the TTVJ slim 

for the arrow a slim size, a better battery life for sure , a same price for the two, but what about the sound difference, the power, between the two ?

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 13
finally i have bought today ... an Ibasso T5 

i dont think it is the best one but it has the best price for the smallest size.

I hope it will be a at last a good choice, a good compromize in fact,  even if it is not your best recommandation
smily_headphones1.gif

many  thanks for your help
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back