iBASSO SR2 - mini review
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #16 of 32
@Mhog55 I've seen you on the Meze 99 thread. How would compare the SR2's to the 99's? I know they're different types of headphone but both are lean warm so I was curious where either of them excel from one another.

Thanks!
Well neither are what I'd consider lean sounding. 99s are quite a good bit warmer, and perhaps a slight touch darker. SR2 provides a more mature listen. Higher resolution, wider sound stage, and better details. Ibasso has better extension on top, and the bass is more textured with better layering. Mids are also presented in a more realistic manner - doesn't sound as closed in, closer to being in or around the studio. Mids are kinda the bread and butter of both of these headphones. SR2 is also the most comfortable I've experienced.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #17 of 32
@Mhog55 I've seen you on the Meze 99 thread. How would compare the SR2's to the 99's? I know they're different types of headphone but both are lean warm so I was curious where either of them excel from one another.

Thanks!
Also, what's really nice is that you can use any of the Meze 99 cables with the SR2.

Apr 13, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #18 of 32
Also, what's really nice is that you can use any of the Meze 99 cables with the SR2.
Awesome comparison. I really appreciate those notes on it. It makes me more interested in these now.

For the cables I thought the SR2's use the 3.5mm and the Meze's are TS mono and from the photos it looks like the SR2's are 3.5 TRS balanced.

I could be wrong as I don't have them, have you tried the Meze cables? I do have the silver balanced so that would be a nice bonus to get balanced from the SR2's.

1618351672615.png
1618351756543.png

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #19 of 32
Awesome comparison. I really appreciate those notes on it. It makes me more interested in these now.

For the cables I thought the SR2's use the 3.5mm and the Meze's are TS mono and from the photos it looks like the SR2's are 3.5 TRS balanced.

I could be wrong as I don't have them, have you tried the Meze cables? I do have the silver balanced so that would be a nice bonus to get balanced from the SR2's.

1618351672615.png1618351756543.png
I use the Meze balanced silver upgrade cable with my 99s, SR2, 7200, and H6. All is good.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #21 of 32
Getting my SR2's next week probably. I'm very excited about this headphone, maybe more than any other headphone.
The comparison to the HD660 has me a little worried though, in that these are supposedly similar in terms of imaging and stage?

As far as I have read, the HD660s is only marginally better than the HD650 in that regard. Now I happen to have an HD650 and it is bordering on piss-poor in terms of imaging specificity, precision etc, and has a rather lackluster 3-blob stage. It does however have really stellar instrument separation, which is NOT the same thing as imaging.

Can anyone clarify here: Does the SR2 really not have marked improvements over something like a HD660s in terms of imaging and stage?

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #22 of 32
Getting my SR2's next week probably. I'm very excited about this headphone, maybe more than any other headphone.
The comparison to the HD660 has me a little worried though, in that these are supposedly similar in terms of imaging and stage?

As far as I have read, the HD660s is only marginally better than the HD650 in that regard. Now I happen to have an HD650 and it is bordering on piss-poor in terms of imaging specificity, precision etc, and has a rather lackluster 3-blob stage. It does however have really stellar instrument separation, which is NOT the same thing as imaging.

Can anyone clarify here: Does the SR2 really not have marked improvements over something like a HD660s in terms of imaging and stage?
It might be slightly better in terms of imaging, but being it's a semi open, the soundstage isn't going to be significantly larger. I think that you will much prefer the presentation of the SR2 over the 660s. I know I certainly do. I find it significantly more engaging.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #23 of 32
It might be slightly better in terms of imaging, but being it's a semi open, the soundstage isn't going to be significantly larger. I think that you will much prefer the presentation of the SR2 over the 660s. I know I certainly do. I find it significantly more engaging.
I mean, if the SR2 is only sightly better than the HD660s in terms of imaging, then I can only conclude that it must suck at it, because it's the Achilles heel of the HD6X0 line. This is contrary to virtually all other impressions I've read. I'll get to the bottom of it soon enough.

What are you driving your SR2's with?

About the stage, it's quite impressive that it manages to be wider despite being semi open.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #24 of 32
I mean, if the SR2 is only sightly better than the HD660s in terms of imaging, then I can only conclude that it must suck at it, because it's the Achilles heel of the HD6X0 line. This is contrary to virtually all other impressions I've read. I'll get to the bottom of it soon enough.

What are you driving your SR2's with?

About the stage, it's quite impressive that it manages to be wider despite being semi open.
I'm just going to wait for your impressions.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #26 of 32
Mine just arrived at Brazil Customs. As far as I know my pair it's the first one in the country - I'm feeling quite excited ;3
The review from our friend voja put the nail in the coffin for me since I'd bought a Sivga Phoenix (and loved them) based upon his recommendation.
About a week from now I expect to receive them and give my first impressions.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #28 of 32
Mine just arrived at Brazil Customs. As far as I know my pair it's the first one in the country - I'm feeling quite excited ;3
The review from our friend voja put the nail in the coffin for me since I'd bought a Sivga Phoenix (and loved them) based upon his recommendation.
About a week from now I expect to receive them and give my first impressions.
Excellent. He sold me on it too.

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #29 of 32
Updated : 3-19

IBasso S2R. - Mini Review : 3-18-2021

Fundamentals :

Cost : $549 USD

Box : Has a nice case and also contains extra perforated leather pads.

Clamping Pressure : Comfortable.

Headphones weight: Think Sennheiser HD

Pads : Are not shallow, they are leather, and they are soft. Nice Pads.

Headband: Wide and padded

Cable : Silver, braided, silent/non-microphonic

The SR2 is an over the ears Dynamic Drivers's Audiophile Gear designed with "Tesla Magnetic Flux Tech"
The Sound im perceiving is designed to be :

1. Liquid

2. Detailed

3. Sweet

There was a time before everyone worried about too much detail retrieval , when you bought headphones because they sounded good.
What we were after was "does it sound good".
That's all changed now, as the sound game has been reinvented and redirected.
Now its about paying for more "perceived detail"... more "perceived this, and more perceived that".
i perceive that a lot of very expensive headphones don't sound very good.
So, is all this a rabbit hole? Is this a farce? Is this a hustle? Are we being played ?

Well..... before all THAT took over the world of headphone listening, a sound like the one coming out of the SR2, would have been all you could want.

This Gear offers you a nice taste of velvety sonics combined with nice detail retrieval.
What's that? You say you want a beautiful natural sound, not fatiguing, and you want lots of DETAILS.
A.) Buy these.
The SR2 has been expertly designed then tuned for long listening sessions dialed in as fatigue free.
Midrange is smooth, and textured.., Low end is solid, and the Trebles are more revealing than airy. This means they are revealing while not sounding thin or sterile.
Piano, Acoustic guitar, Electric guitar, Orchestra, Jazz, & Vocals, are this Gear's bread and butter all night long song.

Specs :

(See photo of back of Box for the deep specifications).

Treble : Sweet, good detail, zero sibilance.

Midrange : Smooth, refined, nice texture.

Low Mids : very slightly elevated to produce body and a tasteful amount of warmth.

Bass : Full, rich, less detailed than Lovely. Not Bass canons, but not Bass light.

Timbre : Elegant

Soundstage : Its decently wide, more wide then intimate, and feels natural to your ears.

The SR2 is another good set of headphones.
It does not "sound like", one i can describe to you.
It certainly does its Sonic own thing, and does it well.

The SR2 has no noticeable build or sonic flaws, wears well, and is a great experience 4 when you are not wanting to hear microscopes but only want to kick back and relax and enjoy the music.

Verdict : Some Headphones try to impress you with too much FR and some headphones invite you into their lovely world of sound. This is that one.
You dont analyze music with these, you just smile and keep listening.
-
-

=

-
Great review. What would be your impressions of the Ibasso SR2 Vs Ultrasone Edition 11? I own the Edition 11 and honestly, they are one of my most prized and precious dynamics I have had the pleasure to listen to and own. I will never let go of them. I love them way too much. They just do so sooo much right. They are fun, analytical, technical, precise, clear, musical and spacious with amazing imaging and insane dynamics. Timbre is spot on and realistic. I have heard the Ibasso SR2 briefly a while back but its tricky listening to them again. Was just wondering if you could do a comparison and describe the differences as I am interested in the SR2. But I currently own the Avantone Planar which I absolutely love, especially with the eq I use. I also have a Audeze Sine DX with new custom earpads which make them a insane clarity and detail beast.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #30 of 32
Hello, I read on the Fostex TH900 thread that the iBasso's SR2 pads were perfect for the TH900. I cannot find them online sold separately. Any links? Thank you.

@hardstyleloco: funny that you mention the Edition 11 because I almost bought them last year. But ended up buying the LSA HP2. I'm satisfied with them, but was still curious about the Edition 11. They are quite expensive and impossible to find used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back