iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #376 of 1,046
It actually can retrieve pretty crazy details that can Rival the HD800S, but only when you have a good amplifier.

I swap out the stock pads because I have my own preferences, references, and confidences on what I am seeking and or looking for. By using perforated pads, I was able to achieve what I desired and deemed as an upgrades. But no body has to follow

After all, my references system is only a cheap Stax SR-009 and SR-009S with a cheaply made KG-T2 and a cheap PC. So, don’t worry about it.

Here is a picture of my cheap system that I use as references. Though my confidences for what my desires and goals are, it has been pretty clear even before I have this system, and it was exactly what lead me to have this system.

Use stock pads if running out of mobile devices with weak power. I find that if run from amp, the bass becomes overpowering - therefore require perforated pads. Can anyone comment if the autuer pads is better than Brainwave pads, thanks

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #377 of 1,046
Use stock pads if running out of mobile devices with weak power. I find that if run from amp, the bass becomes overpowering - therefore require perforated pads. Can anyone comment if the autuer pads is better than Brainwave pads, thanks
Yes, I want to reduce bass too.
That is one of reason I punched pin holes in back cover (not driver's one, not yet, event I open it up and touch).
When open this mask big enough (not some thing small as pin hole) mid is no longer be smooth, sweet
We definately have our own preferences :) I like the tuning as it is... Maybe a boost at 14khz-> I don't think I hear that much above 16khz but somehow when there is a boost at highest frequencies makes it sound more airy/effortless. Of course someone who hears those frequencies would hate it...
I stop at 15khz.
Treble of sr1 is quite stranged for me : it has less treble than denon d2000 for most of tracks I compared but on some tracks sr1 give more treble than d2000.

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #378 of 1,046
This album shows best potential of sr1!
I can not request anymore from this headphone when listening to this album, event driving by just a smartphone - ss note8
Screenshot_20181201-195414_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #380 of 1,046
I have waited a few days before I posted anything about this amp. I bought it basically to see how bad a $100 balanced tube hybrid amp could be. Boy did I get a surprise , it is actually a nice little amplifier ! It has a very large sound-stage and very nice sound all around, this is with the stock tubes that came with it. I also bout a set of NOS tubes with it for the crazy price of $24, getting ready to pop them, as they should add more detail. You can use 6n3/6n3p, 5670/5670w, 396a, 2c51 and more.
So far from what I have heard it is close to being as good as the massdrop cavalli mcth that I have, the mcth is not balanced and cost $250. I am not the only one that likes this amp, a google search provides links to different forums that give their opinions about this amp. I will post the link to amazon for it, also right now you can get a additional 10 % off.
https://www.amazon.com/LOXJIE-Balan...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TBWSPFTKYVNB4AHGEHAX

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #383 of 1,046
I do a lot of listening in bed and wondered if the SR1 is too bulky to be comfortable by wearing them in bed?

Thanks
Opposite to me.
I feel it is much more comfort when lying : clamping force reduced, weight less.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #384 of 1,046
Opposite to me.
I feel it is much more comfort when lying : clamping force reduced, weight less.
Clamping force can be adjusted by bending the metal band

I do a lot of listening in bed and wondered if the SR1 is too bulky to be comfortable by wearing them in bed?

Thanks

I do the same, and I love SR1 for that

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #387 of 1,046
Treble of sr1 is quite stranged for me : it has less treble than denon d2000 for most of tracks I compared but on some tracks sr1 give more treble than d2000.
Uh, maybe it's that way on the recordings?

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #389 of 1,046
Hopefully, with my earlier feedback about headband size, and a lower cost construction, and those wanting more open / vented style pads, there could be a non-limited run model in the future costing and weighing a bit less (not that they're too heavy) that can reach far enough for longer heads, with stock sealed and vented type pads included. They could have more oval / ear shaped pads, perhaps identical in size and how they are installed as the popular HM5 style (standard and angled). That would allow users with many other pan options from Dekoni and others that would fit perfectly, with no slipping or difficult stretching to install. Possibly two versions of the new headphones, a semi-open and closed (for bass heads). These are just my suggestions, it's not an easy thing to develop headphones, and sonically these are among the best, at any price.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #390 of 1,046
I have to change a comment before : sr1 was NOT easy driven by mobile device.
I meant that volume is big and bigger than need but quality is not a hope from a mobile.

Now I must revise : sr1 hates my sp1000 and ak120ii. It loves my samsung note8 with EQ.
Most boring is when sr1 is driven by sp1000.
This thing I found in 1st day after bought sr1. Low end of the dap gained by sr1 to be a boring, no texture bass...
On 1st day I found ak120ii and sr1 are lovers.
Not so correct. My smartphone sound even better on sr1 when eq.
Below eq makes my ak120ii go back to the box.
Just one eq use each time. Graph eq is my most use.
I found AK daps will be reduce of cleaness and lost dynamic when eqing so I never use for any headphone.

How fun this headphone is!!
Screenshot_20181205-235607_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
Screenshot_20181205-235638_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back