iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Feb 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #796 of 1,046
The SR1 are high end and compete head to head with my Utopia. The DX200 is a high end dap and the DX150 is upper mid. The IT04 are very high quality for both shells and sound. I have been able to compare them directly with IEMs costing 3600 and preferred the upper frequencies of the IT04 as cleaner and more realistic with no peaks and not tilted up. The stock cable is something I haven't even upgraded, though I have a cable here that works fine on it that cost over 600 and is excellent but the stock cable, though not quite as good, does a fine job so the entire package is a good deal. Then there are the choices of some nice amps for the DX200 or 150 and that makes it so easy to change the sound to something that individually might be more desirable.

And so it goes.

giphy.gif

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #797 of 1,046
I'm going to try the Fostex TH900 Fenestrated Sheepskin Ear Pads. Looking at the standard Fostex earpads from Dekoni they seem like they will fit.
How did these work out? I got the PT1, and while they are an improvement over stock, I think bigger holes might yield a further improvement...

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #800 of 1,046
I haven't heard the 8200, but I heard a demo of the 8600, which uses the 300B, and it was impressive:)
I've not heard the 8600. I've heard from quite a few people that it is one of the best tube amps they've heard.

The 8200 is so smooth sounding. One of those special amps that gives you tingles when you listen to it. I'm very impressed with my experience so far. It's my favorite tube amp. I've owned some nice tube amps in my time to.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #801 of 1,046
Thanks so much! So the question is, would one of these amps be worthwhile over simply driving my SR1 out of the DX200 with Amp 8? I'm actually leaning towards the Loxjie because it is balanced, gets favorable reviews, and at that price, why not give it a shot?

Hi @jaker782,

Well, the short answer to that question is it all depends on you...
But overall answer is yes.
There is good synergy all round which is important.
If you really wanted, you can still use your DX 200 with Amp 8 as a source, veclan.com has good adapter cables

Since you already have the LCX, give that more of a shot if you haven't already, otherwise it doesn't hurt to get the Loxjie P 20, not only due to serving your preferences but it is a very decent tube amp for that price, as you also said.
Personally & subjectively, I generally run the P 20 single ended as my desk source is directly outputting to the P 20 at a higher audio level than my balanced out.
Honestly, for me, I can't tell a whole lot of difference sonically in 'clean signal' whether it's balanced or not.
This is probably due to my desk source having good SNR, etc

As a final note, if you're not familiar with using tube amps, remember to have more than adequate space & ventilation as tubes get ridiculously hot.
This might sound silly to say but I have come across many people who don't get these two simple but important facts about tubes.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #802 of 1,046
This is what I am curious to do on stock pad since I get PT1 pad.
Today have time to do 4 minutes job x 4 holes per second /each pad.

I punch only inner side, using typical sewing needle.

Result, on stock cable (mod balance jack) :
I will forget PT1 very soon!

Highs has much detail and spacious sound. PT1 did not improve highs detail, just bring quantity!
Mid is sweet and detail.
No bloat bass (this is no relation, it comes from punching holes on other sealing section I did).
Sound stage similar PT1 in size, but positioning of vocal and high notes is better, well blending
20190210_112348.jpg
20190210_112048.jpg

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #803 of 1,046
This is what I am curious to do on stock pad since I get PT1 pad.
Today have time to do 4 minutes job x 4 holes per second /each pad.

I punch only inner side, using typical sewing needle.

Result, on stock cable (mod balance jack) :
I will forget PT1 very soon!

Highs has much detail and spacious sound. PT1 did not improve highs detail, just bring quantity!
Mid is sweet and detail.
No bloat bass (this is no relation, it comes from punching holes on other sealing section I did).
Sound stage similar PT1 in size, but positioning of vocal and high notes is better, well blending

Awesome idea! Your experiment proves that PT1 holes are WAY too small. I'll give it a try!

I am also curious about velour pads... I replaced leather pads with velour ones on my LCD2Cs and the improvement was substantial. Similar to what we are hearing with fenestrated pads on SR1:)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #804 of 1,046
Awesome idea! Your experiment proves that PT1 holes are WAY too small. I'll give it a try!

I am also curious about velour pads... I replaced leather pads with velour ones on my LCD2Cs and the improvement was substantial. Similar to what we are hearing with fenestrated pads on SR1:)

Pls note that my unit was punched with pin holes (as in pic, some holes are seeing able, actually full around).
It improve tonal to less warmth, reduce 80Hz-130Hz range with even stock pad it is over done, so I dont have high demand of PT1.
The 2nd pic is when I close pin holes by tape to confirm when PT1 arrival.

Back to pin holes on stock pad : it is not big hole as in pic 1 bcs of leather elastic. Almost can not see holes on the pad after punched even how many holes I make.

Just confirm again now by swap pad. PT1 has a litle wider in stage - while stock pad punch holes has better high notes and vocal. High notes has more texture

Screenshot_20190210-200011_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190210-200036_Gallery.jpg

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #805 of 1,046
Hi @jaker782,

Well, the short answer to that question is it all depends on you...
But overall answer is yes.
There is good synergy all round which is important.
If you really wanted, you can still use your DX 200 with Amp 8 as a source, veclan.com has good adapter cables

Since you already have the LCX, give that more of a shot if you haven't already, otherwise it doesn't hurt to get the Loxjie P 20, not only due to serving your preferences but it is a very decent tube amp for that price, as you also said.
Personally & subjectively, I generally run the P 20 single ended as my desk source is directly outputting to the P 20 at a higher audio level than my balanced out.
Honestly, for me, I can't tell a whole lot of difference sonically in 'clean signal' whether it's balanced or not.
This is probably due to my desk source having good SNR, etc

As a final note, if you're not familiar with using tube amps, remember to have more than adequate space & ventilation as tubes get ridiculously hot.
This might sound silly to say but I have come across many people who don't get these two simple but important facts about tubes.

Thanks for the insight! I actually recently sold my LCX because it wasn't getting much use but I am now regretting not having a desktop amp for my SR1. I've decided on the Loxjie. As long as it sounds halfway decent balanced I'll be happy. I've ordered a pair of GE jan 5670 tubes for it as well based on a few recommendations from others. Thanks!

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #806 of 1,046
Thanks for the insight! I actually recently sold my LCX because it wasn't getting much use but I am now regretting not having a desktop amp for my SR1. I've decided on the Loxjie. As long as it sounds halfway decent balanced I'll be happy. I've ordered a pair of GE jan 5670 tubes for it as well based on a few recommendations from others. Thanks!

No problem @jaker782,

Hope you enjoy it !

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #807 of 1,046
Pls note that my unit was punched with pin holes (as in pic, some holes are seeing able, actually full around).
It improve tonal to less warmth, reduce 80Hz-130Hz range with even stock pad it is over done, so I dont have high demand of PT1.
The 2nd pic is when I close pin holes by tape to confirm when PT1 arrival.

Back to pin holes on stock pad : it is not big hole as in pic 1 bcs of leather elastic. Almost can not see holes on the pad after punched even how many holes I make.

Just confirm again now by swap pad. PT1 has a litle wider in stage - while stock pad punch holes has better high notes and vocal. High notes has more texture

I listened with a flatly tuned amplifier and used the PT1 pad and opened 5 small holes.
A feeling of freedom of a high region like an open type was obtained in 4 to 5 holes.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #808 of 1,046
So, I opened up lots of the holes in the PT1 with a pin. Much more neutral now. Still warm from neutral, but the subass hump is reduced. I think the holes are so small that they actually are not open, so they have less of an effect than they should.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #809 of 1,046
I listened with a flatly tuned amplifier and used the PT1 pad and opened 5 small holes.
A feeling of freedom of a high region like an open type was obtained in 4 to 5 holes.
Before get PT1 pad I was on stock pad - too tight sealing so air is no way escape. Increasing of air pressure is sometimes, be serious to me (or my ears are too sensitive at pressure). Bass come not only sound but physical pressure when bass pump (I am not fan of dance, my tracks are almost normal bass content).
Even low piano notes can raise the pressure.
I did 6 holes at first, then immediately see effective. That was on stock pad - I listen and on the next day I add more 6.
Total is 12. Stock pad I think 12 is need, maybe more open and less warmth v.s 6.

I also open a big area on the sound mask screen (there're 6 zones, I openned one) -> sound bad, sub bass gone, lifeless. Then I close the openned area.

Now 12 holes with PT1.
I will close 6 holes and try on PT1 to compare.

Btw, I opened ear cup, cover and frame of SR1. I see driver structure has another mask screen on the back of drivers.
-> This screen is biggest factor for driver responding. I didn't make pin holes on that screen but very curious what sound will come if punching.
It press high pressure inside, much more than on the ear cup space.

I dare to do some holes there. I want my sr1 alive :D

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #810 of 1,046
So, I opened up lots of the holes in the PT1 with a pin. Much more neutral now. Still warm from neutral, but the subass hump is reduced. I think the holes are so small that they actually are not open, so they have less of an effect than they should.
Hi,
I think the same.
We can guess that : even with low notes, air is full fill and take out each beats, mean many time per sec.
Even air volume is not much (we can calculate it by diameter of drv x stroke length)... but how is realation between them, relatively?
How much and how fast air quantity can leak out per second..... etc

I think only one way very fast the air will go, is punch on the mask screen.

It is air escape, not temperary fill in side the pad.

P.S ibasso cable CB12s is one cable to give less warmth of the sound, more clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back