iBasso P2 Charging Circuit - Defective?
Feb 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Ymir9

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I think I've got a damaged charging circuit (or something) on my iBasso P2. It might very well be my fault, since I've been using the thing mostly as a desktop amp for over a year; the warranty is expired by now.

A couple months ago I started noticing that the charging light on my P2 would blink rhythmically red (charging) on and off. After it turned green it would continue blinking on and off; red, then quickly green again, then off and on again in that pattern. The blinking would slowly accelerate to about a blink a second until fully charged, at which point the rate would decrease to only occasionally blinking on and off.

a few weeks later, turning on the P2 became difficult after a full charge (or at least what I think is a full charge). It wouldn't switch on the first time, but pressing the switch repeatedly (sometimes slowly, or with a thumb on the DC port would get it switched on. Eventually this too stopped working, and the only way I can get it to switch on is with the DC plug. I can pull the plug out afterwards (it takes a second after pressing power for the thing to fire up) and it'll run fine off the battery, however, at a noticeably reduced battery life.

I don't mind only running it off AC power since I mostly use it as a stationary amp for my Zero DAC, but when I plug it in with the DC, first: I get a slight ground loop from (I think) the two-prong P2 wall-wart transformer and the grounded Zero, but more bothersome is the heartbeat like fluttering of the charging circuit blinking on and off.

Does anyone know of any way to just disable the circuit and have it run straight off of the AC? Would disconnecting the batteries help? I heard that some of the older P2's had a bad charging chip, and this might just be one of them.

Thanks for your insight, I know it's a strange problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back