Ibasso DX90/ Fiio X1/ or Sony NWZ A17
Apr 10, 2015 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moodyda

New Head-Fier
I've had experience with all 3.  Also auditioned the Hidizs AP 100 (too many glitches, sounded nice tho) and the Fiio X3/X5 but it has come down to those 3.  
First off the sound is a little different on each one and all of these units were able to drive my (iem) Shure se535's and my Grado sr325is without any strain.  The Grado would benefit from a small amp like my little airhead but other than that I can use all of these independently.
The reason I got in to the move towards a DAP is when I purchased a new car with usb connectivity.  At first I was thinking Ipod , like afreind of mine, who runs 2 of them through his Ford sync system.  I thought that was pretty cool, but to my surprise that (Ipod) ship had sailed.  I never really cared for the whole Apple scene anyway. 
Came here did a little research and found that the Fiio's were highly regarded. Tried all the Fiio's and stuck on the $99 value minded unit X1. In the beginning I also got the Sony and really liked it, but it would not play with my car via usb, so I returned it.  Then I got the Ibasso DX 90 with a 128gb card for $479 and after a short break-in period really fell in love with its laid back characteristics.  Now I am re-ordering the Sony because I found that I did not need any of these in the car while now preferring just a 32 gb usb flash drive.  All the time I thought that I could play the hi res music through the usb, which is not the case, Mp3 only.  
Now as I wait for the Sony to come early next week, I am comparing the X1 and DX90 non stop.  While I do prefer everything about the DX90 I don't know if I can justify the price difference (because they are close). When I say close I mean if I didn't have one or the other to compare to I don't think that I would miss anything.
I cannot remember what the sony sounded like so I had to order it again.  I think that the sony will win overall because I did like it and prefer the features and lack of glitching that ALL of the Chinese units seem to suffer from.  Also the Sony does add Bluetooth.  
Finally a thought about high resolution.  I never heard of this format before and really got into it with the purchasing of these new units.  I will say that all of these units are better than any "I" device or even my Galaxy s4 on any format.  I do not hear a difference yet 16 and 24 bit music.  Heck I don't know if there is much of a difference between Lame vbr vs 320 mp3.  Next I will have to compare Lame VBR vs 24/192 and see if I can tell the difference.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm sorry I didn't ask a question, just sort of rambled on.  What do you think is the best DAP for my needs?
Which once again in no particular order; a player that is Stable, good ui, excellent sound reproduction, able to drive my headphones (Grado sr325/Shure Se535.iem), play the lossy+ flac+  hi res files, relatively small, and won't break the bank.

Thanks  

May 3, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 5
  I've had experience with all 3.  Also auditioned the Hidizs AP 100 (too many glitches, sounded nice tho) and the Fiio X3/X5 but it has come down to those 3.  
First off the sound is a little different on each one and all of these units were able to drive my (iem) Shure se535's and my Grado sr325is without any strain.  The Grado would benefit from a small amp like my little airhead but other than that I can use all of these independently.
The reason I got in to the move towards a DAP is when I purchased a new car with usb connectivity.  At first I was thinking Ipod , like afreind of mine, who runs 2 of them through his Ford sync system.  I thought that was pretty cool, but to my surprise that (Ipod) ship had sailed.  I never really cared for the whole Apple scene anyway. 
Came here did a little research and found that the Fiio's were highly regarded. Tried all the Fiio's and stuck on the $99 value minded unit X1. In the beginning I also got the Sony and really liked it, but it would not play with my car via usb, so I returned it.  Then I got the Ibasso DX 90 with a 128gb card for $479 and after a short break-in period really fell in love with its laid back characteristics.  Now I am re-ordering the Sony because I found that I did not need any of these in the car while now preferring just a 32 gb usb flash drive.  All the time I thought that I could play the hi res music through the usb, which is not the case, Mp3 only.  
Now as I wait for the Sony to come early next week, I am comparing the X1 and DX90 non stop.  While I do prefer everything about the DX90 I don't know if I can justify the price difference (because they are close). When I say close I mean if I didn't have one or the other to compare to I don't think that I would miss anything.
I cannot remember what the sony sounded like so I had to order it again.  I think that the sony will win overall because I did like it and prefer the features and lack of glitching that ALL of the Chinese units seem to suffer from.  Also the Sony does add Bluetooth.  
Finally a thought about high resolution.  I never heard of this format before and really got into it with the purchasing of these new units.  I will say that all of these units are better than any "I" device or even my Galaxy s4 on any format.  I do not hear a difference yet 16 and 24 bit music.  Heck I don't know if there is much of a difference between Lame vbr vs 320 mp3.  Next I will have to compare Lame VBR vs 24/192 and see if I can tell the difference.

What are the conclusions, as in, you re-ordered the A17?

At one point, (I haven't pulled the trigger yet), I was thinking X5,DX90 and now the A17. I am going for the A17, as it has bluetooth option, plus the low latency aptx. Will also be acquiring the Sony MDR 1ABT, as soon as it becomes available in the USA.It also has low latency aptx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back