iBasso DX80 to Beyerdynamic T5p v2 weak link
Sep 4, 2016 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

gstepic

Head-Fier
I am an old guy that loves music and still has a lot to learn. I have not been able to try a lot of different gear in my lifetime, just now stepping up into higher end stuff. I had the Fiio X5 DAP and PSB Mau1 headphones, which I thought sounded pretty good. I just replaced the Fiio with an iBasso DX80, mainly for the longer battery life and the fact the Fiio seemed to be pooping out on me. I upgraded the headphones to the Beyerdynamic T5p v2. I chose the close end version because I will be spending a lot of time where someone in the family will be watching TV but I want to listen to music and a lot of this time will be away from home.

From what I have read the t5P v2s are fairly efficient but I can't help but think they could benefit from a headphone amp, I could be wrong of course. I just ordered the Fiio E17 Alpen portable amp but now I am having second thoughts because I am remembering the old saying that any music system is only as good as the weakest link. I know down the road I will get a powered amp, but I am now thinking maybe it would be wise to spend a bit more and get something that would get the most out of the iBasso/T5p v2 set up.

I am still breaking in my new gear and I am pleased to say I do notice a good improvement over what I had. I just want to make sure I can get the most out of this system so if a better portable amp can make a difference please let me know and comments are welcome.

Gary

PS: As I am writing this I am seeing the SoundBlaster ad for the E5, wonder if this would be a step up from the Fiio E17. I am also curious if the Bluetooth function means I could send music from by iBasso to Bluetooth speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back