iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #6,211 of 6,795
Have you tried swapping the cards in the slots ?
I have 2 Sandisk 128gb in mine and for some reason one of the slots does not read one of the cards however it reads the other and the one that does not work is fine in the other slot.
Might be worth swapping if you have not tried.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #6,212 of 6,795
Hi - new (very pleased) dx80 owner (previously dx90)

Referring to the question some weeks back about how to format the sd card.

If anyone is still interested,  I formatted my card as ntfs on the dx90, I found that
a) dx90 recognised ntfs (but not documented), and
b) syncing (from Linux, via rsync) was way way quicker (4x?)  than when formatted
    as fat32.  And in addition, I was able to use characters in file and directory names in
    ntfs that are illegal in fat32.

When I got the dx80, I moved the card across, and it just worked there too. (card is samsung evo 256Gb)

(The character set limitation may be intrinsic to fat32, or just to the linux implementation of
 fat32 - anyway, it works for me.)

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #6,213 of 6,795
  Paul, can you confirm that the default track ordering will be by track number, rather that alphabetic, in the next DX80 firmware?

Thanks.

That is supposed to be fixed with the next FW update.

To clarify on the "All music" it is alphabetical.  On "Album" it is track number.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,214 of 6,795
Originally Posted by PaulBarnett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I formatted my card as ntfs

NTFS is not flash friendly. Its default cluster size (4KB) is too small for modern cards with very big erase block size. It may be fast on initial filling with relatively big files, but the performance may degrade later, with random updates.

Anyway, if you like NTFS, I'd suggest you to use my builds of firmware (for both DX90 and DX80). I disabled update of "last accessed" timestamps, so that playback is indeed read-only operation.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #6,216 of 6,795
  Anyway, if you like NTFS, I'd suggest you to use my builds of firmware (for both DX90 and DX80). I disabled update of "last accessed" timestamps, so that playback is indeed read-only operation.

noted. thanks.

as it happens, I'm running your firmware already - I didn't know about the 'last access'
fix, that's a nice bonus.

A general question: what do other folk do to work around the character-set limitations
of fat32?

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #6,218 of 6,795
Does anyone know where to find a good right angle adapter I could connect to the SPDIF/mini coaxial out? (what i'm doing right now is 1/8" to RCA -> right angle RCA, which seems convoluted). 

I mean there's always moon-audio, I could get a 1 foot cable from right angle mini coaxial to coaxial, but $100 is a bit much for me for a cable.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #6,220 of 6,795

That is supposed to be fixed with the next FW update.

To clarify on the "All music" it is alphabetical.  On "Album" it is track number.

When can we expect the next fw update? Thanks

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #6,221 of 6,795
  Question about connecting the DX80 to my home system. What is the best way for me to do this? Optical? 
I tried a 3.5mm to RCA out and it sounds like garbage.. 

I went coax on my Schiit Magni/Modi2U stack and it worked beautifully, fantastic SQ on a set of powered Audioengine A5+ speakers

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #6,222 of 6,795
Anyone compared the DX80 to a Dragonfly Red?

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #6,223 of 6,795
Anyone compared the DX80 to a Dragonfly Red?

You mean SQ-wise? Because otherwise they can't really be compared, the DX80 being a fully-fledged DAP and the Dragonfly Red a super-compact, innovative DAC/AMP with no transport or storage capabilities.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #6,224 of 6,795
You mean SQ-wise? Because otherwise they can't really be compared, the DX80 being a fully-fledged DAP and the Dragonfly Red a super-compact, innovative DAC/AMP with no transport or storage capabilities.

Yes, SQ wise.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #6,225 of 6,795
Yes, SQ wise.

Never demoed one against the other. From several reviews, the red Dragonly's SQ appears to be stellar, but I love the neutrality, detail and transparency of the DX80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back