iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 7, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #6,032 of 6,795
Got my second DX80 replacement after an unfortunate set of events with the previous two units which had a manufacturing defect. A big shoutout for Colin @ Advanced MP3 players for being extremely helpful in this process and also for Paul@Ibasso for providing fast answers and an alternative for RMA. Definitely got yourself a loyal customer with this kind of customer service!

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #6,036 of 6,795
  Got my second DX80 replacement after an unfortunate set of events with the previous two units which had a manufacturing defect. A big shoutout for Colin @ Advanced MP3 players for being extremely helpful in this process and also for Paul@Ibasso for providing fast answers and an alternative for RMA. Definitely got yourself a loyal customer with this kind of customer service!

i see  trinity audio iem

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #6,037 of 6,795
I've got a weird card issue which I would appreciate any help with.

Two different micro SDXC cards 128GB each, one Sandisk one Toshiba. Both formated as FAT32 MS-DOS on a Mac using Disc Utility. Both visible as external disks in Finder with the DX80 plugged in as a card reader and both cards are basically full of music.

The DX80 cannot 'see' on of the cards (the Toshiba) - in system info it shows as 0.00G left/0.00G no matter which slot I put it into.

It does recognise that a card is inserted as it prompts for a scan, but that then goes straight from 0% to 100% and finds nothing

Any ideas folks?

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #6,038 of 6,795
  I've got a weird card issue which I would appreciate any help with.

Two different micro SDXC cards 128GB each, one Sandisk one Toshiba. Both formated as FAT32 MS-DOS on a Mac using Disc Utility. Both visible as external disks in Finder with the DX80 plugged in as a card reader and both cards are basically full of music.

The DX80 cannot 'see' on of the cards (the Toshiba) - in system info it shows as 0.00G left/0.00G no matter which slot I put it into.

It does recognise that a card is inserted as it prompts for a scan, but that then goes straight from 0% to 100% and finds nothing

Any ideas folks?

OK, problem solved.

I don't know why, but even though I could see both cards and their content using the DX80 as a reader, when I plugged the 'faulty' card into a standard card reader and plugged it in, my Mac said it was readable and needed formatting.

Formatted in the same way again using Disk Utility and all seems fine.

So the moral of this story seems to be that for some reason I can't format new cards with them in the DX80 using it as a card reader and need to do this first via a normal USB reader.

Seems weird to me but hey-ho.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #6,041 of 6,795
Hello, I'm new to the forum but have had a DX80 for a few months.   

I wanted to thank Paul for his individual and excellent service to me and others.  Nothing creates more brand loyalty than good customer service.  In my opinion, Paul sets the gold standard for this.  

I had a defective battery and Paul suggested that I send it to John in Tuscon for a faster repair. John sourced some new batteries from iBasso and is very experienced in replacing them.  John did an excellent job and I had my DX80 back in less than a week through the USPS.  (Pretty impressive from Tuscon to Florida and back)    John is doing this as a service to people in the USA on his own dime.  He deserves a big thanks for doing this.  If you have a defective battery and live in the USA, send an e-mail to Paul and he can give you John's contact information.  My DX80's battery is operating as it should now and I'm very happy.  Thanks again to both Paul and John for helping me out with this. 

Since there has been a lot of discussion on this thread about micro SD cards, I wanted to let everyone know that I have had excellent performance from the PNY 128GB cards.  They are fast and I have never had a single issue with them not scanning or any lags in performance.  I highly recommend them and you can usually find them a little cheaper on Amazon. They also come with a lifetime warranty.  

I also wanted to say that I really love the DX80.  I am using it primarily with the Fiio X1 IEM's which are excellent for the money and play really well with the DX80.  They are re-branded Dunu Titan 1's at a lower cost and a littler different cosmetic configuration.  I've been more than happy with their sound signature on the DX80. 

I also purchased the Fiio MonteBlanc amplifier and use it in conjunction with the DX80, (Line out) with my Sennheiser HD650's and the results are excellent.  I found the DX80 itself could not really drive the 650's to their full potential, but the MonteBlanc drives them with ease.  You might still find B&H clearing them out at discount prices.  

I have enjoyed reading this thread on the DX80 and look forward to being involved on the forum.  

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #6,043 of 6,795
I've noted a few mentions of battery issues and wonder if I may have one.

My DX80 is less than a year and has been very lightly used in that time. Recently I have started using it quite a lot and have been really impressed with the sound driving my HD800s. However I am not getting anywhere near the claimed battery life.

Playing lossless files with volume at around 120/150 (high gain) with the screen locked and off, I'm seeing battery drain of around 40% in 3hrs, so about 13% per hour = 7.5ish hours from total charged to flat.

Does that seem reasonable given the HD800 load and volume, or do I have a sub-par battery?

iBasso have offered to take it in for a full check but I don't really want to post it to HK if there's nothing really wrong.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #6,044 of 6,795

My DX80 is less than a year and has been very lightly used in that time. Recently I have started using it quite a lot and have been really impressed with the sound driving my HD800s. However I am not getting anywhere near the claimed battery life.

Playing lossless files with volume at around 120/150 (high gain) with the screen locked and off, I'm seeing battery drain of around 40% in 3hrs, so about 13% per hour = 7.5ish hours from total charged to flat.

Does that seem reasonable given the HD800 load and volume, or do I have a sub-par battery?

iBasso have offered to take it in for a full check but I don't really want to post it to HK if there's nothing really wrong.

That is driving it at a pretty good current draw so that could account for the faster drain. If you don't use it for a day do you see much if any drain from the battery from 100%. That is what I look for. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #6,045 of 6,795

You'll also need to specify what type of files you're playing. Higher sampling rate files use more power. However, your drain of 40% in 3hrs does seem a bit excessive. I get 47% drain from 100% after 6 hrs of playing 192/24 files at volume 110 in high gain 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back