iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #5,941 of 6,795
  Will the DX80 be a good match with my Shure SE846 and My V-Moda Crossfade M100?  Would it be a good match with an Audeze EL-8 Closed Back?  I plan on getting those eventually. Would the JH JH13V2 Performance Series and Roxanne be a good match?  I put a DX80 and a new computer on my Christmas list.  My birthday is in mid January so I should be getting both.  Any info on my questions would be very helpful.  Thanks!  Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

You get a DX80 and a new computer for your birthday ?
Someone must really love you.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #5,942 of 6,795
  Is there any reason why the EQ does not work when you use line out? Is there a technical reason for that I missed?

I've been using this thing for almost a year and unlike a lot of people have almost zero complaints. Battery on mine is fine, scanning was never a problem. I'm using Lurker0's version of the FW and it sounds great. 

I would though like a search function :) Is the source code for the player somewhere to be found?

Because the EQ is applied on the AMP section...Lineout bypasses the AMP

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #5,943 of 6,795
Thanks mate. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #5,944 of 6,795
"bloated and exaggerated bass via line out"
Not on my setup: DX80->JDS labs C5 ->Beyerdynamic T5p. Actually on some tracks it is less bass and slightly loose through the headphone output but more of it and perfectly controlled through the line out to C5.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #5,945 of 6,795

You get a DX80 and a new computer for your birthday ?
Someone must really love you.

Well,  Christmas and my birthday.  My parents are going in on them with my grandparents.  My dad wanted to get me something I could get a lot of use out of for a long time instead of stuff I have too much of like clothes and sunglasses.  I have over 250 pairs of sunglasses.  Money is tight, but they would like me to have something I could use and enjoy for a long time.

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #5,946 of 6,795

Well,  Christmas and my birthday.  My parents are going in on them with my grandparents.  My dad wanted to get me something I could get a lot of use out of for a long time instead of stuff I have too much of like clothes and sunglasses.  I have over 250 pairs of sunglasses.  Money is tight, but they would like me to have something I could use and enjoy for a long time.

well, you could sell at least 200 pairs and still have way too much sunglasses for just one person

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #5,948 of 6,795
anybody here pairing dx80 with idsd micro , how is the synergy for ciems ?

thanx for any feedback 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #5,949 of 6,795

thanx for any feedback 
smily_headphones1.gif

Will you connect it over the Line Out or use the iFi's digital input?

It works very well and with the most sensitive setting, there will also be no hiss. The only disadvantage about the iFi is that its potentiometer has got channel imbalance until ~ 11 o'clock.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #5,950 of 6,795

Will you connect it over the Line Out or use the iFi's digital input?

It works very well and with the most sensitive setting, there will also be no hiss. The only disadvantage about the iFi is that its potentiometer has got channel imbalance until ~ 11 o'clock.

i am not very tech knowledgeable , probably use the coaxial cable ?

how is the sound in general , to your ears ?

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #5,951 of 6,795

i am not very tech knowledgeable , probably use the coaxial cable ?

how is the sound in general , to your ears ?

Using the coax cable, the DX80's analogue output stage will be completely bypassed and the ifi's DACs are responsible for decoding the signal, whereas when using the DX80's analogue output, the iBasso's DAC section is active whereas the ifi's is deactivated (the iDSD will then only act as an amplifier).

Using the iBasso's output, the sound is a bit smoother (/"organic" if we're talking "audiophile terms"...) to my ears compared to using the ifi as a DAC where the sound will be a slight bit brighter compared to the iBasso's Line Out.

Overall, I would describe the ifi as very transparent, clean and clear sounding, without any softness or smoothness. It is a great device imvho.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5,953 of 6,795

thanx for any feedback 
smily_headphones1.gif

Why? Just use the DX80  directly. 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,954 of 6,795

confused_face_2.gif

well i like the dx80 standalone sound , but wondered if the idsd micro sounds even better...

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #5,955 of 6,795

confused_face_2.gif

well i like the dx80 standalone sound , but wondered if the idsd micro sounds even better...

If you are hearing hiss with your IEMs, then the ifi would be an improvement in this regard, and would also sound "cleaner" and clearer therefore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back