iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 23, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #5,926 of 6,795
  Out of curiosity, that firmware that iBasso pulled due to the apparent negative effects on the sound....what did they try to change (or introduce) which may have led to the change in sound?

As far as I understand, that was just a software bug, not an intention to change anything soundwise.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #5,927 of 6,795
  As far as I understand, that was just a software bug, not an intention to change anything soundwise.

oh, no I got that. I was just wondering if they perhaps tried to change or introduce some kind of feature which then, somehow, messed with the sound. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #5,928 of 6,795
  However, to be fair (AFAIK), the people you mentioned suggested that the firmware CAN change the sound, not that it absolutely does. 

Out of curiosity, that firmware that iBasso pulled due to the apparent negative effects on the sound....what did they try to change (or introduce) which may have led to the change in sound?

OK, it CAN and many people believe it DOES.

I have no idea why 1.2.0 sounded so bad or what iBasso did to fix it.  Paul?

I don't know why I let myself get sucked into the same debate so many times here on whether the firmwares sound different or identical!  I suppose it's because I feel vaguely insulted by the people who assert I'm hearing imaginary or placebo differences.

However, the repetition of the argument is tedious for everyone, I'm sure, so I think I'm now going to make all readers happy, retire gracefully and not respond on this issue ever again!

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #5,929 of 6,795
As I have spent almost a year with my Dx80, it's time for brief conclusions.

Pros:
- classy sound quality via headphone out
- powerful amplifier that is capable to cope even with "difficult" headphones (for instance, worked like a charm with 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT-1770)
- twin microSD slots (two slots are a precondition of purchase for an uncurable music addict like me)
- easy operation

Cons:
- battery life (probably it's an issue with my unit that loses 33 % in one hour; perhaps it's FW related as I remember less dramatic battery drain with FW 1.1.4; or maybe the battery is just coming to an end of its lifecycle as I use my DX80 every day)
- bloated and exaggerated bass via line out (I tried it via my Naim/KEF system and the results were pretty terrible compared to Pioneer streamer and Naim CD player as source with the same track)
- buggy UI (unfortunately that's still true after the numerous FW versions)
- insensitive screen

I'd like to keep on using my DX80 given that the battery drain issue is solved.

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #5,930 of 6,795

Sorry, but who said " clearly audible and night-and-day differences" (apart from you just now)?

Fair enough. I was actually thinking back to this post, where someone talks about people loving and hating different iterations of firmware on the DX90. Ridiculously emotive language for talking about software updates. Without reading back the entire thread, I can't be sure anyone has mentioned night-and-day differences between iterations of DX80 firmware but I reckon it's a safe bet. As a general rule, hyperbole rules the roost on H-F when it comes to describing audible differences.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #5,932 of 6,795

Fair enough. I was actually thinking back to this post, where someone talks about people loving and hating different iterations of firmware on the DX90. .....

OK, you've got me fair and square.. at least one person exaggerated! 
k701smile.gif

In fact you got me twice over as I said I wasn't posting any more on this subject and now I have.  Oh the shame!

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #5,934 of 6,795
I have also noticed the difference in sound, not a huge ammount but it is there.
I installed and reinstalled different firmwares one after another and I could hear it.
Might be more noticeable with certain headphones ?

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #5,935 of 6,795
Will the DX80 be a good match with my Shure SE846 and My V-Moda Crossfade M100?  Would it be a good match with an Audeze EL-8 Closed Back?  I plan on getting those eventually. Would the JH JH13V2 Performance Series and Roxanne be a good match?  I put a DX80 and a new computer on my Christmas list.  My birthday is in mid January so I should be getting both.  Any info on my questions would be very helpful.  Thanks!  Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #5,936 of 6,795

- bloated and exaggerated bass via line out (I tried it via my Naim/KEF system and the results were pretty terrible compared to Pioneer streamer and Naim CD player as source with the same track)

I agree with everything, but i find DX80's bass via line out exaggerated a bit but not bloated at all. Its very nice controlled, thick, perfect quantity of mid-upper bass for dance/dynamic music, so it makes it to sound full of energy/assertiveness.
Maybe you've considered it bloated because of poor interconnect? I feel like it can provide some kind of an impact.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #5,937 of 6,795
I agree with everything, but i find DX80's bass via line out exaggerated a bit but not bloated at all. Its very nice controlled, thick, perfect quantity of mid-upper bass for dance/dynamic music, so it makes it to sound full of energy/assertiveness.
Maybe you've considered it bloated because of poor interconnect? I feel like it can provide some kind of an impact.

I tried it with two interconnects, one very cheap and another decent, and the results were more or less the same (I'm not a big believer in cable esoterics). Have you made direct comparison with another source? To prove my point the similarly priced Fiio X5 II gave much better results via line out.
But I'm more concerned about battery life issue. It seems that its maximum is about 4 hours that is far away from quoted 10-12 hours. Should I return my unit or ask for a replacement?

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #5,938 of 6,795
Should I return my unit or ask for a replacement?

If you read recent posts, you would find out that some early units have a problem with battery. So yes, you'd better contact the dealer or iBasso to replace the battery with a new one.

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #5,939 of 6,795
Have you made direct comparison with another source? To prove my point the similarly priced Fiio X5 II gave much better results via line out.
But I'm more concerned about battery life issue. It seems that its maximum is about 4 hours that is far away from quoted 10-12 hours. Should I return my unit or ask for a replacement?

I've compared with Asus Xonar ST/STX stock and internal Jotunheim's DAC. Yep, both are cheap entry level DACs.
In comparison Xonar has inanimate in-your-face sound with narrower SS, bloated wide less-controlled mid-upper bass (sub-bass punches equally) and not so sharp transients. Sound is not so envolving, feels artificial. Yet this sound card is very popular in its price range.
Jodies DAC sounds thin and cold with sharper highs. Mids sings nicely. Sub-bass hits just like others, but mid-upper bass has much less quantity yet being detailed. 
Dont know about X5's line out, but after a/b'ing it with DX80 i find X5 II to be veiled, less dynamic, less detailed, less musical. DX80 provides more serious listening experience imho.
Cayin N5/I5 is better X5 also, but its like internal Jodies DAC - cold with little mid-upper bass quantity. Still great for classical, fold, ambient.
Take great mids and highs of N5 and add DX80's lows and it'll be Cayin N6. Very nice sound. But man, its awful usability and awkward controls made me not to buy it.  
I want to listen to DX200 as i want to decide whether to exchange my DX80 to it, or stick with my DX80 and add something like Gumby, X-Sabre Pro pro or Holo Spring lvl1. Its all about the $ :)  

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #5,940 of 6,795
Is there any reason why the EQ does not work when you use line out? Is there a technical reason for that I missed?

I've been using this thing for almost a year and unlike a lot of people have almost zero complaints. Battery on mine is fine, scanning was never a problem. I'm using Lurker0's version of the FW and it sounds great. 

I would though like a search function :) Is the source code for the player somewhere to be found?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back