iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Nov 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #5,821 of 6,795
Paul, when new fw will be released?

There are a couple of issues to resolve on the current FW. We will get to this as soon as we have the DX200 FW fully functioning which will be soon.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 12, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #5,823 of 6,795
Good to hear, thanks!

You bet. We are staying very busy and try to get to everyone's needs as fast as possible. It is all about enjoying the music!

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #5,824 of 6,795
I've had the third unit of DX80 within 8 months. The first unit was returned to authorised seller with its failure to boot without plugging to power. The second unit was RMA directly to iBasso due to battery issue. Requested for a new unit, and granted.

But not problem free though. The second microsd slot was not deep enough that the card was protuding and whenever i close the lid, the unit failed to detect the card due to forced insertion that's not fit with the chip reader. i had to play around and sometimes it could read and sometimes it just won't.

i gave up multiple times within those hard times. but i loved the sound. it has very good synergy with my Pinnacle P1. To RMA for the third time isn't an option anymore. I paid hefty amount to return the last unit to China. I could easily put this unit on sale at a very cheap price, but i'm a bit unwilling to let the next owner to feel the bitterness of owning an iBasso product with such quality issue.

i have no other DAP so i'm gonna make do with a single slot functionality. i'm broke and my currency is going downhill with expected worse days in the coming months. having upgraded from DX50, i know iBasso is committed to producing the very best sound with its product. but i've had enough.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #5,825 of 6,795
  I've had the third unit of DX80 within 8 months. The first unit was returned to authorized seller with its failure to boot without plugging to power. The second unit was RMA directly to iBasso due to battery issue. Requested for a new unit, and granted.

But not problem free though. The second microsd slot was not deep enough that the card was protuding and whenever i close the lid, the unit failed to detect the card due to forced insertion that's not fit with the chip reader. i had to play around and sometimes it could read and sometimes it just won't.

i gave up multiple times within those hard times. but i loved the sound. it has very good synergy with my Pinnacle P1. To RMA for the third time isn't an option anymore. I paid hefty amount to return the last unit to China. I could easily put this unit on sale at a very cheap price, but i'm a bit unwilling to let the next owner to feel the bitterness of owning an iBasso product with such quality issue.

i have no other DAP so i'm gonna make do with a single slot functionality. i'm broke and my currency is going downhill with expected worse days in the coming months. having upgraded from DX50, i know iBasso is committed to producing the very best sound with its product. but i've had enough.

Man I feel your pain and I didn't even had a issue with hardware on mine DX90, but mediocre software, up to an 1  hour scanning speed and constant freezing  did it for me . Try Cayin I5 you will not get disappointed, or if you can afford Cowon Plenue M2 and you will be laughing at your past troubles with Ibasso product every time you put a headphones on.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #5,826 of 6,795
Try Cayin I5 you will not get disappointed

I've A/B them and my conclusions are (Cayin compared to DX80):
1) More airy sound
2) Recessed low freqs
3) Less dynamic
4) Less analitycal
5) Better mids - they sign very nice
6) Better musicality 
7) Highs have softer reverberations
Overall DX80 has more in your face, dynamic, forceful sound signature. Rock, EDM, trip/hip-hop - DX80. Folk, classical, ambient, jazz - Cayin.  
Thats my IMHO ofc.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #5,827 of 6,795
  I've A/B them and my conclusions are (Cayin compared to DX80):
1) More airy sound
2) Recessed low freqs
3) Less dynamic
4) Less analitycal
5) Better mids - they sign very nice
6) Better musicality 
7) Highs have softer reverberations
Overall DX80 has more in your face, dynamic, forceful sound signature. Rock, EDM, trip/hip-hop - DX80. Folk, classical, ambient, jazz - Cayin.  
Thats my IMHO ofc.

Yep, the way you described DX80 is my impression of DX90 and exactly that is why I find it''s sound fatiguing after about an hour of listening. And boy mids on I5 are just plain brilliant. Built quality and design, no comparison I5 is light years ahead of Ibasso IMO.

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #5,828 of 6,795
thanks for the suggestions mate. will consider them as DX80 replacement. but till then, gotta make do with what's left.

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #5,829 of 6,795

Man I feel your pain and I didn't even had a issue with hardware on mine DX90, but mediocre software, up to an 1  hour scanning speed and constant freezing  did it for me . Try Cayin I5 you will not get disappointed, or if you can afford Cowon Plenue M2 and you will be laughing at your past troubles with Ibasso product every time you put a headphones on.

That's a good point about the scanning time - it is pretty ridiculous. I have two 128gb cards in my DX80, with a total of about 220gb of data across the two cards. After just making a couple of minor changes to the content on both cards last night, I re-scanned both on the way to work this morning. It took about 45 minutes!

I haven't any issues with the hardware with this DAP, but the software + UI still leaves something to be desired IMO. It's not terrible, so for me it's a worthwhile trade-off for SQ, but some people coming from i-Devices will probably go running back.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #5,830 of 6,795

That's a good point about the scanning time - it is pretty ridiculous. I have two 128gb cards in my DX80, with a total of about 220gb of data across the two cards. After just making a couple of minor changes to the content on both cards last night, I re-scanned both on the way to work this morning. It took about 45 minutes!

I haven't any issues with the hardware with this DAP, but the software + UI still leaves something to be desired IMO. It's not terrible, so for me it's a worthwhile trade-off for SQ, but some people coming from i-Devices will probably go running back.

It would normally depend upon how many files are on the cards. I can scan 2 full 200gb cards with FLAC in about 10 minutes and that is a lot of files. I can scan a 128gb full in about 2 minutes. I would do a factory reset on your DX80 and run a file cleaner on the cards.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #5,831 of 6,795

It would normally depend upon how many files are on the cards. I can scan 2 full 200gb cards with FLAC in about 10 minutes and that is a lot of files. I can scan a 128gb full in about 2 minutes.

OK, that explains it then if it's down to number of files rather than total size of data. I'm using 320 mp3 not FLAC, so I've probably got about 10 times as many files as you to scan. I have fast cards (SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-II), but I guess they still impose physical limitations no matter how the DX80's scanning algorithm is implemented. I was comparing it to the time it used to take to do a full sync on my old iPod Classic (around 5-10 minutes), but there of course it was a hard drive, not micro SD cards, so it's not comparing like for like.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #5,832 of 6,795
On my DX80 scan of a single full (flac) 128GB Samsung card took 8 min. 128 in the second slot, Patriot, took 10 mins. It must depend greatly on the number of files on the card.
This is my first portable player, other than iPod Classic, but so far I am very impressed. For me it is 100% about the sound, I can live with the framework that definitely needs some work.I use DX80 with LDSLabs C5 amp, and Beyerdynamic T5p.2, listening mostly to classical. Adding C5 to the setup made a big difference.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #5,833 of 6,795

OK, that explains it then if it's down to number of files rather than total size of data. I'm using 320 mp3 not FLAC, so I've probably got about 10 times as many files as you to scan. I have fast cards (SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC UHS-II), but I guess they still impose physical limitations no matter how the DX80's scanning algorithm is implemented. I was comparing it to the time it used to take to do a full sync on my old iPod Classic (around 5-10 minutes), but there of course it was a hard drive, not micro SD cards, so it's not comparing like for like.

Well, Cayin I5 scans the same number of files on the same cards and internal memory ( total of 10500 files and 232gb ) in about 5 minutes, while my Cowon PM2 does total of 11000 files and 270gb in 2-3 minutes. I think I figured why my DX90 freezes: if you try to play all, then ultra slow scanning speed of the player just can't process info in order to find the next file and start playing , it just freezes. My Cowon PD was behaving exactly the same when I tried to use 200gb card (number of files well withing the file number limit), which according to Cowon is not supported by PD (supports only up to 128gb. Conclusion is that despite Ibasso's claim that DX90 supports external storage up to 2TB, that claim might be false if you try to use 256gb SDXC card via sd to microsd adapter.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #5,834 of 6,795

Conclusion is that despite Ibasso's claim that DX90 supports external storage up to 2TB, that claim might be false if you try to use 256gb SDXC card via sd to microsd adapter.

Don't mix the media size with the number of files and corresponding local storage required to keep the library. I used both DX80 and DX90 even with 3 (three) TB USB HDD, no problems. The access was done via Directory. So, the claim about 2TB is true!

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #5,835 of 6,795
  Don't mix the media size with the number of files and corresponding local storage required to keep the library. I used both DX80 and DX90 even with 3 (three) TB USB HDD, no problems. The access was done via Directory. So, the claim about 2TB is true!

I don't deny that what you say is true, but if you have a library and options to play all files /songs through library and not just folder option and player can't cope with number of the files or storage size of  the media than for me, it is a flawed device. When I bought mine, clincher deal was support for up to 2TB, but what is the point if you can only use via Directory and not through Library options? Never mind , people should just be aware of this fundamental flaw and if DX80 suffers from the same bug, that only means that Ibasso is either not competent to implement all basic options that have been in other brands players for years, or just does not care. They can't forever use the ticket that their players are cheaper than competition, since competition is on the rise and prices are coming down.
  Anyway , for all of you who enjoy your Ibasso , I am glad you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back