iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Oct 16, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #5,641 of 6,795
  Suffice to say, I'm genuinely impressed with the DX80's sound. It might be a bit early to say, but I think I may very well be ready to ditch Fiio and get on board with iBasso.

I owned the X1 and an E18 before my DX80. Lost the E18 on a plane and was ready to get something a bit more powerful and accurate. I was not disappointed by the DX80, incredibly impressed. It competes well with my Bifrost Multibit / Asgard 2 stack, it's nuts. The dual Cirrus DACs sound really clear and punchy and the amp is really powerful and stable. Can't say the same about Fiio. The DX80 only lacks that last bit of inner detail that the Bifrost has, for me. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5,642 of 6,795
  I owned the X1 and an E18 before my DX80. Lost the E18 on a plane and was ready to get something a bit more powerful and accurate. I was not disappointed by the DX80, incredibly impressed. It competes well with my Bifrost Multibit / Asgard 2 stack, it's nuts. The dual Cirrus DACs sound really clear and punchy and the amp is really powerful and stable. Can't say the same about Fiio. The DX80 only lacks that last bit of inner detail that the Bifrost has, for me. 

Well my first "high end" portable setup was the X5+E12. I then went over to an E18+E12A setup. To me, they sounded pretty damn similar. But I got tired of having to stack 3 devices together (including the phone) and so I decided to start researching on a new DAP.

Initially I was planning on getting the new X1 and pairing it with the E12A. The E12A does improve the sound quite a bit. 

Cost is my final deciding factor...as I could get the new X1 along with the Pinnacle P1 for the same cost as the DX80. But man, the sound of the DX80...the new X1+E12A doesn't even come close.....not even a tiny bit. This is the toughest decision of my life.  

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #5,643 of 6,795
  Good day gents,

So today I received the DX80 for review purposes. 

All I can say is, holy friggen damn. I've been a long time Fiio supporter...but I've gotten tired of how they sell incomplete products. Now, I'm not sure what changes where made (sonically) from the first X5 to the X5ii...but I had the first X5 and I can confidently say that I have on only 1 occasion heard something as exquisite as the DX80.

I've reviewed the X7 (I took part in the world tour) and was horribly disappointed with it (granted that was with the AM1 module), and also the Mojo. The DX80 sounds rather close to the Mojo, to my ears anyways. 

Suffice to say, I'm genuinely impressed with the DX80's sound. It might be a bit early to say, but I think I may very well be ready to ditch Fiio and get on board with iBasso.

I am glad you are enjoying the DX80. We read the comments and try to get the most out of what we make so that people can forget the source and enjoy the music.

I am glad to read you are having fun with music. Music demands little and if we can truly enjoy the good sound life can be good. If we could get more people to listen to music and have world peace we would all be so much more happy and better off.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #5,644 of 6,795

I am glad you are enjoying the DX80. We read the comments and try to get the most out of what we make so that people can forget the source and enjoy the music.
I am glad to read you are having fun with music. Music demands little and if we can truly enjoy the good sound life can be good. If we could get more people to listen to music and have world peace we would all be so much more happy and better off.

In terms of functionality I've got nothing but good things to say about the device. However, I do think it would benefit greatly from a bit of a UI refresh.

But other than that, it's great

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #5,646 of 6,795
Ok, discovered my first issue with the DX80. Every now and then I get this loud popping going on...kind of like what you'd hear on other devices when you remove the headphone jack. 

I can't seem to find a pattern as it doesn't always happen with the same tracks, nor the same card or headphones. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #5,648 of 6,795
  Ok, discovered my first issue with the DX80. Every now and then I get this loud popping going on...kind of like what you'd hear on other devices when you remove the headphone jack. 

I can't seem to find a pattern as it doesn't always happen with the same tracks, nor the same card or headphones. 

It happens between tracks when the format/bitrate/bit depth changes and occasionally when pressing play/pause/skipping tracks and is caused by the way the DAC chips are implemented.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #5,649 of 6,795

It happens between tracks when the format/bitrate/bit depth changes and occasionally when pressing play/pause/skipping tracks and is caused by the way the DAC chips are implemented.

well this happens during playback (while the track is playing)...no interaction on my part

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #5,650 of 6,795
I'm thinking of getting a DAP to feed my home Schiit Valhalla 2.  I've been using my smartphones to-date, but with the recent purchase of the T1-2 and HD800S, I'm looking for something with a higher line-out power.   A few things are stopping me from buying it
  1. DX200 soon to come.  I'm not sure I need that much DAP though since it's just a player for FLAC with line-out
  2. DX80 battery concerns.  I've read online that many people have batteries that die very prematurely.  
  3. Album artist.  I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether or not the DX80 can sort music by album artist.

I'm wondering if anyone is using the DX80 as a line-out to feed a desktop amplifier.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #5,651 of 6,795

well this happens during playback (while the track is playing)...no interaction on my part

Well... Now that's weird. What firmware are you on? The latest?

I remember that some time ago a few members reported this to happen when playing DSD tracks and a few had this happening with normal Hi-Res and redbook tracks, too. It turned out that that it was caused by the used micro SD card and disappeared using another.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #5,653 of 6,795

Well... Now that's weird. What firmware are you on? The latest?

I remember that some time ago a few members reported this to happen when playing DSD tracks and a few had this happening with normal Hi-Res and redbook tracks, too. It turned out that that it was caused by the used micro SD card and disappeared using another.

thanks for the reply. I'm on the latest firmware. I've got a few cards, but can't pinpoint it to a single card. It usually happens after quite a long time of listening, so is difficult to tell if it is indeed a specific card. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back