iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Oct 13, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #5,626 of 6,795
  I'm interested in your experiences of how the DX80 pairs with Bowers & Wilkins P7 Over Ear Headphones, without headphone amp.

I currently listen to FLACs ripped from CDs, mainly rock/pop etc., at average level 100 / high gain, no EQ, on the DX80, using Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/b767de981f8a20dc/).  I really like the airy, detailed, nicely separated sound of the ATH-AD900 and it has great clarity at the top end.  It's not known for its bass though, and although I am far from a bass head I would like to hear the notes better and perhaps with a bit more 'punch' than the ATH-AD900s.  I'm 58, so my ears aren't what they were but I think I can still distinguish between decent sound quality and not. 
rolleyes.gif

So, much research has led me to the P7.  I really don't want to mess with headphone amps so some good headphones will have fallen by the wayside on that basis.  The quoted impedance (from manufacturer website) of the ATH-AD900 is 35ohms and its sensitivity is quoted at 100 dB/mW.  The P7 (same source) is 22ohms / 111dB/V at 1kHz.  Not sure, but does this mean the P7 would sound louder at the same volume level number on the DX80?

So, if the P7 gave me a nice smooth sound from the DX80, with improved bass and at least parity on everything else versus the ATH-AD900 then I will be sorely tempted.

I know that you can buy P7's direct on 60 days 'sale or return' here in UK but I'd still appreciate personal experiences of the combination with unamped DX80.

Thank you!

I use mine with my ATH-MSR7, if you like a lot of bass well they are not the headphones for you.
If you like "Clarity" and good separation well try the MSR7 monitor headphones.
I use a amp(C&C BH2)
with my &  ATH-Ad900 + DX50.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #5,627 of 6,795
  I'm interested in your experiences of how the DX80 pairs with Bowers & Wilkins P7 Over Ear Headphones, without headphone amp.

I currently listen to FLACs ripped from CDs, mainly rock/pop etc., at average level 100 / high gain, no EQ, on the DX80, using Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/b767de981f8a20dc/).  I really like the airy, detailed, nicely separated sound of the ATH-AD900 and it has great clarity at the top end.  It's not known for its bass though, and although I am far from a bass head I would like to hear the notes better and perhaps with a bit more 'punch' than the ATH-AD900s.  I'm 58, so my ears aren't what they were but I think I can still distinguish between decent sound quality and not. 
rolleyes.gif

So, much research has led me to the P7.  I really don't want to mess with headphone amps so some good headphones will have fallen by the wayside on that basis.  The quoted impedance (from manufacturer website) of the ATH-AD900 is 35ohms and its sensitivity is quoted at 100 dB/mW.  The P7 (same source) is 22ohms / 111dB/V at 1kHz.  Not sure, but does this mean the P7 would sound louder at the same volume level number on the DX80?

So, if the P7 gave me a nice smooth sound from the DX80, with improved bass and at least parity on everything else versus the ATH-AD900 then I will be sorely tempted.

I know that you can buy P7's direct on 60 days 'sale or return' here in UK but I'd still appreciate personal experiences of the combination with unamped DX80.

Thank you!

I use my DX80 with my Oppo PM-3's and it is absolutely phenomenal IMO. If you're looking for deep, articulate bass with decent treble performance (it's not sparkly and super clear like the ATH-AD900, but it's decent and a bit rolled off which is good for my tinnitus) it's a great contender. I usually run the DX80 at 115 on it and I really do love it. Highly recommend it with the DX80.

I think another incredible option is the new Focal Listen. This line of headphones is supposed to be insanely dynamic.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #5,633 of 6,795
Thank you! :)

I wish I had done it but it would be great to document the [in general] perceived different sound signatures
for example - I found 1.3.3 to be fairly flat and neutral . . . 

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #5,634 of 6,795

The wired P7 's are the phones I use with the DX80 on a daily basis and I personally find them pretty good however I must stress I have not really compared them to anything else as I do not own any other headphones apart from a PortaPro which are way cheaper so are bound not to sound so refined.
I bought the DX80 and the P7's at around the same time and both needed proper burn in time so at first they did not impress me that much but I could hear the improvement from one day to the next.
Like yourself I did a lot of research and the P7' s stood out and I was also looking for something with no sound leakage which I can assure you they are excellent at.
Was also after something that would keep aircraft noise when flying to a minimun, here they are not as good but still do a decent job.
Soundwise I find them very good, the treble is very delicate and not over the top, they are not bass heavy however if the bass is there it will come out.
I do not use an external amp and I usually listen mainly to rock or blues at at between 85 to 100 volume.
Ones I bought were recertified  and looked brand new however they are now even cheaper since they brought out the wireless version out.
As you know you can send them back after a trial if you are not happy with them so you really have nothing to lose.
If you are after any more info feel free to ask.

what headphones do you prefer to listen Dx80?

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #5,636 of 6,795
Guys, which one is better? Insert all of song into micro SD or separate it by artist and/or album folder?

I would go completely insane if my music wasn't separated into folders by artist and album.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #5,639 of 6,795
Okay we can organize our library with Windows features like sort by... or group by... or even in dx80 even if it's not 100% correct, but what if your has so many folder on memory card could it gone slow scanning and affect playback?

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #5,640 of 6,795
Good day gents,

So today I received the DX80 for review purposes. 

All I can say is, holy friggen damn. I've been a long time Fiio supporter...but I've gotten tired of how they sell incomplete products. Now, I'm not sure what changes where made (sonically) from the first X5 to the X5ii...but I had the first X5 and I can confidently say that I have on only 1 occasion heard something as exquisite as the DX80.

I've reviewed the X7 (I took part in the world tour) and was horribly disappointed with it (granted that was with the AM1 module), and also the Mojo. The DX80 sounds rather close to the Mojo, to my ears anyways. 

Suffice to say, I'm genuinely impressed with the DX80's sound. It might be a bit early to say, but I think I may very well be ready to ditch Fiio and get on board with iBasso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back