iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Oct 11, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #5,614 of 6,795
  friends, what headphones will be best for Dx80?

rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #5,619 of 6,795
Hi guys
I rma my unit last month due to battery failure and was promptly replaced. Everything was fine with the new batt until today where I notice my screen flickers.
Anyone experience this before?

You can try the Batch Tool on the first page to reload the FW. If that doesn't work then I would ask you to send the DX80 to us and we will repair it.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 11, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #5,620 of 6,795
Hi guys, can you please give me an advice?
what do you think is better combo in therms of sound quality and better matching with these IEMs? Maybe price too?

AK jr.(279 Euro) + ATH-IM03(249 Euro)   or   DX80(340 Euro + MicroSD cca 30 Euro)  + ATH-IM03(249 Euro)

I like the form factor of AK Jr.(+ internal storage, price), but I dont really know, maybe pairing that IEMs will be better with dx80

Thanks a lot...

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #5,621 of 6,795
Reporting back on the resolution of my dx80 issues - defective battery and sd2 slot.  Received my repaired unit today.  My experience with iBasso customer service was excellent.  They responded to my requests promptly.  They repaired my unit and sent it back in about 3 days.  And everything is resolved based on my expectations.  BTW, I really like the new FM.  

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #5,622 of 6,795
  Reporting back on the resolution of my dx80 issues - defective battery and sd2 slot.  Received my repaired unit today.  My experience with iBasso customer service was excellent.  They responded to my requests promptly.  They repaired my unit and sent it back in about 3 days.  And everything is resolved based on my expectations.  BTW, I really like the new FM.  

it was a warranty repair? or paid?

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #5,624 of 6,795
I'm interested in your experiences of how the DX80 pairs with Bowers & Wilkins P7 Over Ear Headphones, without headphone amp.

I currently listen to FLACs ripped from CDs, mainly rock/pop etc., at average level 100 / high gain, no EQ, on the DX80, using Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/b767de981f8a20dc/).  I really like the airy, detailed, nicely separated sound of the ATH-AD900 and it has great clarity at the top end.  It's not known for its bass though, and although I am far from a bass head I would like to hear the notes better and perhaps with a bit more 'punch' than the ATH-AD900s.  I'm 58, so my ears aren't what they were but I think I can still distinguish between decent sound quality and not. 
rolleyes.gif

So, much research has led me to the P7.  I really don't want to mess with headphone amps so some good headphones will have fallen by the wayside on that basis.  The quoted impedance (from manufacturer website) of the ATH-AD900 is 35ohms and its sensitivity is quoted at 100 dB/mW.  The P7 (same source) is 22ohms / 111dB/V at 1kHz.  Not sure, but does this mean the P7 would sound louder at the same volume level number on the DX80?

So, if the P7 gave me a nice smooth sound from the DX80, with improved bass and at least parity on everything else versus the ATH-AD900 then I will be sorely tempted.

I know that you can buy P7's direct on 60 days 'sale or return' here in UK but I'd still appreciate personal experiences of the combination with unamped DX80.

Thank you!

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #5,625 of 6,795
  I'm interested in your experiences of how the DX80 pairs with Bowers & Wilkins P7 Over Ear Headphones, without headphone amp.

I currently listen to FLACs ripped from CDs, mainly rock/pop etc., at average level 100 / high gain, no EQ, on the DX80, using Audio Technica ATH-AD900 (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/b767de981f8a20dc/).  I really like the airy, detailed, nicely separated sound of the ATH-AD900 and it has great clarity at the top end.  It's not known for its bass though, and although I am far from a bass head I would like to hear the notes better and perhaps with a bit more 'punch' than the ATH-AD900s.  I'm 58, so my ears aren't what they were but I think I can still distinguish between decent sound quality and not. 
rolleyes.gif

So, much research has led me to the P7.  I really don't want to mess with headphone amps so some good headphones will have fallen by the wayside on that basis.  The quoted impedance (from manufacturer website) of the ATH-AD900 is 35ohms and its sensitivity is quoted at 100 dB/mW.  The P7 (same source) is 22ohms / 111dB/V at 1kHz.  Not sure, but does this mean the P7 would sound louder at the same volume level number on the DX80?

So, if the P7 gave me a nice smooth sound from the DX80, with improved bass and at least parity on everything else versus the ATH-AD900 then I will be sorely tempted.

I know that you can buy P7's direct on 60 days 'sale or return' here in UK but I'd still appreciate personal experiences of the combination with unamped DX80.

Thank you!

The wired P7 's are the phones I use with the DX80 on a daily basis and I personally find them pretty good however I must stress I have not really compared them to anything else as I do not own any other headphones apart from a PortaPro which are way cheaper so are bound not to sound so refined.
I bought the DX80 and the P7's at around the same time and both needed proper burn in time so at first they did not impress me that much but I could hear the improvement from one day to the next.
Like yourself I did a lot of research and the P7' s stood out and I was also looking for something with no sound leakage which I can assure you they are excellent at.
Was also after something that would keep aircraft noise when flying to a minimun, here they are not as good but still do a decent job.
Soundwise I find them very good, the treble is very delicate and not over the top, they are not bass heavy however if the bass is there it will come out.
I do not use an external amp and I usually listen mainly to rock or blues at at between 85 to 100 volume.
Ones I bought were recertified  and looked brand new however they are now even cheaper since they brought out the wireless version out.
As you know you can send them back after a trial if you are not happy with them so you really have nothing to lose.
If you are after any more info feel free to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back