iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Oct 6, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #5,597 of 6,795
  In my opinion FW v. 1.3.3 is the best (again, for me). It's vibrant, bassy, detalic. Using Lukers modified 1.3.3 L2 version.

Why not L3?

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #5,599 of 6,795
Oct 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #5,601 of 6,795
canadaguy11 - where did you send it for the warranty service and are they aware you are not a lone instance for thse problems?

I'm having same exact issues with battery life and sd slot. Fully charged unit went from 100% to 23% during use on 3 hour flight (with unit settings optimized for best battery life).

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #5,602 of 6,795
Just after some advice really? I've had my DX80 for a couple of months, and upgraded from a DX50.
I used the DX50 mostly with a FiiO e12a amp.

Here's my problems (I like to see them as challenges lol)

I have always loved the concept of listening to anything on whatever device - clean - no EQ etc. In practice, so many of my albums are mastered different, often with weak bass for example. There are a few examples - John Mayer Born & Raised, Hotel California DSD, where they sound pretty good with zero EQ. They are really the exceptions.

Listening to DSD on the DX80 disables the EQ. In comes my external e12a amp, so at least then I can get some bass boost/hi gain via the amp, using the DX80 line out.
Problem is, unlike the DX50, the Line out level cannot be changed. That leads to harshness, perhaps in the impedance matching between the 2?
As I say, with the DX50, tweaking the lineout level helped a lot.

My solution so far.... hardly ideal (and mostly not recommended eh double amping etc) connect the amp to the headphone out. It sounds....surprisingly good... I can adjust the level, use EQ (for PCM content at least), and the 2 devices work better together, I can also use HiGain output.

Also, without an amp.... the huge separation left/right (perhaps the 2 DAC's??) is tiring to listen to imho.... the channels are *so* separated, that some kind of crossfeed would've been welcome... using a separate amp seems to help that a little, so I guess I'm pro using the separate amp.

Possible solutions?
(1) Get a better impedance matched amp?
(2) Stop using an amp - the headphone out and internal DX80 amp is fine! (yeah well, the amp really does add something, and without it *some* DSD sounds weak)
(3) Get different/better headphones that match the DSD sound
(4) Stop moaning about it and get on with it (tempting, obviously)

waddyou guys think?

I actually *love* the DX80 (sorry if that didn't come across)

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #5,603 of 6,795
Other one here with battery draining issue (5,6h real life use with little screen time) here waiting for my spanish distributor to send it to China for repair. 

I guess I am not very lucky with iBasso products (I had a DX90 with the infamous fade in-out random errors).

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #5,604 of 6,795
  Just after some advice really? I've had my DX80 for a couple of months, and upgraded from a DX50.
I used the DX50 mostly with a FiiO e12a amp.

Here's my problems (I like to see them as challenges lol)

I have always loved the concept of listening to anything on whatever device - clean - no EQ etc. In practice, so many of my albums are mastered different, often with weak bass for example. There are a few examples - John Mayer Born & Raised, Hotel California DSD, where they sound pretty good with zero EQ. They are really the exceptions.

Listening to DSD on the DX80 disables the EQ. In comes my external e12a amp, so at least then I can get some bass boost/hi gain via the amp, using the DX80 line out.
Problem is, unlike the DX50, the Line out level cannot be changed. That leads to harshness, perhaps in the impedance matching between the 2?
As I say, with the DX50, tweaking the lineout level helped a lot.

My solution so far.... hardly ideal (and mostly not recommended eh double amping etc) connect the amp to the headphone out. It sounds....surprisingly good... I can adjust the level, use EQ (for PCM content at least), and the 2 devices work better together, I can also use HiGain output.

Also, without an amp.... the huge separation left/right (perhaps the 2 DAC's??) is tiring to listen to imho.... the channels are *so* separated, that some kind of crossfeed would've been welcome... using a separate amp seems to help that a little, so I guess I'm pro using the separate amp.

Possible solutions?
(1) Get a better impedance matched amp?
(2) Stop using an amp - the headphone out and internal DX80 amp is fine! (yeah well, the amp really does add something, and without it *some* DSD sounds weak)
(3) Get different/better headphones that match the DSD sound
(4) Stop moaning about it and get on with it (tempting, obviously)

waddyou guys think?

I actually *love* the DX80 (sorry if that didn't come across)

You've basically arrived at the 'problem' of having a DAP that is a superb quality and as such your music sources are revealed exactly as what they are!
Sounds to me like the weak section in your audio chain is the headphones - depending on which headphones I use I can enjoy crystal clear bright highs or thumping  floorboard breaking low end 
What headphones do you use?
. . . would be the next question

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #5,605 of 6,795
Alternating between B&O play H2, Koss PortaPro and Soundmagic E10's. I guess I can't find a headphone that works well with all types of music, all Loudnesses, and DSD. Being able to use EQ helps that massively I feel. I loved my old 1st Gen FiiO X3 purely because it had h/w bass/treble :frowning2:

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #5,606 of 6,795
I'm on 1.5.8 and I realised that the DX80 does something funny to the queue of songs to be played when I turn it off in the middle of an album and turn it on again.

After a few tries, I went to the Now Playing option after turning on in the middle of the album and saw that the player organises the Now Playing playlist alphabetically instead of by album track number after a reboot.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #5,607 of 6,795
I'm on 1.5.8 and I realised that the DX80 does something funny to the queue of songs to be played when I turn it off in the middle of an album and turn it on again.

After a few tries, I went to the Now Playing option after turning on in the middle of the album and saw that the player organises the Now Playing playlist alphabetically instead of by album track number after a reboot.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Everybody. It is a known bug that I hope will be corrected by iBasso on next FW.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #5,609 of 6,795
  canadaguy11 - where did you send it for the warranty service and are they aware you are not a lone instance for thse problems?

I'm having same exact issues with battery life and sd slot. Fully charged unit went from 100% to 23% during use on 3 hour flight (with unit settings optimized for best battery life).

I contacted iBasso directly through their website and explained the problems and that I have only had it since January.  They replied promptly and gave me instructions to send it back to China for repair.  Once they received it, the repairs were completed in about 3 day and it is on it's way back now (should arrive tomorrow based on tracking information).  Once I receive it, I can give you an update on whether the issues have been fully resolved.

Good luck

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #5,610 of 6,795

I contacted iBasso directly through their website and explained the problems and that I have only had it since January.  They replied promptly and gave me instructions to send it back to China for repair.  Once they received it, the repairs were completed in about 3 day and it is on it's way back now (should arrive tomorrow based on tracking information).  Once I receive it, I can give you an update on whether the issues have been fully resolved.

Good luck

great job. good to hear ibasso is fixing it quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back