iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Aug 10, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #5,252 of 6,795
Ok, just updated to 1.5.2 ! First bad thing that pop out is that the player is playing tracks not by folder list, but by filename order... Meh :) 

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #5,254 of 6,795
  Anyone try the DX80 with the EL-8's???

I just got a pair of EL-8ti's and the first thing I did was listen to them directly out of my DX80. Sounded almost anemic out of them despite having plenty of headroom. I switched to line out and used my Cayin C5 (no bass boost) and it was a night and day difference. Much more lush sounding with nice tight controlled bass.

Did you listen to EL-8 with any other sources?  I have EL-8C and what you referring to is their sound signature, not the shortfall of DX80.  I'm running now the latest 1.5.6 beta, and besides everything being rock solid (and no issues with track skipping within folder view of the album, as someone else mentioned with older fw), I'm also VERY impressed with a change in transparency and resolution of the sound.  With so many reviews and testing i have been involved in lately, DX80 took a little break and I haven't updated it in awhile until now.  Already forgot which fw I had loaded before, but did a quick listening before and after the update to 1.5.6 and there is definitely a noticeable improvement in sound quality (perhaps the same as it was in 1.5.2).

But my point, DX80 is not coloring the sound as much, so what you hearing with EL-8 (closed or open?) is the actual sound of those cans.  Maybe try switching to high gain, it can add a little more energy to the sound.  Adding C5 amp to LO just bypasses DX80 internal amp and adds Cayin coloring to the sound, and make no mistake - C5 does add coloring.  ELs are thin and cold and analytical and do have some metallic sheen in upper frequencies, this is by nature of their tuning.  You just need to find the right source for a better synergy, and sounds like DX80+C5 hits the nail on the head :)  If you try DX80+D14 or DX80+E12A - it will still sound anemic
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #5,255 of 6,795
  Paul - iBasso

Thanx Paul ! And thank you guys for a really nice product ! Got my DX80 today :wink:

My DAP Endgame ! My wallet hopes... :D

this is just the beginning of your headfi journey
redface.gif
  with no foreseeable endgame

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #5,256 of 6,795
Aug 10, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,261 of 6,795
  twister6

Yeah, I can see "Wind 9" adding DX200 in front of that lineup 
biggrin.gif

Actually DX200 really got my attention... :D  All i really want now, are the DT-1770's...

So you are russian ? :D 

Take baby steps.  You already got DX80, move up to DX120, and then into DX200
wink.gif
  And while you at it, wait for the next full size headphones release from iBasso too, keep it all in the family.  Based on what I'm hearing from their upcoming IT03 hybrid, they really do know what they are doing!

And, yes to your other question
biggrin.gif
  Was even wondering if you originally meant it as OBLAKO 9 (cloud 9) instead of "wind 9".

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #5,262 of 6,795
twister6
 And, yes to your other question 
biggrin.gif
  Was even wondering if you originally meant it as OBLAKO 9 (cloud 9) instead of "wind 9".

Its "Wind 9 " :D 

Based on what I'm hearing from their upcoming IT03 hybrid, they really do know what they are doing!

Its a shame that due to my ear canal structure i can't use IEM's :frowning2:  The only ones i can use is OSTRY KC08t or Bose Sound Sport (they don't go inside my ear canal) So i'm pretty much limited to on-ear stuff. :) 
BTW, only i think that the DX80 sounds pretty damn close to AK240 ? 

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #5,263 of 6,795
Hi Guys
New here and first post so forgive me if I break any rules..
Please also forgive me as I am converting over from iTunes and a 7th gen iPod.

First of all great forum. After reading here for 2 days I am now ready to jump into my first (real) DAP. I think the DX80 is going to fit the bill perfect for me to get my feet wet. 
I will be ordering this bad boy in the next few days and currently looking for some solid advise on a good set of headphones and new music system.. 
Right now I am seriously leaning towards the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x. 

To help you recommend properly. A little about me.. Am I an audiophile? Absolutely.. The first business I started in 1990 was a car audio business. Car audio took a while to sort out the players but I found them and my early 90's home system was always NAD. 
I am a pureist, no doubt. I prefer my music to sound as close to the way the artist recorded it as possible. 

As for software. Here I am at a complete loss as what to do.. Transferring my ALAC files from iTunes to a storage folder to put on a SD card I am going to assume is going to be a pain in my arse.. 
All help here is extremely welcome.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry I forgot.. I am trying to stay in $300 to $500 range for the headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back