iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Apr 23, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #4,021 of 6,795
We are trying to figure out why for some and not for others. The DX80s are all the same in parts and the parts we use are not cheap ones.

We are working on a new update now.

I think it's not easy to find out,it could be related to HW (cards), tagging,files, or files in folder, that may contain not only music files but also .log files, subfolders with art scans, etc

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #4,022 of 6,795
  Well its been 2 days since my fiasco the other night and the player has been working with ZERO problems. Scanning, playing.... everything is fine. This is absolutely the weirdest thing I have ever encountered with a piece of electronic equipment before.
  @paul, is it possible that there is a part inside this player that after being used for extended periods, is causing the values to drift, therefore glitching the software? I am just trying to figure out why some players work and others dont. Seems if it was just the software then all the units would be defective. Would there be anything is this new firmware that is stressing components more than the previous firmware? All speculation of course but just trying to wrap my head around this.
Bottom line is my DX80 is playing fine so I will enjoy it while it lasts!
smily_headphones1.gif

Having the very same thought. Sometimes i have my gapless working flawlessly and sometimes it just clips the final 3-5secs and goes to the next track. It tends to behave correctly on early tracks after powering it on and later it lost its charms.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #4,027 of 6,795
Having to go back to 1.3.3. after a week of reformatting cards, reloading music, removing artists marked as null etc.  Two Sandisk cards x 128GB each.  Either card will not scan all the way through, but did on 1.3.3.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #4,029 of 6,795
anyone tried pairing the DX80 with the OPPO PM3?????

i like some feedback before i go hunt for the OPPO PM3

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #4,030 of 6,795
  anyone tried pairing the DX80 with the OPPO PM3?????

i like some feedback before i go hunt for the OPPO PM3

Yes! - Match made in Heaven :)
If you have any specific questions or perhaps better say what your personal sonic preferences are ie: bright/dark/warm/detailed etc etc

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #4,031 of 6,795
Scanning Issues:  [If you go through each folder one by one everything will be scanned succesfully!]
Maybe useful if you don't want to go back to fw 1.3! ?

fw 1.4 (Lurker)

2x sandisk ultra 12bgb
CD-16/44 Flac  

Vinyl Rip - 24/96 (Flac setting 5) & 24/192

DSD - 64 & 128

As an experiment I decided to go through every album on both cards to see which ones din not scan (you can tell because the device scans quickly when you play the 1st song)

Interestingly, even though the scans would stop before completing a scan - there was only 1 or 2 albums on card 1 that had not been scanned.
Card 1 contains only Vinyl rips / DSD
However on card 2 about 1/3rd of albums had not been scanned and most of the failed scanned files were CD ripped 16/44

Also, during the process, sometimes whne pressing the songs would play very fast, missing the begining. I also had an old issue of loud clicks and on some of the the vinyl rips - almost as if the device hears a click and really amplifies it.

It seemed like the player doesn't like having to think about too many things at once or getting into a backlog of commands from the user (i was going to an album, pressing play, sotpping, then immediately going to the next album)

On another note I haven't personally found the scanning to be noticably that much quicker but maybe because i felt it was reasonable to expect to wait a while to scan through 2x 128gb !

On a posative note - Now ALL folders have been scanned and even some of the DSD files now longer show up as Null. Everything has now been scanned and is accepted

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #4,032 of 6,795
i'm currently using the DX80 with AKG K550 and Hifiman HE400 (old version)... it doesnt seem good with the Focal Spirit One

any idea how the PM3 will compare to the K550 and HE400.

I like detailed, warm sounding.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #4,033 of 6,795
  i'm currently using the DX80 with AKG K550 and Hifiman HE400 (old version)... it doesnt seem good with the Focal Spirit One

any idea how the PM3 will compare to the K550 and HE400.

I like detailed, warm sounding.

I used to own the 550 but haven't heard HE400
If you like warm and detailed there is a VERY good chance you will love the PM3's
Personally I find them to a very mature headphone - By that I mean, if you enjoy sitting down, relaxing and listening sometimes to music and sometimes to the audio then they are great for that. My respect for them has grown enormously after spending time really listening with them. They are neutral & nothing jumps out so for that reason they encourage one to listen to the music and yet they is more than enough detail to enjoy the music as an Audiophile!
Ive been listening to AKG 712 for the last few days which are detail monsters and playing the PM3's now they do sound a bit 'muffled' [in comparison] although everything is very well presented. HAving said that, listening now to Dick Gaugin (dont judge me :) - they sound just perfectly balanced, so beautifully natural.
The soundstage is not huge but again this along with all aspects of these cans encourages you to enjoy the music rather than be distracted by booming bass or crystal highs or instruments sounding like they are being played down the street.
For ilsolation, comfort they are divine. They really feel like a well made product that makes you feel a sense of gratitude to own them and handle them! I flew with them from UK to USA and used them the whole flight with no discomfort or problems
Im guessing here, but they have qualities of both headphone you mentioned...but better :)
You could always buy them from someone who accepts returns? + If you hate them they have a very good resale value right now.
I fell fairly to very confident in saying you will love them based on your previous cans + sound preference
One word of 'warning' though - It was only after 250 hours burn in / use that they really settled down and balanced out
They a beautiful set of headphones and for closed back are phenominal. As i say I feel they may be for a more mature or more experienced listener in that it may not be immediately obvious just how well they are balanced and tuned
hope that helps :)
Im not sure if the pleather cups may be a bit too warm in hot countries?

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #4,034 of 6,795
thank u for sharing your experience. i will try to see if i'm able to test it out in stores here... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back