iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Apr 19, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #3,977 of 6,795
I think I just figured out how to play through folders. I did a long press on an artist name and the screen came up where you can select play, trash or playlist. So I hit play and it loaded all the tracks by that artist in the folder. I tried it a few times and it's working fine. When I went to the main screen to see how many songs were available and it read 133. I tried random and that works too. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #3,981 of 6,795
With 1.4 I ran into a scanning issue that didn't exist for me in 1.33. I'm using the exact same two cards that I've been using in the DX80 since I purchased it at the beginning of November. I've not added or updated any of the files on either card since upgrading to 1.4. That said, after I upgraded the firmware I had it scan both cards. It didn't take long, but it did reboot at the end. I didn't think much of it at the time. Later when I was browsing by artist I noticed artists were missing and I had a "null" artist at the top of the list. I went back in and scanned the cards again. Reboot. Same issue. 

Then I decided to keep the screen on and scan each card independently. 

Card 1: 128 GB Sandisk, 16.9 GB free - scanned to 97%, then rebooted, no null artists
Card 2: 128 GB Samsung, 25 GB free - scanned to 100% without errors, yet there is a null artist 

I then moved onto Lurker's 1.4 with the same results. Which I expected as I'm fairly certain there aren't any differences in the firmware that would cause or fix the scanning issue.

The null artist was tied to just 3 songs from a CD and after reviewing the tags I couldn't find anything out of sorts. I've since re-tagged the files but don't see how there could be any connection as that card scanned successfully. 

On both cards the files are almost all FLAC with a few AIFF tossed in. I honestly don't recall how the cards were originally formatted and it's possible I formatted them on my Macbook at some point. Or one on the Macbook and one in Windows. Although they've been working previously. I update the firmware using the recovery method. 

I'm not sure if this provides any insight or not, but at this point I can recreate the scanning issue on that card consistently. It's not a huge deal to me as I'm about to get a couple of new cards and redo my entire mobile library anyway. But perhaps the information will help. 

Regarding the sound of 1.4, no qualms here at all. Admittedly I haven't spent all that much time with it yet but so far it sounds great to my ears. And the back menu in Artists is working as expected. For me that was a huge deal and the initial implementation was very frustrating. Even more so for me than the gapless playback issue on the DX90. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #3,982 of 6,795
The plot thickens. On a whim I decided to swap the cards around and rescan. As expected, the card that was originally in slot 1, when placed in slot 2, got to 97% and the DX80 rebooted. However, now that card has a "null" artist. While it's not the same artist or CD as before, it is 3 songs. It may be a coincidence but those are the next three songs that followed the one I was listening to previously. I had rebooted since though. And I was not scanning while listening. I re-scanned right from a boot. Maybe I'll have to spend a bit more time on this as now I'm intrigued...

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #3,983 of 6,795
EQ is bypassed using line out and digital out. Only engaged using headphone out.
?! Say it ain't so !?

If I stream to an external DAC from my phone over OTG USB, or from my Cowon D3 over spdif coax, in both cases the player's EQ is active. I just assumed it would be the same here.

This really changes things for me. I'm unabashedly pro EQ. No dsp preprocessing before the spdif out is kinda shocking. I was sure I'd be getting this player; but now pretty sure I wont.

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #3,986 of 6,795
  Just installed new firmware with the factory tools and everything is working fine. It sounds really nice. Just one thing, could someone confirm me that eq don't work when you're plugged in on line out with an ampli?

I think EQ only works for headphone out  with 16/44.1 only, and not for Hi-Res (DSD, 24/48/88.2/96 above).  No matter how to adjust the EQ, I cannot tolerate the sound distortion ( maybe colored sound)  because of EQ. EQ is useless for me because sound is not real.

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #3,988 of 6,795

I think EQ only works for headphone out  with 16/44.1 only, and not for Hi-Res (DSD, 24/48/88.2/96 above).  No matter how to adjust the EQ, I cannot tolerate the sound distortion ( maybe colored sound)  because of EQ. EQ is useless for me because sound is not real.

I only listen Hi-Res (DSD, 24/48/88.2/96 above) only, no 16/44.1 and below. I think EQ does not make any sense to me.
I installed 1.4.0 firmware, re-scan, no issue so far.  SD cards : Sandisk 200GB + 128GB  FAT32 .
Please check below if you have issues.
1. check your SD cards.
2. format SD cards FAT32.
3. Tag music files correctly.
4. reset.
5. Re-scan.
6. Any issues, get DX80 replacement.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,989 of 6,795
  I have tried the three ways of installing the firmware loads of time and always the same result ( yes I have done it also with the factory tools and Lurkers way on page1).
Have also tried two different sized sd cards and same results.
Shall wait till there is an update, and by the way Paul @ Ibasso I still have that video showing what is happening if you are interested.

have you tried on different usb port of your PC? Might sounds weird, but i had the same problem with my second unit on my very first time trying to upgrade the FW fresh out of box; neither through sd card nor factory tool, even after i reformat the card. Changed to another port and voila. It took only one try through factory tool.

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3,990 of 6,795
Thanks srewedpeep for the suggestion, you probably did not go to my earlier posts regarding the firmware upgrade so I can see where you are coming from.
My firmware is upgrading fine, its the Custom EQ that does not function anymore after the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back