iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Apr 18, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #3,931 of 6,795
Mine is working fine now. I have a 128gb mSD formated to FAT32 and another 128gb in exFAT both filled and always scanned in there entirety with no issues. The other day I was having issues with it going to All Music then forwarding and now no such issues.

So what worked for me is, I loaded new fw then did a factory reset scanned both cards which took about 15 minutes and even checked on it a few times, then played a song tried FFW and it went to null screen. I went back to all music picked a song let it play for about 10 seconds pressed pause shut the player down for about a minute then turned on wait tell it finishes booting all the way up and it should be on the song that was paused I pressed play then went to the next song with no issues and has been working good ever since.

This fixed the problem for me as well, somehow. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #3,932 of 6,795
Mine is working fine now. I have a 128gb mSD formated to FAT32 and another 128gb in exFAT both filled and always scanned in there entirety with no issues. The other day I was having issues with it going to All Music then forwarding and now no such issues.

So what worked for me is, I loaded new fw then did a factory reset scanned both cards which took about 15 minutes and even checked on it a few times, then played a song tried FFW and it went to null screen. I went back to all music picked a song let it play for about 10 seconds pressed pause shut the player down for about a minute then turned on wait tell it finishes booting all the way up and it should be on the song that was paused I pressed play then went to the next song with no issues and has been working good ever since.

Worked for me as well.... I wonder how you came up with this...

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #3,933 of 6,795
assume
New FW works fine for me. Only anomaly was that I experienced a pop-glitch-systemCrash! while trying to play a song as it rescanned the library in the background. I did the factory reset then let it scan without impatiently pushing it--no problems. The custom EQ settings also remain after I set them, switch EQ modes, turn EQ off and on, then switch back to custom.

.... and I jinxed it. Added a bunch more FLACs to one of my cards, and now it crashes whenever I scan that card, about 42% of the way through the scan, every time. The newly-added files are on the card (I can play them from folders, in that view), but they don't scan into the library. I assume the DX80 has some library index that is corrupted and stuck in the "old" version--before I added more files. When it tries to rescan, it encounters something unexpected at 42%, and crash.

Still no problems with fast-forward or EQ.... Patience, Grasshopper, I'm sure they will top working soon enough.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,935 of 6,795
  For me, it switches to the next random track.

But I have less than 1500 hi-res tracks on 128GB+32GB. Also, I patiently waited for media scan to complete, if it matters.

I have 6700 plus tracks, mostly hi-res or flac cd rips and it works as it should. One thing I find unusual though is it only shuffles forward. 
If you skip tracks backwards it plays the previous track in the folder from the now playing song. IMHO it should shuffle both ways.
Ideally I would love to have bookmarking capability to save a playlist and just pick up where I left off.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,937 of 6,795
I got mine a little over a week ago and I'm really loving the DX80 so far, it's a definite step above the iPod classic that it's replacing. Still having a few issues though, mostly just album art with certain albums not showing up no matter how many times I re-embed the .jpg or use a different file. All my files are meticulously tagged (down to the publisher and individual composer credits) and all my tracks have hi-quality art embedded (usually 1000x1000 .jpgs) but it's a crapshoot whether or not the art will show up, about 80% of it does though. The EQ is a little buggy too, sliders moving around randomly or the EQ settings resetting when I leave the screen. I've got good headphones though and I like their sound so I haven't really bothered with it. The battery could last longer, but it's fine for how I'm using it.

But holy hell I wish that it sorted artists by the 'album artist' tag rather than the 'artist' tag. It's driving me mad, I've got a bunch of compilations, split LPs and whatnot, and it's really annoying to not have them sort by album artist. I guess it's browsing by directory for me.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #3,938 of 6,795
  But holy hell I wish that it sorted artists by the 'album artist' tag rather than the 'artist' tag. It's driving me mad, I've got a bunch of compilations, split LPs and whatnot, and it's really annoying to not have them sort by album artist. I guess it's browsing by directory for me.

Agreed, this needs to be an option in future firmware. I only had a couple of albums with this problem so I just changed the formatting on them to be the same for an album, but many other people don't have that luxury with the kinds of music they listen to.

This is a problem on Fiio products as well.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,939 of 6,795
Its the same philosophy with games companys as well - releasing broken content and THEN patching/fixing it later

This is just the modern "fastworks" approach to product development. The firmware definitely, and possibly the hardware as well, is a classic example of what they call a minimum viable product. "A minimum viable product has just those core features that allow the product to be deployed, and no more." The problem with the iBasso appears to be that the company does not, or is not capable of, eventually working out the bugs... let alone adding features that might make the software perform as well in its role as the hardware performs in its.

They will definitely keep following this model for the DX200 and beyond, since it's the same model their nearest competitors are following.

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,940 of 6,795
  Can somebody help me?
My DX80 cannot be powered up anymore. Even "charging" is not displayed. It seems dead.

I have replied to your PM.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 18, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,941 of 6,795
Hey guys, after a FULL afternoon of tweaking I can add more details to the erratic behavoir of the EQ.

I found out that, when the "Custom" preset is set WITH ALL THE SLIDERS IN THE "POSITIVE" RANGE, let's say, from R to L: +3 +3 +3 +2 +2 +2 +4 +6 + 8 +12 , the EQ WILL STOP AFFECTING SOUND AS SOON WE'LL CHANGE FOLDER...and won't resume itself until we'll change preset, then return to the Custom curve.

Conversely, when the EQ is set to include SOME (BUT NOT just ONE) NEGATIVE OR ZERO LEVEL PRESET, let's say form R to L: -2 -2  0  0 +2 +2 +4 +4 +6 +6 +10 the EQ WILL KEEP AFFECTING SOUND EVEN when SKIPPING FOLDERS !

Double checked a thousand times...with FW 1.4.0

Check this out, Paul, if you don't believe me!

CIao

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,943 of 6,795
  Hey guys, after a FULL afternoon of tweaking I can add more details to the erratic behavoir of the EQ.

I found out that, when the "Custom" preset is set WITH ALL THE SLIDERS IN THE "POSITIVE" RANGE, let's say, from R to L: +3 +3 +3 +2 +2 +2 +4 +6 + 8 +12 , the EQ WILL STOP AFFECTING SOUND AS SOON WE'LL CHANGE FOLDER...and won't resume itself until we'll change preset, then return to the Custom curve.

Conversely, when the EQ is set to include SOME (BUT NOT just ONE) NEGATIVE OR ZERO LEVEL PRESET, let's say form R to L: -2 -2  0  0 +2 +2 +4 +4 +6 +6 +10 the EQ WILL KEEP AFFECTING SOUND EVEN when SKIPPING FOLDERS !

Double checked a thousand times...with FW 1.4.0

Check this out, Paul, if you don't believe me!

CIao

This is strange and I forwarded it to the software people. We are currently using the FW 1.4.0 on more DX80s and it is working as we experienced in extensive testing before releasing this version.  We have tried it on various batches of DX80s with no problems arising from the FW. It would be expected all the DX80s would respond the same because the same parts are used.

We will continue to investigate why or how this affects some DX80s and not others. If you are experiencing problems please revert to the previous FW.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 18, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3,944 of 6,795
After two days of listening, I can say, for my particular usage, 1.4.0 finally has resolved all the problems I've faced before. So this is the fw version to which I can return in case of possible future problems :D

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,945 of 6,795
I just took the DX80 out of the DIGNIS case it was in literally for months. Pretty sweet - neither dust nor dirt inside, even at the edges although it is almost in daily use (even though I am still using a second self-made/-stitched automotive quality pleather case, there is about no dust whereas there was some when I used the silicone case). As the case creates almost no static and sits very tightly (like a second skin), almost no dust is attracted and nothing comes between the player and case. Although I prefer the better tactility of the volume buttons and upper end protection of the silicone case, I highly prefer the DIGNIS case.
If production costs allow, it would be kind of cool if the DX200 came with a leather or pleather case as standard, probably even in collaboration with DIGNIS. Or probably (which would be likely economically better as not everybody uses a case or likes leather) a less static silicone case, similar to the one that came with the DX90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back