iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Mar 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,451 of 6,795
Could you tell me how your serial begins? My dx80 is brand new, and serial begins with 151

But, I repeat: it produces the hiss only with one particular cable! Same IEMs with another cable (or with the same, but modified cable), or any other headphones I tried are silent.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,453 of 6,795

Is there any difference in sound using that Optical cable vs, the Coax?

I just spent 10min of close a/b listening and comparison, and I consistently hear with optical IC sound to be a little smoother and slightly more refined.  It's definitely not a placebo effect, and I do prefer optical interconnect over coax cable.  If your external dac/amp doesn't support toslink, coax cable is great, but if you do have an option (DX80, Opus#1, AK120ii, PAW5k), I would prefer to go with optical.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #3,454 of 6,795

I just spent 10min of close a/b listening and comparison, and I consistently hear with optical IC sound to be a little smoother and slightly more refined.  It's definitely not a placebo effect, and I do prefer optical interconnect over coax cable.  If your external dac/amp doesn't support toslink, coax cable is great, but if you do have an option (DX80, Opus#1, AK120ii, PAW5k), I would prefer to go with optical.

Cool, that was what I was hoping you where going to say. I know the Optical has no EMI like the Coax can be prone to. I will use it with my iDSD Micro. Does it stay plugged in good like the Coax?

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #3,455 of 6,795

Cool, that was what I was hoping you where going to say. I know the Optical has no EMI like the Coax can be prone to. I will use it with my iDSD Micro. Does it stay plugged in good like the Coax?

Solid connection.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,456 of 6,795
OK, thanks Lurker0 sorry to be obtuse, but how do I edit the tags in iTunes and which do I need to change?

To edit the tags in iTunes right click on the Album or Track and select Get Info (or select the album or track and press Comand-I). I would just add what is different to the Album tag, like album name (composer). If you select the complete album it will change all the tracks of that album.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,457 of 6,795

Solid connection.

@howdy

I second that: as long as I still owned the micro iDSD, I used it with the DX80 being digitally connected with a (more or less short) optical cable. Solid connection, no play in either device. Stays in firmly.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #3,458 of 6,795
To edit the tags in iTunes right click on the Album or Track and select Get Info (or select the album or track and press Comand-I). I would just add what is different to the Album tag, like album name (composer). If you select the complete album it will change all the tracks of that album.

Thanks, for that.  I've just tried it and it's worked.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #3,459 of 6,795
@howdy

I second that: as long as I still owned the micro iDSD, I used it with the DX80 being digitally connected with a (more or less short) optical cable. Solid connection, no play in either device. Stays in firmly.

I can third it.

I use DX80 optical out to the Tralucent DacAmp One, it's really stable in this case with a 75cm optical cable between them.

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #3,460 of 6,795
Well now I want to get an optical cable even though I usually prefer coax, hah. I work in a chemical factory that has a lot of electrical crap going on, maybe the optical cable will insure that none of that gets into my signal chain.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #3,461 of 6,795
Question; when booting up the DX80 will show but then disappears and it a blank screen for about 10 seconds tell the actual displays shows, is this normal? My DX90 shows the DX90 until the actual screen is displayed.

Mine does this...seems to be a function of how many songs are on the player....more songs, more delay.  This is an odd behavior I have seen after 1.1.4.

I normally listen in "All Music" mode.  The other day I rebooted the player from playing out of an artist folder that had only 10 songs in it and it booted immediately with no black screen delay. That may be worth experimenting on yours.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,462 of 6,795

Mine does this...seems to be a function of how many songs are on the player....more songs, more delay.  This is an odd behavior I have seen after 1.1.4.

I normally listen in "All Music" mode.  The other day I rebooted the player from playing out of an artist folder that had only 10 songs in it and it booted immediately with no black screen delay. That may be worth experimenting on yours.

Thats what I was thinking. I have 7500 songs on there and it must be doing a quick search. Maybe this is something Paul can look into, it does not really bother me I just wanted to know if it was normal.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #3,463 of 6,795

I have 7500 songs on there and it must be doing a quick search.

If you set DX80 up to play them all (e.g. randomly), don't be surprized about slow start.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,465 of 6,795
I actually used the all music function a few more times after the last time I mentioned it.  It is definitely very slow - with 2x200gb cards it takes a long time for the player to start up, a long time to change tracks, even a long time for the player to play the next track in the list.  I would say it's probably not fast enough to be usable...not sure why I didn't notice this before.

Not the end of the world but if something can be done it would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back