iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Mar 17, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #3,346 of 6,795
If I use this update will I still be able to revert to, say, 1.3.3 official if I want to?  Or rather, are there any limitations once I've applied the flash table correction update?

+1 to this

and another question. I don't know i it's even possible but is there any way to implement a "gapless on/off" slider on the line-out? Afaik it has nothing to do with the use of the internal amp which is excluded using the line-out, it should be just some sort of digital processing, a simple buffering. Right? Wrong?

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #3,347 of 6,795
  If I use this update will I still be able to revert to, say, 1.3.3 official if I want to?

Yes, you have nothing to loose! I did it forth and back many times. Actually, it is only a parameter to the kernel which is incorrect in the stock firmware. No re-partitioning of the flash is involved.

Can I use the factory tool to perform the updates?

I never used the Factory Tool myself. You may try, but I do remember that for DX50 and DX90 the Factory Tool refused to use unofficial firmware builds.

Nice explanation on fw change btw it's still named DX80FirmwareV1.3.3-L2 when I downloaded L3 version

Probably your browser messes with a cache... Here is the direct link:
https://github.com/Lurker00/DX80-firmware/releases/download/v1.3.3/DX80FirmwareV1.3.3-L3.zip

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #3,348 of 6,795
is there any way to implement a "gapless on/off" slider on the line-out?

I never used LO, and I don't understand your request: do you need a separate option for LO, or do you have a problem that gapless does not work with LO? Any way, you'd better address it to iBasso. If it does not work, I can't understand why, because it woud require additional efforts to disable gapless for LO when it turned on in options.

Moreover, I'd make gapless ON always by default, without a way to turn it off
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #3,349 of 6,795
Yes, you have nothing to loose! I did it forth and back many times. Actually, it is only a parameter to the kernel which is incorrect in the stock firmware. No re-partitioning of the flash is involved.

I never used the Factory Tool myself. You may try, but I do remember that for DX50 and DX90 the Factory Tool refused to use unofficial firmware builds.

Probably your browser messes with a cache... Here is the direct link:
https://github.com/Lurker00/DX80-firmware/releases/download/v1.3.3/DX80FirmwareV1.3.3-L3.zip

Thanks for the direct link, anyway I can confirm that factory tools also work flawlessly with your modified fw, I had trying with it at least twice

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #3,353 of 6,795
is there any way to implement a "gapless on/off" slider on the line-out?

I never used LO, and I don't understand your request: do you need a separate option for LO, or do you have a problem that gapless does not work with LO? Any way, you'd better address it to iBasso. If it does not work, I can't understand why, because it woud require additional efforts to disable gapless for LO when it turned on in options.

Moreover, I'd make gapless ON always by default, without a way to turn it off :)

EDIT: ok I should probably put some tobacco in what I smoke. Apparently this is not a problem. Only gain control looks like disabled using LO, gapless and DF seem to work.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #3,354 of 6,795

@Lurker0 please can you developed a L3 with default fonts?

+1 on this. Or perhaps make the new fonts a bit bigger .... ya know, for us blind people.
biggrin.gif

OK, 1.3.3L4 - same as L3, but with default fonts:

https://github.com/Lurker00/DX80-firmware/releases/download/v1.3.3/DX80FirmwareV1.3.3-L4.zip

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,355 of 6,795
@Twister6
How are you liking the Micro? I bought the DX80 for the Micro and like you said, works perfectly.

LOVE IT!!!  Got both nano iDSD and micro iDSD, so review to come :wink:  I just wish a sound quality of Micro would be packed in a footprint of Nano :wink:  I like it especially with DX80 due to large easy to reach playback buttons, very convenient!

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,358 of 6,795
Quick question regarding DX80 and Mojo.   Firstly is there a big improvement in the sound if using a mojo with the DX80, if so what is the optimal way to hookup the mojo to a DX80?

Thanks for any input you can provide

Mike

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #3,359 of 6,795
  Quick question regarding DX80 and Mojo.   Firstly is there a big improvement in the sound if using a mojo with the DX80, if so what is the optimal way to hookup the mojo to a DX80?

Thanks for any input you can provide

Mike

Personally, I dont like how mojo change the dx80 sound, make it tonally dark and airy in a wierd way. Optimal way is coaxial cable

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,360 of 6,795
So I didn't even realize that the DX80 had digital transport capabilities when I bought it, but man, am I glad I did! I was using a crappy old PC at work as a dedicated music source and going through the Schiit Wyrd to my Biforst/Asgard 2. The background was always noisy, no matter what computer I used at work (works fine on my home computer). I have tried power filters and conditioners, but nothing makes the damn thing sound good. I was almost considering trying to find an old Mac to see if that helped at all.

Well, using the DX80 as a transport (using the stock 1/8" to RCA cable) has totally fixed the background noise problems and that tight, controlled bass that I was falling in love with through my PM-3 is still there using the Bifrost as the DAC and then into the Asgard 2 and my LCD-2 headphones.

Again, fantastic job by iBasso. What a killer product! So happy I bought this, it has fixed so many problems for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back