iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Mar 10, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #3,197 of 6,795
  To my ears the DX80 is slightly on the warm side. That being said, I don't find it too warm at all. I'm coming from the X3 so the little warmth was a welcome change. I don't think it became less warm as it burnt in but I would say a bit crisper/livelier.

On a second thought I believe I might found it too warm because I tried it with my Final Audio Heaven V which are, although SingleBA, a bit sensitive to higer output impedance.
Therefore I probably liked the sound in combination with my A17 at 4 Ohms while at nearly 0 Ohm on the  . I will give the DX80 another try with different IEMs.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #3,199 of 6,795

Massdrop has a drop on the AKG K7xx, I have a pair and they sound wonderful ($199.00) with the DX80.

That's great - mine were £134 from Amazon, not a bad price for the UK!! Should get them tomorrow or Monday.

Awesome! Enjoy 
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #3,200 of 6,795
Just unboxed it, on 1.3.0. I feel good with the sound, but it's not a WOW effect yet. I hope it will get a bit more punchy, particularly for the bass. I am sure it will improve a lot throughout the burning ! 

Thus, the volume is a bit low for my Phillips Fidelio L1, I have to put the high gain and around 80 90, sometimes 100-110 for some classicals tracks. 

Is there a recommended volume during the burning process ? thkan you !

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #3,204 of 6,795

Can I use the burn-in thingy to burn in other devices like portable and desktop amps? Which is its impedance?

up

There are 2x SMD 32 Ohm resistors. You can easily burn them with a desktop amplifier which may output way above 0.1W. If you want to try, I'd suggest first to connect headphones to adjust the volume, and only then use this thingy.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #3,205 of 6,795

There are 2x SMD 32 Ohm resistors. You can easily burn them with a desktop amplifier which may output way above 0.1W. If you want to try, I'd suggest first to connect headphones to adjust the volume, and only then use this thingy.

Perdon my ignorance but they're 2 because they play as left&right channel/earpads, correct? So the actual impedance is in fact 32ohm right?

Anyway, gotcha, thanks for clarifying :)

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #3,208 of 6,795
On mobile right now so a bit hard to browse around, but what is the best firmware version in terms of overall stability and bug count? Has Lurker's optimizations made a positive impact to sound too?

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #3,209 of 6,795
On mobile right now so a bit hard to browse around, but what is the best firmware version in terms of overall stability and bug count? Has Lurker's optimizations made a positive impact to sound too?

Thanks!

It's a matter of opinion, what it does is minimize the background processes so it can primarily concentrate on playing music, it does make a difference.. But not a night and day difference.. However, yes, there is one to be noticed, but you have to know the song perfectly to notice the difference. Just knowing the difference is there is enough for people to say it's worth it, because at that point, You're getting everything the player has to offer.. Which is already a lot..

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #3,210 of 6,795
I tried the DX80 with my ATH-A900s which are 40 ohms and found the sound extremely lacking.  This is when I first got the device, though.  Based on some of the comments here it sounds like I ought to give them another shot.

In contrast it has always driven my Beyer Custom One Pros like a CHAMP.  24 bit CHVRCHES tracks will melt my eardrums.  Really excellent well controlled bass playing hiphop with the baffles on the phones opened all the way up.  With other sources, opening the baffles all the way just sounded ridiculous.  Completely uncontrolled and boomy.

For the record, I don't think there is any appreciable difference between software versions in terms of sound.  Hey, granted, the Custom One Pros are not the most high end phones so maybe there's something to those claims, but I just personally think it's nonsense.  The 1.3.3 software is really functioning very very well for me, I would not downgrade for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back