iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 21, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #2,881 of 6,795

grado sr225e

Well there you go. The grados are a brighter more analytical headphone and when used with a DAC like this one has it can be too much. If you used a warmer headphone you would not have had this issue. I see know you have the Jr. and that has a wolfson DAC which is a warmer DAC then this.

I've never heard any of the cheaper Grado phones, so I can't comment on the signature of the 225e, but I can say for sure that the DX80 pairs better with my GH-1 Grados than anything else I've tried with them.  I had actually tried them with an AK Jr and thought it sounded thin and lacked the power to drive them adequately (and they're pretty easy to drive).

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,889 of 6,795
Hello everybody, idem for me some clics pops sound even in dac mode.. Very strange equalizer also, it should not influence the volume..

Right! and this is NOT the only issue!
The equalizer, if you're using the "custom" preset will stop affecting the sound after each song, even if the display says that the EQ is still active, until you switch to another preset and return to the "custom" one.
That way, everything will be fine until the end of the very next song, when the EQ will shut itself off again.
Annoying, huh?
This issue doesn't happen with the other presets (Rock, Classic etc...), only with the Custom preset.
Informed Paul, he promised to fix this issue with the next FW.
Finger crossed!

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,890 of 6,795
1.3.3 has been working very well for me (though I don't use the EQ).

I was getting some nasty noise between tracks when I didn't have gapless turned on, but it went away when I turned it on.  Might be something to look at.

No issues with the corrupt artist tags yet!

There are a couple things I'd like to change...like when you finish playing an album and hit play again, it should play from the beginning again and not just the last track.  Or when you have shuffle enabled and hit play on a genre it should choose the first track it plays randomly and not just play the first track by alphabet.  These are minor, minor issues, though.  Overall, I think we're very close to where we need to be.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,892 of 6,795
For this reason I do not use the equalizer anyway degrades the sound quality too , though it would be useful for some of my mp3 of lower quality .

A good EQ, like the one on  AK120, does improve the sound considerably not only to the lower quality files, even because it is unlikely that someone's ears could have a perfectly flat response curve who maintains itself through the years.
Too bad the one on the DX80 is faulty... when it works it delivers an AMAZING sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back