iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 9, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #2,641 of 6,795
@Lurker0 I find that with your 1.3.0 L0 my dx80 got slower response for hardware buttons

Compared to the official 1.3.0, or what? How much slower?

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,643 of 6,795

Compared to the official 1.3.0, or what? How much slower?

Yes vs original fw seems it takes a more second to respond

Then you may revert to the official :) I'm already on 1.3.3, and don't want to return back. Not because I like something in it, but because I was flashing firmwares too many times in the past :)

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #2,644 of 6,795
After a few days with it I want to state my appreciation for firmware 1.3.3.

It seems rock solid, no problems, no clicks, working as it should and the sound is immense. It's so good I've gone back to low gain. The highs don't seem too sharp on this firmware with stunning sound clarity, depth and sound stage.

There are a few things to keep working on such as start up speed but things have moved on fast in the three weeks since I received my device. This is now becoming what I aspired for with the device. It is great work to get to this point so quickly. Thanks to iBasso.

My device operates with AKG 60NC, Sennheiser PX250 and Hifiman RE-400. Mostly the AKG.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #2,645 of 6,795
  So far I have tried 1.1.4, 1.2.1 and 1.3.0. In terms of SQ (which is my priority) 1.1.4 is the best version IMO. Especially after 1.3.0 which is too dark for me, I decided to stick with 1.1.4:)) However there are a lot of UI improvements which would be really nice to have. 

It would be appreciated to have more reviews of 1.3.3 vs.1.1.4.

Paul, I am sure there are many of us willing to have a new FW with 1.1.4 SQ + new UI improvements.    

I find 1.3.3 to be pretty darn close to 1.1.4 with regards to SQ and worth switching to with the improvements of 1.3.3 and prior.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,646 of 6,795

I personally prefer the sound of 1.1.4.
It is true that 1.3.3 is clearer and has better separation, but it is still a bit to sharp for me. 
I have a Philips Fildelio X2 and a RHA MA750 IEM, both warm and with some emphasis on the lower end.
I have tinnitus, a constant peep in my ears, sometimes more, sometimes less,but always there. I find the sharper sound profiles worsen my peep, so i do like 1.1.4 more.
What it lacks in separation en width, 1.1.4 makes it up with musicallity. The sound is more whole and music in its entirety is more pleasant, fun.
If you are a (more) analytical listener, i think you would prefer 1.3.3.
Bass seems to a bit more present on 1.1.4 and the overall experience is just a bit smoother on 1.1.4.

There is no arguing about the UI. That's better in 1.3.3, and the lock-function is just perfect. But hey, it's the sound that matters most.
I dont have any issues with 1.1.4, i use the UI the same way as i would use it in 1.3.3 so the enhancements to the UI are of no consequence for me.
I just miss the lock-function and the EQ. On 1.1.4 the EQ's highest 2 frequencies aren't working. So the EQ is pretty useless on 1.1.4.
So im glad i like the sound of 1.1.4 as it comes out-of-the-box. 

I hope i could of some use with my experience with the different FW's.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,647 of 6,795
I 100% agree with you on the "musicality" of 1.1.4.  I guess people each have their favourites based on their other equipment, tastes and music styles.  For me, 1.1.4 is way out ahead of the others.

It's a shame it is is somewhat buggy though.  I generally choose my music via folder navigation on an 'Artist' / 'Album title' folder naming convention.  The issue with 1.1.4 is that it doesn't like apostrophe ( ' ) characters in folder or file names. If a folder name contains an apostrophe the DX80 plays the first track but displays the previous folder art and then reverts to playing the contents of the previous folder.  Ditto if track 1 contains an apostrophe.

Renaming the folders / track file names seems to remove this issue.  A compromise, I guess.  The UI still shows the tags from the files.

I live in hope of an update that has the modern UI and fixes but sounds 100% faithful to 1.1.4.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #2,650 of 6,795
It is interesting that you talk about USB Cable quality and DX80 as USB DAC.
I found that with my recently made custom cables (Teflon, Silver coated, silver soldered - length 25cm - AWG 20/20) i get the best performance/sound.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #2,651 of 6,795
  It is interesting that you talk about USB Cable quality and DX80 as USB DAC.

I was speaking about digital signal transfer, when not a good cable prevents DX80 to work, or limits its capabilities. Not those esoteric stuff like sound signatures of digital cables
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #2,653 of 6,795
  I was speaking about digital signal transfer, when not a good cable prevents DX80 to work, or limits its capabilities. Not those esoteric stuff like sound signatures of digital cables
tongue.gif

There have been tests from Würth Elektronik clearly stating that noise can be transferred even on the D+ / D- Lines and will cause the stream on USB Audio to sound different.
As it is not a File Transfer, but more of a isochronous data "stream" - the noise level inside these lines can affect the sound output.
For a file transfer i agree that every cable within normal USB specifications will have the same data rate.

On Sound i disagree - the brain is a supercomputer and can take up even the slightest changes in sound. A subtle noise along a frequency range will not show up on any of the widely available measuring devices and still be audible to the human ear.

I am not a fan of 1000 Dollar Cables, that's why i build the cables myself. Generally speaking i believe more into a USB Cable changing the sound, than in a firmware revision (of course i accept both as plausible because electronics are way more complex and fragile to outside factors than many people think).

Also to keep that "esoteric stuff" going - whatever you can measure it or not - does not make any difference as long as for yourself the difference is audible. In the quantum field (oh oh) everything is possible - if you observe a particle it changes its state.. the human brain does not care if it is a real event or a placebo. So i will use my cable, get the Sound benefits (real or not) - and then i will flash your firmware - get the sound benefits (real or not) - and just be happy.
End of line

:Data transfer finished with: 0 Errors

in case of delivery failure due to error - no retrying...

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #2,654 of 6,795
whatever, everyone has a different take on this. I just enjoy my dx80 now.

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #2,655 of 6,795
Hi I have a problem with my DX80, both with hd598 and now also with the degree sr225e is the sound too bright and annoying and yet it is strange the DX80 2 dac Cirrus analog sound, however is far from another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back