iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #2,479 of 6,795
For all of the below, I am running 1.2.1, just contributing some info...

For the record and for the search engines I solved the problem with semicolons showing up in the music library by removing id3v2 tags from all my FLAC files.  I used Musicbrainz picard.  In the program I opened the folder and let it see all the files.  I did *not* hit the scan button - if you do this it will recognize the files and overwrite your tags with the ones it finds.  I let the list fill out, then clicked the save button with all the files still listed on the left side of the app.  I actually did this on the microsd card itself and had it do all of the files, not just the ones with the id3 tags.  I let it run for a while and when it was finished I did a factory reset, rescanned my cards, and everything was perfect.  It takes a bit, but I just let it run.  Way easier than trying to track down individual files/folders that had the issue.

One thing I have noticed is that the DX-80 loves factory resets.  I have 2x200gb cards, both almost completely full so I am pushing it pretty hard.  Rescanning the cards is just not a good idea.  Music will disappear even though I never touched that folder/album, it will fail to recognize certain tags and have them show up with no artist, etc.  I have come to regard a factory reset as a prerequisite for any significant changes to my tags/library.

I have noticed that the player will scan any folders it doesn't know about when you click on them in directory view.  So if you just want to add new music I would add it to the card, NOT rescan, and just go and click on the new folder in directory view.  I haven't tried this yet, but it seems to work when a rescan causes music to disappear.

The player sounds amazing, I have no issues with sound quality whatsoever.  It can be a bit laggy in the interface, but certainly very functional.  All of my album art works fine, etc. 

Overall I am really pleased with this guy.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,481 of 6,795

I have noticed that the player will scan any folders it doesn't know about when you click on them in directory view.  So if you just want to add new music I would add it to the card, NOT rescan, and just go and click on the new folder in directory view.  I haven't tried this yet, but it seems to work when a rescan causes music to disappear.

The player sounds amazing, I have no issues with sound quality whatsoever.  It can be a bit laggy in the interface, but certainly very functional.  All of my album art works fine, etc. 

Overall I am really pleased with this guy.

I just tried this and it works fine, Good Tip!

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #2,483 of 6,795
I went back to 1.1.4 and I activated the eq

In my case, using the same 1.1.4 version, I can spot a non responsiveness of the EQ to various presets. One certain thing is that when I activate the presets, the volume of the device seem to suddenly go down...As far as I remember, the 1.1.4 had some problems with the EQ.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #2,485 of 6,795
In my case, using the same 1.1.4 version, I can spot a non responsiveness of the EQ to various presets. One certain thing is that when I activate the presets, the volume of the device seem to suddenly go down...As far as I remember, the 1.1.4 had some problems with the EQ.

Thats normal. It prevents distortion when you enhance certain frequencies.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,486 of 6,795
Went back to 1.1.4, not because of bugs, but SQ. It just sounds more intimate, vivid & comfortable, while 1.3.0 is kind of too forceful & punchy for me.

Same here. To me, 1.3.0 is definitely more punchy. I'd call 1.3.0 more vivid, too much so. 1.3.0 has less coherence in the sound. 1.1.4 is more wholesome, the different instruments and voice just fit nicer together then on 1.3.0. To bad i have to miss out on the lock-function. :frowning2:

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,487 of 6,795
I'm really pleased with the new firmware. No more card reading issues causing skips. I love the new slider to speed up looking through big library. The sq is maybe a little off with recessed vocals and such but its worth it for the rest of the updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back